What would you do in training on this blind
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: What would you do in training on this blind

Default What would you do in training on this blind

Blind is run from the green to the red. A right to left cross wind. A flyer was shot down the shore just to the right of the line short of the red pin. Finished/QAA dog. Initial line was very good to the point. Let him carry over the point (may have played it safer in a trial) and did not stop him on the point (I like for them to feel confident to carry a line over a point). After reentry off of the point the dog pushed right. (You loose sight for about 5 seconds) I feel like he was either trying to be good and take on more water or pushing off of the flyer. I recalled to the point with no collar pressure and casted him back left. Same thing two more times. The third try, there was a collar correction. Recalled to point and casted again. He entered and hugged the point going left. Recalled to point and gave same cast with no pressure. Took cast on a good line and finished the blind.

How would you have handled it?

InkedWater Blind_LI.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This QA2
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg NDL, QA2
    This Beer Is Making Me Awesome

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

This would depend on the dogs skill level? The first entry I would keep the dog tight left, thinking he would square the 1st. Entry keeping him on line, in the second entry I would plan on stopping the dog depending on where he exited.inside the line right hand cast outside the line left hand cast. The shape of the land on the last exit what if any cast would be given.

I would not have recalled, just handled to the blind. I don't think the dog dos anything wrong at all

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I would have just handled also and dealt with the cast refusals (if any) from there. The dog got off the point into big water and into the wind. It seems like good effort.
    Last edited by Sabireley; 07-13-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabireley View Post
    I would have just handled also and dealt with the cast refusals (if any) from there. The dog got off the point into big water and into the wind. It seems like good effort.
    I agree. The only reason I did is because this dog is prone to change direction on reentry after he hits the water. Usually he parallels the shore instead of holding a line.
    Bubba Joiner

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    This would depend on the dogs skill level? The first entry I would keep the dog tight left, thinking he would square the 1st. Entry keeping him on line, in the second entry I would plan on stopping the dog depending on where he exited.inside the line right hand cast outside the line left hand cast. The shape of the land on the last exit what if any cast would be given.
    Skill level is finished QAA running some all-age. I try not to handle if he is on a good line. Want him to have confidence to go forever if I don't say otherwise. He was dead on line to over the first point.

Why would you have him tight left in training anticipating squaring in training? I would rather work on angles in training than letting a square exit pull him on line.
    Bubba Joiner

I'm describing the impact points of the blind, and how I would handle them. If my dog isn't affected by the described factors he would probably line the blind. A qual dog in my opinion would be affected by what I described. If I were teaching angled entries I would do it in a tune drill setting at multiple locations. If I ran a dog who had this skill in his tool box the blind would be to easy. I would increase the angle and challenge the shoreline. The toughest cast is one that points the dog towards land but isn't asking him to get out!
    This is all hypothetical. How I would run the blind would depend on the skill set of the dog. You can get the same results, but you must know how to set up your next cast based on the skills of the individual dog and his reactions to blind factors. This is if I was running it in FT. In training, I'm not sure your teaching anything but a re-entry blind. I would challenge the dogs decisions at the beginning, middle, and end.
    If working on long entries let that be the lesson. I wouldn't compile factors until the dog was solid at them individually.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    I'm describing the impact points of the blind, and how I would handle them. If my dog isn't affected by the described factors he would probably line the blind. A qual dog in my opinion would be affected by what I described. If I were teaching angled entries I would do it in a tune drill setting at multiple locations. If I ran a dog who had this skill in his tool box the blind would be to easy. I would increase the angle and challenge the shoreline. The toughest cast is one that points the dog towards land but isn't asking him to get out!
    This is all hypothetical. How I would run the blind would depend on the skill set of the dog. You can get the same results, but you must know how to set up your next cast based on the skills of the individual dog and his reactions to blind factors. This is if I was running it in FT. In training, I'm not sure your teaching anything but a re-entry blind. I would challenge the dogs decisions at the beginning, middle, and end.
    If working on long entries let that be the lesson. I wouldn't compile factors until the dog was solid at them individually.
    Gotcha. Thanks.
    Bubba Joiner

I would not want to discourage a dog from heading to big water if I could help it. Just handle and tighten the line back up, he did nothing worthy of a correction that I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by bjoiner View Post
    I agree. The only reason I did is because this dog is prone to change direction on reentry after he hits the water. Usually he parallels the shore instead of holding a line.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Allen View Post
    I would not want to discourage a dog from heading to big water if I could help it. Just handle and tighten the line back up, he did nothing worthy of a correction that I can tell.
    I normally don't disagree. With this particular dog, taking water on blinds ain't the issue (actually the opposite due to my poor training somewhere). The deviation from the line was not as slight as the picture looks. It was probably 15-20 yards due to him hugging tight to the point for so long. He was way right when we could finally see him. I just didn't feel handling from that far offline would accomplish anything, but then again, I don't necessarily think what I did accomplished anything either.
    Bubba Joiner