Fresh ideas on getting help?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh ideas on getting help?

Default Fresh ideas on getting help for events?

Not a new topic but are there any fresh ideas on getting help?

It is hard to get gunners that shoot well that understand the job of gunning for a trial.

Very difficult to get any help although bullying club members does seem to help. I just do not like the tactic.
    Last edited by gdgnyc; 06-19-2017 at 11:20 AM.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

A club in MI uses ROTC kids by the hour and have great workers. Scout groups to me seem a bit young to keep the test equal for all dogs.
    John Cottenham aka jacduck in many circles before the internet

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Many clubs have trouble getting workers. Even with paid bird boys, there is a need for marshals, shooters, lunch delivery ect. These jobs usually involve fielding lots of complaints, more work than anticipated and very little thanks. The retriever community does a good job at pointing out the flaws in the judging, marshaling, shooting but it is crickets when things go well. A simple "thank you" goes a long way.

Workers codes are an incentive that are always in demand. A rule change that increased the percentage of workers codes might alleviate the worker shortage for some clubs.
    Mark Land

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post

It is hard to get gunners that shoot well that understand the job of gunning for a trial. .
    Qualified gunners, secret is When you find them you go out of your way to keep them happy; so they come back, no clue on how you go about finding them though .
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Qualified gunners, secret is When you find them you go out of your way to keep them happy; so they come back, no clue on how you go about finding them though .
    The best shooters IMO are my trapshooting friends. However they are busy now traveling on the weekends and shooting on "the circuit".

Local DU club guys work well.
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    LAURELWOOD'S GOT GEESE ON THE RADAR BB
    CHESAGROVE'S RED SKY AT NIGHT
    CHEROKEE FOOTHILLS HRC
    FALL LINE RETRIEVER CLUB AKC

You talking flier guns or general help George? Pinelands flier guns are NOT club members, just guys who enjoy shooting. Saves on conflicts with members who would much rather shoot than sit alone slapping bugs while planting a blind. Hunting test and retires gunning for field trials sucks - no opportunity to watch the action. That said you have basically 12x the number of birds per participant. If everyone threw a dozen dogs - it'd be done. Participants should step up. It's not that hard. First idea, don't leave people in the field for hours on end. Get them in and get them out.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 06-24-2017 at 07:08 AM.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    You talking flier guns or general help George? Pinelands flier guns are NOT club members, just guys who enjoy shooting. Saves on conflicts with members who would much rather shoot than sit alone slapping bugs while planting a blind. Hunting test and retires gunning for field trials sucks - no opportunity to watch the action. That said you have basically 12x the number of birds per participant. If everyone threw a dozen dogs - it'd be done. Participants should step up. It's not that hard. First idea, don't leave people in the field for hours on end. Get them in and get them out.
    Hi Darrin. BTW, Pineland's RC is the exception, it has an excellent record for getting help. (Last year my friend and I traveled 125 miles just to gun for them.) Gunners who do not run dogs are definitely better help. We have maybe five quality gunners but three of them run dogs.

General help is very difficult to find for our club. And you have hit on something which I will label as "abuse of help"---hours in the sun, placing gun stations in stands of poison ivy, tiny lunch sandwiches suitable for five year olds, and the shout to gunners sitting in the sun "come on in and get some water". Had one gunner who never returned after that happened. Pineland's model really works and should be used by more clubs. Shout out to Joe Eschert.

Pinelands model is that the members are active and come out to work the test. I didn't get there this year but have worked without running a dog for several years in a row - and not gunning since I'm a club member. Pinelands works hard - they run 4 training days a year, have a picnic and a worker's training day, run a small gun dog style competition in the fall. It's a great group of folks who put in a lot of work and a larger group who put in less but are still dedicated to putting on a nice event once a year. I thin quality leadership has A LOT to do with it George.
    Darrin Greene

I can offer some perspective here. I am on the board of directors for a non profit called Missouri Disabled Sportsmen. We are an all volunteer organization catering to disabled men and women as well as young hunters. Our goal is to provide outdoor opportunities ranging from hunting deer/turkey/waterfowl to shooting clay pigeons, fishing and 3D archery. We've found that the type of people who are generally interested in giving their time are folks like myself...working men and women who also love the outdoors. It is very difficult to consistently find enough volunteers to organize an outing and to assist/mentor the hunters. We have a large core group that we can pretty much always count on (most of them are on the board of directors or have served in the past) and then we have a second group of sometimes volunteers who come and go depending on their work/family schedules and their own interests.

A person's time is his/her most valuable commodity. For someone to give up precious time as a volunteer they must first care about the event/organization or the activity, they must then have an enjoyable day and they must be shown how much they are appreciated. Things that work well for us.....and remember we sometimes struggle...in no particular order, include:

--make sure to pair volunteers with people they are compatible with....let them choose their partner or work group for the day if possible but also give everyone an opportunity to meet one another and make new friends.
    --make sure they are prepared for the job they'll be doing...dressed properly, physically and mentally able etc.
    --make sure they don't get overworked
    --make sure the event is well organized and safe
    --give them input on the job they are to do if they are qualified to do so. Experience matters.
    --take pictures and share them with the volunteers
    --thank the volunteers personally and be sure to compliment specifically what they did to help if they did a good job.
    --include them in all meals and refreshment breaks.
    --get contact information for future events....give them your contact information
    --after the event ask them how they think it went...give them a chance to give positive or negative feedback
    --when you call on them for future events do so in person if possible or over the phone and refer to your notes as to what they did the last time they volunteered so you can thank them again. Ask them if they would like to help in the same role or if they prefer a different role.

I could go on....I'm sure you've done a lot of this.....