Steadiness and Honoring
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steadiness and Honoring

Default Steadiness and Honoring

What do you guys do to work with dogs who are really all go on the line? Talking about serious creeping on the line and everything that comes with it. My dog gets really amped and I'm looking for ideas to really work on this and get it right. When we are training alone its all sunshine and butterflies, however the second a launcher or bird boy gets involved its all engines go!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Ruh roh.

Exiting his crate. Exiting the kennel run. Getting into the pick up truck. Getting out of the pick up truck. Opening a door. Sitting on the front porch. Heeling from the porch to the drive way. Picking up his dog dish. Filling the dog dish. Putting the dog dish on the floor. Going up the stairs. Going down the stairs. Every day. In every way. With everyone in the home. Without exception.

To start with.
    Magister venator aliquando si deus vult

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln_retrievers View Post
    What do you guys do to work with dogs who are really all go on the line? Talking about serious creeping on the line and everything that comes with it. My dog gets really amped and I'm looking for ideas to really work on this and get it right. When we are training alone its all sunshine and butterflies, however the second a launcher or bird boy gets involved its all engines go!
    Seeking advice on the internet for this would be like going to Auto Zone for advice about a turbocharger problem in your Ferrari. Shorten the learning curve and seek the help of a quality professional trainer (there are several in your state) or go to a Pat Burns bootcamp http://www.eliteretrievers.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Crate check, exiting kennel run check, getting into truck check, opening doors check, sitting on porch check, heeling from porch to truck or driveway check, picking up food or water check, putting down food or water check, stairs up or down check, all those are covered, with such etiquette as well!!!! ugh..its frustrating. A little more into it, we worked on steadiness in the yard, throwing marks-singles, doubles, triples, and even blinds and we have that down well....its once we get to a field where we are working with a BB or a launcher that he decides he has forgotten all of our practice..

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Seeking advice on the internet for this would be like going to Auto Zone for advice about a turbocharger problem in your Ferrari. Shorten the learning curve and seek the help of a quality professional trainer (there are several in your state) or go to a Pat Burns bootcamp http://www.eliteretrievers.com
    Ok i see the analogy here, we have been going to group trainings once a week to start this out, and thats where he goes bananas, I'm in agree-ance that we need to seek professional help..I will check out the bootcamp..!

There are probably some good Ferrari mechanics here but Ed is right. Need to see the dog and you together, etc
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow" RIP (9/12/05-11/23/19)
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack" RIP
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson" RIP (5/26/01-6/18/15)
    Castile Creeks Rawhide, MH "Rowdy"

Listen to Dr Ed.
    Tom Dorroh
    Boston, GA

Flinch and I will be in the state Park this morning (prolly most mornings this week)... about 8:00 or so.... We always work on obedience stuff...

I built a plastic model of a Testarosa once... I ant no mechanic though... In fact,, I am the epitamy of that Internet dude he warns you about... But I am good natured,,and LOVE doughnuts.. and Diet Coke,,even Pop Tarts..!!!!!

You are welcome to join in..

(I bet right now,, ED is P.M.'g him right now,, warning him to take a wide birth of Dufus Gooser)

It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I actually like Classic cars too.. and especially classic American pick-ups...

Nothin sexier than a 53 Dodge Power Wagon with a box a fresh made Glazed doughnuts on the front seat...

I drive a older (Subjective) dark blue ratty looking Ford 150.... with dog slobber on the winders..

I will be dressed in a white shirt,, with short shorts... Cant miss me..
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

To the OP, short of seeking pro help, you might give the Traffic Cop video by Bill Hillman a try. Really laid a good foundation for my pups that has carried through to advanced levels of training. As they catch on, you can add other dogs, people, sounds, locations to the mix, and more incentives, such as shackled birds, launchers, etc. Establish and maintain a high standard!