Blinds "to admit defeat" or "to stick it out", how do you decide - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blinds "to admit defeat" or "to stick it out", how do you decide

Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar

You can turn to your judges and as ,"Have I been scored to the area?". They can score a blind without a retrieve if they so choose. This is primarily seen when the blind planter forgets to put out a bird.

Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey SH ***
    Soon to be the next big thing.

Andrew's Baby Saint 4/20/01-9/10/15
    The queen bee. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world. Forever my baby girl

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Willows Labs View Post
    You can turn to your judges and as ,"Have I been scored to the area?". They can score a blind without a retrieve if they so choose. This is primarily seen when the blind planter forgets to put out a bird.
    A bird is put there for a reason.
    Tom Dorroh
    Boston, GA

"It's hot, this is a young dog with only so many cast in him, working in a very small area, he gets confused"

So what is your standard?
    Maybe battle on until the dog stops working with you then you have a decision to make.
    If the dog is working, understanding, giving effort, battle on.
    If the dog has blown up or blowing you off, you did the right thing. Pick them up, train, live to battle another day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar

No dispute. Just saying that the judges may have any number of things about evaluating the blind based on all of the work of previous dogs. Worst that can happen is they'll say no.

Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey SH ***
    Soon to be the next big thing.

Andrew's Baby Saint 4/20/01-9/10/15
    The queen bee. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world. Forever my baby girl

Don't belittle yourself by asking for a gimmie when your dog didn't do the work. I have never been asked, never heard of and have never judged a dog to the area unless BB forgot to put down a bird.
    Tom Dorroh
    Boston, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    I was told to let the judge do the judging. So keep trying until the judge says otherwise and tells you to pickup.
    We have always been told the same thing. But we are newbies that have struggled with that same line. Thanks for asking the question.

Just a couple of weeks ago I handled Gage to a blind across water and up onto shore about another 30 yards. There was enough cover that the bird could not be seen unless close up. One "sit" whistle and a "toot-toot" pickup whistle. He looked around with a confused look on his face. I turned to the judges and said that there was no bird there. One asked the blind planter if there was a bird. He answered "I think so". I said I'd bet my ribbon that there isn't. She started to walk around the pond to check it out herself. I suggested she bring a bird with her just in case. All the while Gage maintained his sit at the blind marker. There was no bird planted. The judge quietly dropped the duck behind Gage and walked back. I signaled him to pick up which he did and brought it back. This all took over five minutes.
    Someone in the gallery said "I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself".

I love this game!
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." ~Rex Carr

Pat Burns says "Never give up on your dog." Of course at some point you might decide you're doing more damage than good if pup is truly blowing you off. In this case, seems as if pup was trying but was not successful. I might have been inclined to stick with it until the dreaded shoulder tap or it was apparent that pup was getting into trouble. Can't second guess your decision at the line.
    Good Dog Ranch
    Bob Swift

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Willows Labs View Post
    They can score a blind without a retrieve if they so choose.
    No, they can't. If a bird has not been placed they can score to the area but a bird must be put out for the retrieve. If a bird is down and pup does not pick it up, game over.
    Good Dog Ranch
    Bob Swift

The dog might be blinking the bird....so i would have a hard time believing a judge would pass a dog because it made it to 'the spot'.