Casting/Handling Drills
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting/Handling Drills

Default Casting/Handling Drills

First time self trainer. Watch a lot of videos on youtube mainly hillman and graham. Haven't seen too much on Lardy... Question is... what are some good drills to run or good ways to teach casting/handling to a dog thats about halfway done with TT and wanting to prepare to start running pattern blinds? I'm sure there is a thread on this forum about this somewhere but I'm not too familiar with the website plus I wanted to post to introduce myself. Good to meet yall.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Do a search with the search function of this forum. There have been a lot of threads on this topic. Good luck!

TT - is a drill to " start" to prepare your dog to handle in a drill. Follow a program until it's complete and you and your dog will benefit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Carol Cassity's book: Building a Retriever Drills & More.

Biased because I'm fortunate enough to train with him...Jack Gwaltney's "3 -Pile Drill" is a great tool. Very simple. 3 piles of bumpers 14 steps apart.

It's part of how he teaches casting to dogs but it remains valuable as the dog progresses.

Cast angle back right to the right pile. Straight back right to the center pile. Straight back left to the center pile. Angle back left to the left pile.

Leave the piles in the same spot and move back as a lining drill. The farther you go, the tighter the lines become. But, the dogs have a lot of confidence because they've gone to the piles many times.

Certainly not the only drill, but a good one.

I've become fond of the "Howard drill"... A search on here should result in a more in depth explanation.
    Brett Shaffer

I'm not sure I would be doing any other yard work while running 2T. I would just give some easy field marks to keep his attitude up. I agree with Malcolm's comment above. Get a good program with a flow chart and follow it. Don't skip around. Each step builds on the last one. Large goes 2T ---> Swim By ---> Pattern Blinds ---> Blind Drills. Assuming you've done the other appropriate pile work leading up to 2T then there should be no need for other drills to prepare for pattern blinds. The dog I'm currently training is probably a little more than half way through Swim By so we're in nearly the same place at this time. Good luck to you and your dog.

I see you are in Georgia, but I don't know where. I won't be there, but Old South Hunting Retriever Club is having a club training day tomorrow. You can probably get more details on their Facebook page. I THINK it is at Scott Baldwin's place.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH UH "Boomer" MH (RIP)
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

*Lardy goes....
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack" RIP
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson" RIP (5/26/01-6/18/15)
    Castile Creeks Rawhide, MH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinDawg View Post
    I'm not sure I would be doing any other yard work while running 2T. I would just give some easy field marks to keep his attitude up. I agree with Malcolm's comment above. Get a good program with a flow chart and follow it. Don't skip around. Each step builds on the last one. Large goes 2T ---> Swim By ---> Pattern Blinds ---> Blind Drills. Assuming you've done the other appropriate pile work leading up to 2T then there should be no need for other drills to prepare for pattern blinds. The dog I'm currently training is probably a little more than half way through Swim By so we're in nearly the same place at this time. Good luck to you and your dog.

I see you are in Georgia, but I don't know where. I won't be there, but Old South Hunting Retriever Club is having a club training day tomorrow. You can probably get more details on their Facebook page. I THINK it is at Scott Baldwin's place.
    I believe I am done with TT pretty much at this point and I'm pretty sure the answer I am going to get but when do you move from TT to swim by? My TT has progressed to about 90 yards to back pile with first leg being about 50 yards, overs about 20 yards and the 2nd legs being about 75 yards overs about 15-20 yards. I am a member of Old south but not really active at all.

Quote Originally Posted by themaninblack3 View Post
    I believe I am done with TT pretty much at this point and I'm pretty sure the answer I am going to get but when do you move from TT to swim by? My TT has progressed to about 90 yards to back pile with first leg being about 50 yards, overs about 20 yards and the 2nd legs being about 75 yards overs about 15-20 yards. I am a member of Old south but not really active at all.
    Do disciplined casting (run-by) on TT field. Exactly same idea as swim-by, but on land. When it is good, move to swim-by. If you have your swim-by pond near your TT field, start teaching the swim-by back pile by running it after your TT session.

Are you near Newnan, GA?
    Glen Guider, GA
    HRCH UH Candlewoods Captain Jack Sparrow MH QA2
    HR UH Candlewoods Small Town Southern Man "AJ" MH QA2
    GRHRCH UH Gandy's Ready for a Hurricane "Maggie" MH QA2
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QA2
    SML's Burn Notice "Fiona" QA2
    Red Squad's Randall Raines "Memphis"