Versa Launchers Vs. Thunder Launchers
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Versa Launchers Vs. Thunder Launchers

Default Versa Launchers Vs. Thunder Launchers

I am getting ready to change my main launcher equipment and am looking at either the Versa 6 or the Thunder 1000 Other than the obvious, Thunder is a 10 shooter and Versa is a 6, I am wanting to hear from those that have used both and hear the pros & cons. Reliability, user friendly, ruggedness, etc. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pipe Creek Retrievers View Post
    I am getting ready to change my main launcher equipment and am looking at either the Versa 6 or the Thunder 1000 Other than the obvious, Thunder is a 10 shooter and Versa is a 6, I am wanting to hear from those that have used both and hear the pros & cons. Reliability, user friendly, ruggedness, etc. Thanks in advance.
    I have not seen or used the versa launcher.I have used and continue to use thunder equipment.I own everything in their line up and am very pleased....Most dogs that leave here the owners end up buying a 200 or two.
    Doug and Danielle are stand up people and go out of their way for the customer......Jim
    Last edited by jd6400; 04-07-2017 at 06:08 AM.
    Jim Weitzel

The "right decision"to a retriever is generally that decision which feels good or is the most convenient.So its the trainers job to teach the dog that what feels good is that which pleases the trainer.

Cotton Pershall

Both are reliable. Thunder takes an adjustment to get use to timing the launch sequence but it's not hard. Versa is probably more durable. You can't throw around the Thunder. It will mess up the timing, etc. Thunder is easier to load. Thunder bumpers are lighter, so better with puppies and fine for old dogs.

i like the Thunder launchers.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This QA2
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg NDL, QA2
    This Beer Is Making Me Awesome

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I've had a TL 5 shooter for 5 years now and like it. Not sure about the Versa.

Jeff Warren

Remember the TL only sends birds one way....I have them both and I would rec VL 4-6 and the TL 5 ( the TL 5 is more resilient than the 10...the 10 will give you head aches)
    There is something about the outside of a dog which makes the inside of man feel good

[QUOTE=Terry Marshall;1734994]Remember the TL only sends birds one way....I have them both and I would rec VL 4-6 and the TL 5 ( the TL 5 is more resilient than the 10...the 10 will give you head a

Not quite true.If you have the thunder turntable ,you have a 360 degree of angles...Sorry to hear of your troubles with the 10 shooter.I got 4 that have been very reliable.....Like bubba said you can't toss them around.Jim
    Jim Weitzel

The "right decision"to a retriever is generally that decision which feels good or is the most convenient.So its the trainers job to teach the dog that what feels good is that which pleases the trainer.

Cotton Pershall

I bought a versa launcher 4-shooter. Loved it. So much so that I bought a second base and made two 2 shooters! I like the versatility of them as it allows me to rotate and angle my launches pretty much in any direction I want. Plus the way it's designed it allows you to add on additional launchers if you want. If there's a down fall at this point I would have to say carrying them around is a bit cumbersome. But I highly recommend the shoulder carrying strap to anybody that gets one.

Since getting a Versa Launcher 6 shooter my 5 shooter T-bird rarely get used. Took some operator errors to get it set up the way I want it mostly but problems are rare and usually operator. Thunder got out of adjustment once, I sent it back and the bill was pretty high for an adjustment I thought. Versa had me on the phone getting my bugs out and replaced some parts at no charge, no questions except technical and great service.
    John Cottenham aka jacduck in many circles before the internet

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

I am also very interested in versa launchers. I know a few people personally that have had issues with thunder launchers and customer service was lacking.

I love my Versa launcher, base can hold up to 8 shots that can go in different directions, each shot is the same in distance (or can be made different by changing loads) for consistent marks. A 2nd base can be added for up to 8 more shots from the same handheld no switching buttons(they connect to one another with a single plug), and a third base etc etc... Any hand held bumper(even the Doken ones for handhelds) can be used.
    Thunder takes an adjustment to get use to timing the launch sequence but it's not hard, but each mark is never the same, all shots are at the same angle. Your stuck at ten, you can not plug another in line. They seem to have some indexing issue from time to time? Proprietary bumpers have to be used.
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman