The Junior Hunt Test - a description - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: The Junior Hunt Test - a description

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Western, KY
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bamajeff View Post
    At all the AKC tests in our area, there are flyers in all stakes including Junior.
    Hmm, perhaps I just wasn't observant enough or maybe am just misremembering. I've never ran an AKC event, only been as a spectator. Considering running my pup in one this fall, but may hold off to the spring to give us time to train above the difficulty of a junior stake.
    White Oak's Take A Chance 6/19/2015 - 8/29/2016

  2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #12
    Senior Member Hunt'EmUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog10 View Post
    Hmm, perhaps I just wasn't observant enough or maybe am just misremembering. I've never ran an AKC event, only been as a spectator. Considering running my pup in one this fall, but may hold off to the spring to give us time to train above the difficulty of a junior stake.
    Just went to an AKC judging seminar, Flyers are not a requirement in Juniors; something I didn't know, really quite surprising to me; as I've never seen a test without one. But as they aren't required must mean there are some places where they don't shoot them.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

    GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

  4. #13
    Senior Member Ron in Portland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog10 View Post
    ...Are flyers common in Junior stakes where you live?
    Yes. At the tests I've been to in Oregon/Washington, it's typical to get a live flyer in the first series. Saw one test where they shot a flyer in the first and second series.
    Ron Rhodes
    www.portlandlabrador.com
    A Lab has no appreciation for the artistic value of a bonsai tree, but does appreciate their potential as chew toys.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements
     

  6. #14

    Default

    Thanks a bunch for this

  7. #15
    Junior Member ScottDOmaha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Elkhorn, NE
    Posts
    12

    Default

    These are very helpful. Thank you for taking the time. I would vote "pin worthy"

  8. #16
    Senior Member Jennifer Henion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Far Northern California
    Posts
    1,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottDOmaha View Post
    These are very helpful. Thank you for taking the time. I would vote "pin worthy"
    I'm so glad you find it helpful! It's something I wish I had when I first started almost 8 years ago. And just FYI, I'm going to re-shoot the video with a much better camera and better plan next month. We have a four day hunt test on our home grounds, so it will be a good opportunity to get some good footage of both series and to use my husbands nice fancy camera. I'll do the same for the Senior and Master stakes.

    Thanks to everyone for the helpful feedback!

  9. #17
    Senior Member Gerry Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    SE Wiscsonsin
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Well, Kodi went 4 for 4 in the two double JRs we entered and earned his title yesterday. Thanks Jennifer for this post!! It certainly helped prepare us, but nothing like the actual experience to figure out where the holes are, and there are a few things we really need to work on to advance. Overall very happy. Thank you again for this post.

    20170806_163207.jpg

  10. #18
    Senior Member Gerry Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    SE Wiscsonsin
    Posts
    113

    Default

    One of those holes is OB at the line. We have really worked on OB, but from the last holding blind to the line was not fun. First holding blind was pretty good, to the second holding blind got a little worse and from the last holding blind to the line was awefull. OB work at home and in our training group is very good, but at the test it is like he was a different dog. Gonna have to figure out how to duplicate the distractions at tests. I also think he is collar smart and knows he doesnt have the collar on. One thought is to have our training club take it to the next level in introducing more distractions in our sessions. Anyone have any suggestions and how can I ramp up our OB training when at home, one on one? All of this will also transfer to manners in the boat/ duck blind.

  11. #19
    Senior Member 1tulip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    2,880

    Default

    When not working with your club, are you training alone?

    Do you have holding blinds you can set up? I know it's HT and not FT, but set up a holding blind and something very visually enticing "out there" that they immediately see. Enter, exit, go back... do all sort of obedience. Blow duck calls, shoot your starter pistol... every enticement you can think of.

    How is your routine around the house and at feeding time? Why not put the food on a white bucket and make him exit a holding blind in a mannerly, obedient fashion before he can eat? Can he heel all around his food and still focus on you?

    Have you looked into getting the Gunz-Up CD and playing it in the background when doing obedience?

    Whether you go full-Hillmann or not, the whole deal is that the dog can SIT when told when he's maximally excited, so that he learns to control his excitement when exposed to the excitement of a HT.

    I know this sort of thing is rinky-dinky... but if he can't do those things...
    Magister venator aliquando si deus vult

  12. #20
    Senior Member Gerry Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    SE Wiscsonsin
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    When not working with your club, are you training alone?

    Do you have holding blinds you can set up? I know it's HT and not FT, but set up a holding blind and something very visually enticing "out there" that they immediately see. Enter, exit, go back... do all sort of obedience. Blow duck calls, shoot your starter pistol... every enticement you can think of.

    How is your routine around the house and at feeding time? Why not put the food on a white bucket and make him exit a holding blind in a mannerly, obedient fashion before he can eat? Can he heel all around his food and still focus on you?

    Have you looked into getting the Gunz-Up CD and playing it in the background when doing obedience?

    Whether you go full-Hillmann or not, the whole deal is that the dog can SIT when told when he's maximally excited, so that he learns to control his excitement when exposed to the excitement of a HT.

    I know this sort of thing is rinky-dinky... but if he can't do those things...
    Those are all very good suggestion and many I have not thought of. He has been sitting before being fed since he was a pup so that would be a good transition. I dont have any holding blinds at home but should be able to make a couple pretty easily. Yes he will heal around food, although never tried it. The other day I threw out 10 bumpers scattered in the lawn and had him heal right over the top of them. Kinda of like a leave it drill, but never uttered the words "leave it", just healed. At the end I let him fetch one up.

    Thanks for the tips, yes looking to give him as many distractions as possible.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •