The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Blinds

Banned

Default Master Blinds

The last two tests I have went to the blinds were placed exactly where a mark was in the test. I do not mean "near" the mark these were the exact spot where a mark was on all blinds. A guy trains and teaches a dog not to go back to an old mark and a Master test places each and every blind on an old fall??? I should mention was the same judge in both tests. Is this the "norm" now in Master tests?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I hope not.

Seems like a way to trick well trained dogs to me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like someone that really doesn't train retrieving dogs.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Joe Schimpf

HRCH UH River Joes Lil Supa Dupa-Dee.......500pt. club
    River Joes Lil Homeboy
    River Joes On Dee Tiger's Tail

How can this be a new norm when one judge in Minnesota did it two weekends in a row? New norm for that judge maybe. Avoid that judge.
    Tom Dorroh
    Boston, GA

Have never seen that in a test, and hope that I don't.

Like John said, the experienced dogs are going to stay out of that area, and if the young dogs go to an old fall and get rewarded with a blind, it's going to really screw them up when have to run a blind through an old fall.

So, in the two tests that you saw this happen at, how successful were the dogs on that blind? I would imagine that the dogs were pretty successful.

Did they run that blind to set them up in another blind to run through an old fall? Was it a double blind, first blind to an old fall and then a second through an old fall, to specifically mess with them? I think there are a lots of ways to challenge a dog on blind without doing something like that.
    Ron Rhodes
    www.portlandlabrador.com
    A Lab has no appreciation for the artistic value of a bonsai tree, but does appreciate their potential as chew toys.

Banned

Each blind at both tests was either just short of a mark with the same line or exactly on the spot of an old fall. IMO the dogs that really could not run good blinds would line the blind many dogs you could tell very nervous about taking a cast into the old mark which was now the blind. I do not judge shop, I go to the nearest test to me, in the future will certainly avoid this judge. The HT game is not only learning how to train your dog but also which tests(judges) to avoid. Each blind could have been placed even 10 feet east or west of the fall and say 25 yards past. This would have demostarted a Master level dog's ability to line though a scented area.

I have no idea if the judge can train or handle at a Master level but running under him I would say not.

The solution is simple. Write a letter with the names of as many handlers on it as you can get saying that if you see that judges name on their premium you will not attend their test. Mail it to every club secretary you can.
    Duckworth Retrievers

Sounds like they set it up so the line to the blind was under the arc of the mark.

Not that I am in favor of this technique but surely the judge would be able to tell if one had control of the dog on a blind. Should not the dog go where you tell them to go? I am prepared for the firestorm.....BSEG!
    John Cottenham aka jacduck in many circles before the internet

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."