Binoculars question for optics experts - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Binoculars question for optics experts

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Your previous reviews of these, plus trying different ones friends have had at trials, have sold me on the Leupold 6x30, so hoping it's my banana republic internet and the Gander Mt. link will work eventually. However, in my searches, the 8x30s seem to be readily available and less expensive, what is the difference? Not that price is a huge object, $79 seems very reasonable for what I need.
    For dog work, particularly water blinds, you want the 6x30.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

The Bushnell Wide Angles everyone uses are horrible binos by any standard, but the wide field of view makes it easy to pick out a dog that is moving fast on land. I borrowed a set of the Yosemites a few weeks ago to run a WB and liked them a lot. The optics are good and the field of view is good enough for a waterblind.

For the money I think Vortex is tough to beat. Excellent glass, awesome warranty and first class customer service.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rich65 View Post
    For the money I think Vortex is tough to beat. Excellent glass, awesome warranty and first class customer service.
    Do they have a waterproof 6x30 with diopter adjustment and lifetime warranty for under $100.00? Vortex is great competition in the mid priced optics along with Zen Ray, Hawke, Pentax and a bunch of others, and the Yosemites are no slouch in the optics department, but absolute optical resolution isn't necessary for dog training.

We need an adequate optic that is compact, easy to handle with one hand while we blow a whistle and handle with the other all while holding a swimming-running dog in sight through the binoc. Changing focus while the dog is running isn't an option, fogging in the rain, no dice. Keeping dog in the field of view between 100-400 yards is a different requirement than birding or big game hunting.

MidwayUSA also has the 6X on clearance, $82 with free shipping. I believe there is 1-2 left in stock.....

All good advice so far...
    You can spend a lot of money on binoculars and I have but Leupold makes great products.
    Try to physically compare different models/price points and buy the model you are most comfortable with,
    Tarnation of Apache
    Tumblin TurboJet

I want to thank everyone for their help! Especially Dr. Ed, that link worked and I ordered myself a pair. I have tried several kinds over the past year (and I own 2 pairs of binoculars, one cheap, one higher end, but neither much good for what I need them for). The ones that worked best for what I need them for were the Leupold 6x30 but they are now hard to find. The Gander Mt. link was for 8x30. Was hesitant to buy those without trying them.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

I am a big Vortex fan, really good glass for the money!

Leupold Yosemite 6x30

BandH.com

I just got their most recent catalog & they are $125. Up significantly from last year when I bought mine (& also only in gray now, I got black), but well worth it. Depth of field so good for our FT distances that you basically never need to focus them.

Connie
    NAFTCH FTCH Flatlands Sledgehammer "Sledge" (3/2005 - 1/2018)
    FC AFC FTCH AFTCH Flatlands Locked N Loaded. "Ready" (3/7/2007 - 2/25/2017)
    AFC AFTCH Windcrests Game On "Eli"
    Mapleponds Packing Heat "Colt"
    FTCH AFTCH Quackaddict Voodoo Child, Jamie