Binoculars question for optics experts
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Binoculars question for optics experts

Default Binoculars question for optics experts

I did a search here for what binoculars to get to help my poor distance vision on long blinds at FT distances. My deadgrass Chesapeakes blend in so well I'm having problems even finding them past 300 yds. unless the terrain is short, bright green grass. The consensus seemed to be the best choice was the Leupold Yosemite 6x30. However, these seem to be no longer available, according to searches and clicking on links on old threads (not ancient, but a year or two old links). Anyone know if they are still available and, if they're not, what would be the 2nd best choice?
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Julie,
    Gander Mountain has them on sale now for $79.

http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/...438648#reviews
    Last edited by road kill; 05-04-2017 at 08:15 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory, the MOMENT." ~ Aldo Leopold

Personally I am a fan of the below company for all things optics and scopes, great company and product is also great. More expensive than the above suggestion for $79...depends on how much quality you want in binos for the purpose of seeing the dogs working.
    Michael Whitby

"You can tell a lab, ask a golden but you must negotiate with a Chessie."

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

You can't go wrong with Yosemite especially @ GM price. I have used them for several years at hunt test & FT. I also own much higher priced optics but for the dog work the Yosemite are used.

I stress quality glass . But would suggest viewing through as many binoculars as you can before purchasing . It's alot of variables to consider . I'm a fan of high end glass ,I would keep the power fairly low . Quality glass = less eye fatigue if used for extended periods.

I have the Yosemite's and they are wonderful!
    I own both 6x and 8x.

I always chime in when this topic shows up as my other hobby besides dog training is optics. Over the years I've owned, used and tested many high end "alpha" by now, Leitz Trinovid, Fujinon, Pentax, Leica Trinovid and Ultravids, Zeiss Victory, Nikon SE and Swarovski ELs. The little Yosemite's are not as well built as the $1,000-$2,000 models, but the optics are right up there. 6x30 is a very comfortable size, that has a very deep depth of field, they fit compact against the chest, are water proof and lightweight.

Most dog people use the cumbersome, mirror optic Busnells, but these binos are not waterproof, hang awkwardly and have terrible optics. I could use my super-duper Ultravids, but they aren't the right tool for the job. The Yosemites are a no-brainer, believe me. Oh, also lifetime warranty by Leupold.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I always chime in when this topic shows up as my other hobby besides dog training is optics. Over the years I've owned, used and tested many high end "alpha" by now, Leitz Trinovid, Fujinon, Pentax, Leica Trinovid and Ultravids, Zeiss Victory, Nikon SE and Swarovski ELs. The little Yosemite's are not as well built as the $1,000-$2,000 models, but the optics are right up there. 6x30 is a very comfortable size, that has a very deep depth of field, they fit compact against the chest, are water proof and lightweight.

Most dog people use the cumbersome, mirror optic Busnells, but these binos are not waterproof, hang awkwardly and have terrible optics. I could use my super-duper Ultravids, but they aren't the right tool for the job. The Yosemites are a no-brainer, believe me. Oh, also lifetime warranty by Leupold.
    Your previous reviews of these, plus trying different ones friends have had at trials, have sold me on the Leupold 6x30, so hoping it's my banana republic internet and the Gander Mt. link will work eventually. However, in my searches, the 8x30s seem to be readily available and less expensive, what is the difference? Not that price is a huge object, $79 seems very reasonable for what I need.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Update today. Gander Mountain was [email protected] public auction to Camping World. They had over 180 stores. Camping World plans to close half. Be alert for sales and etc..

Bought a pair of the Yosemite's last year and Love them. In my opinion, you are not going to find a better quality optic for the price!