Gun shy? - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun shy?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Fisher View Post
    Something that has worked extremely well for us for gun training in bird dogs, beagles and retrievers is to introduce gunfire with birds or rabbits. The thing that gets dogs fired up. At a distance with .22 crimp at first. Lots of excitement. pop. bird.
    From the first time, the dog associates gunfire with birds. In a positive way.

Pretty soon, gunfire means birds. Closer with the .22 crimp. Then a 209 at distance. Then a popper gun at a distance and then closer. But always with a bird and lots of excitement.

Same thing here. Not sure I could have said it better.
    -Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Windjammer View Post
    Same thing here. Not sure I could have said it better.
    "As the first couple of dove came overhead my boyfriend fired. Our pup flinched and cowered down, I immediately told him good boy to hopefully give him some sort of reinforcement that it was okay. As our dog ran up to the dove he pawed at it at first like it might attack him"
    Not for this poster ! ? ...
    So while it may be said better for you m it's not what is better for them .
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

I have never introduced a shot to a puppy. It just happens over time and while training. Start by having a someone shoot a training pistol and throw bird or bumper from the field. Never ever, shoot next to a puppy. And I agree, a dove is not a good bird to start with.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I wish people would come ask for advice before they do something like this. Difference between a .22 and a 12 or 20 ga is night and day. You are lucky he seemed to work thru it. Now stop hunting him before he develops any bad habits, get him trained, introduce gunfire more gradually as describes above in some very good posts. My dogs have always had a big desire to retrieve, so I have used bumpers when introducing gunfire, it will depend on how your non-force fetched dog handles birds. If he likes to chomp and chew them, you might want to wait till he has better mouth manners. In my situation, helps many of my neighbors shoot guns, and it has helped my pup adapt. Not sure why as we have not done many gunner marks yet, but when he hears a shot his ears go up and he is looking.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH