Didn't want to hijack the noisy dog thread...
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Didn't want to hijack the noisy dog thread...

Default Didn't want to hijack the noisy dog thread...

Rose is now 11+ months old. She's a 55 pound ball of fire yet she's well behaved and quiet in the holding blind, on the way to the line and watching the marks go down. On land retrieves she's quiet as she charges out but on water marks, when she's released she gives out a war cry and keeps it up for the first few yards on the way to the fall. It's as though she's frustrated that she can't go as fast in water as she does on land.

I'm not sure that this is even a fault in the eyes of judges or that it needs correcting. If it is a fault I have no idea how to address it. She has passed three for three Junior level hunt tests. Her line manners were fine. Two of the three were in running water so no vocalization then.

Thoughts?
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." ~Rex Carr

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

How close are the water marks? You might think about stretching them out.

My first MH/QAA dog was like that. Once she left after release, especially on water, it was a yip, and sometimes if she was in a big rush and couldn't swim fast enough (in her world), it was a few more yips and some whines, not loud but like she was muttering to herself in frustration. Judges never dropped her on noise after the release, most said they didn't care if it was a little bit of noise after the dog left. Nor could I ever fix it without creating more problems, so, that's the way she ran. Now I've seen some that flat out yodel, howl, scream on the way to the bird, that's a bit much for me to live with, but no idea how to fix it. As a judge, a few yips after dog goes isn't going to get much noted, but loud, prolonged noise much of the way will be. Not saying it should be OK, if your dog is young, stop running her and continue training and working with someone who understands the issue would be my advice, but the reality of judging is that many won't note some noise after the dog leaves the line, particularly if the dog is good everywhere else.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs
    Rainmaker's Bella Luna, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Southern Gamble, MH/QA2
    Port Bay's TNT Dynamite, MH/QA2
    Rainmaker's Working Class Payday, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Redhead, MH
    Rainmaker's Early Bird Special, MH
    Rainmaker's Pink Is The New Red, MH

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

It would be helpful if you could post a video. I don't think this is the noise issue as identified in Randy's thread.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack" RIP
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson" RIP (5/26/01-6/18/15)
    Castile Creeks Rawhide, MH "Rowdy"

Was the dog forced to the water in swim-by?
    Darrin Greene

A little young to be overly worried about it, as it should all be addressed in Water force where she has to learn to wait & handle in the water. As long as she quite on the line and while the birds are going down for now you should be ok. Correction on dogs I've seen usually involves collar vibration-nick and quite; but a young dog you don't want to put them off the marks or the water, with collar, until you've taught the collar in the water, with water forcing.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    How close are the water marks? You might think about stretching them out.
    This weekend the water marks were mostly Senior level (singles). She's a talented marker. She's started on land doubles and is steady for the two marks. It's as Rainmaker described. She seems to want to get to the mark faster than possible and is frustrated. We just started "Double T" so it will be a few weeks before she is water forced and starts swim by.
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." ~Rex Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    It would be helpful if you could post a video. I don't think this is the noise issue as identified in Randy's thread.
    Agree, it's not. That's why I started a new thread. I posted because in my limited experience this doesn't seem to be a problem but I was hoping for some others' perspectives.

This issue likely to fade away as dog learns to be patient on a swim. However, if in addition you see swimming slow down and maybe with "floating" you have a different issue. Floating is where you notice back end coming out of water while dog whines and swims forward very slow.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- 2016)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

What does dog do if there is a long water entry? A long water entry is where the dog has to run on land for a bit before it enters the water. Is dog quiet on land for 30 or 50 yards, but then starts yelping when the swim starts?
    Last edited by Renee P.; 04-04-2017 at 06:01 PM.