The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: U Wisc Laryngeal Paralysis Study

The irrigation canal formaly known as the Rio Grande

Quote Originally Posted by lennie View Post
    Has anyone heard of using Doxepin for LP? Someone I know has his dog on it and says it has worked wonders. I understand it is a human anti-depressant? Perhaps it keeps them relaxed enough to not go into the "panic" when things go bad?
    Can you cite your sources? Any studies or is it all anecdotal? JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lennie View Post
    Has anyone heard of using Doxepin for LP? Someone I know has his dog on it and says it has worked wonders. I understand it is a human anti-depressant? Perhaps it keeps them relaxed enough to not go into the "panic" when things go bad?
    Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Can you cite your sources? Any studies or is it all anecdotal? JD
    My Raven was on Doxepin 50 mg twice per day. My Vet said that the medication is a sedative and that it also has very powerful antihistamine effects. Dogs with LP often cough and hack. The Doxepin seemed to be very helpful, especially at first. But over the last year, her symptoms continued to progress until Doxepin was not enough. It certainly didn't prevent or help with the panic during her last and worst episode. After witnessing that, I made the decision that I could not allow her to go that way, it would have weighed on my conscience too heavily.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

I wanted everyone to know that after starting the Organic protein there was a remarkable difference after 2 months. My girls hind leg muscles seem to be much stronger. Before starting this I her hind tail bone/hip area were very noticeable. Now not so much. I also started using Nutra Thrive Canine supplement. It is a holistic supplement put out by a vet after studying Asian herbs. I have been using that for about 1 month and between the 2 , she is lot more active. Still slow to get up but once up, walks better, hind legs are not shaking when she is standing up. Her breathing has never been a big problem as long as she does not get too much exercise. I will let you know if she improves more by using these products. You can get the organic protein at Wal-Mart or Sams. Not expensive at all. The Nutra Thrive is from Ultimate Pet Nutrition. That is around 60.00 a month, but I don't care if it helps.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Default vestibular syndrome

Interesting. We lost a faithful lab to vestibular syndrome who also had LP. He actually had paralysis twice and we put him to rest with the second episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkuhn63 View Post
    Thanks for sharing Keith,

My beloved dog HRCH Luke L., RIP, was affected by this. I thought he was in heart failure at first, but was diagnosed with LP. By the time he was having symptoms, he was 13 and losing coordination (walking funny). It was soon obvious that he had some type of neurologic disease going on. He also had a temporary episode of vestibular syndrome (not sure if this was related to the laryngeal paralysis). I chose not to treat the laryngeal paralysis. He always loved riding in the back seat of my truck. Took him to McD's for his favorite bite of cheeseburger at 13.5 years of age before going to vet and putting him to rest..Vet was nice enough to come to my truck so he wouldn't have to leave he backseat.