Hunt Test Questions ???
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunt Test Questions ???

Default Hunt Test Questions ???

I'm going to a double hunt test this weekend as support for my husband. He is running in two Senior stakes (not likely to pass ). I will have lots of time on my hands and have a new Go Pro camera. If anyone has questions about Hunt Tests or wants me to document how things work, let me know. What questions or curiosities do you have? I will be at every stake documenting how Junior, Senior and Master work. I have served as Marshal for each stake and ran numerous times in each.

So ask away and I will report and film! I'm just trying to fill my time and be useful.

P.S. And yes, I am volunteering and helping while I"m there.

Jen

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Jennifer,

Perfect timing on this post as I plan on running my very first test, JR, but the registration is not open yet. I am mostly wondering on how flexible the judge is on the line. As I understand it only flat collar is permitted, but you can have him on lead all the way to the line and when you release the lead you can put a finger under his collar before releasing. We have really been working on his line manners so I think he would be fine, but I will take the cautionary step if permitted by rules. I understand there are two water and two land singles within 100 yds.

But I am interested in the whole process.

Any information is very welcome. I get nervous just thinking about this. LOL

Will do Gerry. Thanks for the questions. If you think of more, please let me know!

It is hard for me to remember the questions and quandaries that come to mind when you're first starting the sport so I hope more people will chime in to let me know what I should focus on for them.

On Monday I will edit the videos together and share here and on Facebook.

Jen

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Gerry, I can tell you right now that you can hold the dog's collar by two fingers at the line while the bird is launched.

When you get to the line, take a deep breath, un clip the lead, coil it up and stick the whole thing in your pocket with none of it popping out. Then take hold of the collar, take a breath and use your other hand to silently signal for the bird.

Thanks Jennifer for the tips. Also, I understand you can have words of praise but NO words of correction. Is that correct?

Funny thing is I never intended to run tests as I primarily just have him for hunting. He will be 2 in August. I recently joined a training group and most run hunt tests. Trying it not to get to my head, but most in the group couldnt believe I was not running him in hunt tests. Most in the group says he should be able to go thru JR pretty quick, so the only one that can screw this up is me. Just kidding, as I know this is new to Kodi and myself, so expect the unexpected. The great thing about working with the group is being able to work on his line manners/ holding blind/ set ups, etc. Three weeks ago, when I first joined he was pretty vocal and just the repetition with the line he has improved tremendously, but still worries me with all those dogs and handlers.

One more question. At what point should I air the dog? As soon as I can when I get there or so many dogs before my number is called?

I think you're going to have a great time and that you're going to get hooked in this sport! And yes, if your dog is two and used to hunting and group training, you will likely do very well indeed!

The key about interaction at the line is to not try to unduly influence or intimidate your dog. You really shouldn't have to talk to the dog much at all, except to give cues. The Junior is about natural ability plus delivery to hand: Watching a real bird go down, running through cover or swimming through water to get to the bird then bringing it back and delivering to hand. It is not about testing highly trained behavior.

That said, it may be good to think of your first Hunt Test as a practice run. Making mistakes is not a sin. You can ask questions to the judges while you're in the last holding blind being invited to the line. The judges will likely be happy to answer any questions as long as you are brief.

Make sure you visit the Senior stake while you're there, so you can get a good idea of what to train for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Gerry, I can tell you right now that you can hold the dog's collar by two fingers at the line while the bird is launched.

When you get to the line, take a deep breath, un clip the lead, coil it up and stick the whole thing in your pocket with none of it popping out. Then take hold of the collar, take a breath and use your other hand to silently signal for the bird.
    Just to be clear, there is nothing in the book about "two fingers". I think the term used is "gently hold".
    Tom Dorroh
    Boston, GA

Yes, thanks Thomas.

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

remember you CANNOT speak to your dog after signaling for the birds. Also do NOT send your dog until the judge calls either your number or dog. BREATHE............HAVE FUN YOUR DOG WILL...
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com