Any Advice on a new Benelli Super Eagle II 12 Ga.? - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Advice on a new Benelli Super Eagle II 12 Ga.?

If you're looking for a 3 1/2" gun, I'd be leery of the Gold, as an awful lot of them have gone back to the factory - and still been hinky. Whatever the problem is (I've seen some with a chunk of the receiver milled out by the factory) doesn't seem an issue with the 3" version - though that may just be because so few 3"ers have passed through my commercial blinds.

If you go with the SBE, be advised that far and away the greatest cause of their malfunctioning has been operator error. The Benelli's inertia operated bolt must close with enough force to twist it's face into the "locked" position in order for it to fire. Folks who ease the bolt shut, instead of just releasing it, after loading or ease it back for a peek to see if it's loaded or can't resist fidgeting with the operating handle are begging for malfunction unless they also insure that the bolt face is locked. (The extractor claw will be above an extended mid line of the barrel if the bolt's locked and below it if not.)

The only other "malfunction" one might expect from a Benelli with even minimum maintenance (or a Beretta) may result from the Italians cutting tighter chambers than most others, because some types of ammunition may be too wide to feed well into them. Remington 3 1/2" steel Nito Magnums, for instance, have proven a bad match with the SBE, with some shells out of a box not wanting to feed.

Other than that, Benellis like oil and a shot of Rem Oil on each bolt race will keep them rolling long, long past mandatory cleaning time for most semi-autos.

As for barrel length, I'd go with whatever feels the most alive (not lightest) in your hands - but avoid the 24" on the grounds that it would be hard on your blind mates' ears.
    Last edited by Rick Hall; 10-02-2007 at 06:58 AM.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: 2017-2018 Season Log

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

PD, I use a 26" barrel just because it feels like it swings a little faster for me. I use a briley extended modified choke for everything to pass shots to decoying birds. I have been shooting winchester supreme in #2 for ducks and BB for geese. I have shot some heavy shot 4 and B with excellent results but it got way too expensive for me. Im going to give the black cloud #2 a try this season because I got a very good pattern with that load out of my gun. I have yet to have a malfunction from the lightest 2 3/4 to the heavy 3 1/2 loads. Cant go wrong with the gun.
    Duck Dawgs do it in the water!

Southern Firefighters Flame JH 11/6/02 - 11/25/13 "I carry your heart. I carry it in my heart."
    Meherrin River's Bored Out Diesel

FDNY 343 "We will never forget"

Quote Originally Posted by Cut em_Jack View Post
    Best gun out there for waterfowl hunting. I have a Browning Gold that I used to use but now its only a deer gun. Reason being is the browning just couldnt handle the conditions waterfowling dishes out. I hunt over 60 days a year and the SBE II never misses a beat. My browning would malfunction when it was too cold and would rust in a heart beat around salt water. My SBE II has not malfunctioned in 2 seasons and has not shown any rust even after being coated with sea spray. You can go wrong with the SBE II!
    Does the SBE have the same salt spray resistance that the SBE II has? I'm planning several hunts in brackish to salt water this year and was bemoaning the fact that I'd have to take my ol' 870 instead of my SBE because I didn't want to get the SBE rusty. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

If you are on a tight budget, don't hesitate to find a good used SBE. It'll save you about $500. I have three (two teenage sons) and picked all three up used for under $800. One has a 24" barrell, one a 26" barrell, and the last one a 28" barrell. I shoot the 1550 fps Kent Fast Steel in 3 1/2" #1 shot, with an IC choke, and kill ducks and geese without any trouble out to 50 yards, and the barrell length doesn't seem to make a difference. I hunt everything with mine, waterfowl, turkey, pheasant, dove, rabbit, you name it. It's light, and the recoil is very, very forgiving. They take tons of abuse in all kinds of conditions and keep going. And once you have done it a time or two, you can tear them down to the bare essentials, clean them, and put them back together in no time. They are stupid simple. You can't beat them. And there is no stamped sheet metal on them. And if you don't like it, you won't have any trouble getting your money back. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, used or new, you can't go wrong. Ask any body who owns one.

Tim
    The more I am around people, the more I cherish the company of dogs and cattle.

I'll be taking the Gold out almost everyday during duck season and will keep you posted on how it does. I've been shooting my 500G for twenty years it has never malfunctioned, its the best gun I've ever owned, I'm hoping the gold is as good. A Buddy owns a SBE and Loves it.

Talking

Buy a Beretta

I have the Benelli M2 3" and just love it. 26" barrel and use the factory IM choke. Shoot Kent Faststeel #2's at ducks and geese with it.

I had a Winchester Super X2 3 1/2" and when it got cold would not eject the shell (gas). Sold to someone as a turkey guy, I was getting ready to use it as a boat oar. Like the mechanical semi's better.
    "Perfection is the enemy of good enough" Vince Stone
    GRHRCH UH Slammers Bullet From Nowhere MH**

I have had buddies hunting the same salt water hunts that own a SBE and yes they do take the punishment that the SBE II does. Go ahead and take your SBE but take the 870 for back up. I always take a back up gun just incase. I have seen berettas malfunction before when the temps get too cold. They are gas operated just like the Browning and Ive seen em have the same issues. Ive even seen the extremas have problems. Dont get me wrong the beretta and the browning are great guns. They just seem to need to be babied more than the SBE II. If you are gonna hunt cold salt water with either you better clean the heck out of it every night and keep a small cleaning kit with you while hunting.
    Duck Dawgs do it in the water!

Southern Firefighters Flame JH 11/6/02 - 11/25/13 "I carry your heart. I carry it in my heart."
    Meherrin River's Bored Out Diesel

FDNY 343 "We will never forget"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hall View Post
    If you're looking for a 3 1/2" gun, I'd be leery of the Gold, as an awful lot of them have gone back to the factory - and still been hinky. Whatever the problem is (I've seen some with a chunk of the receiver milled out by the factory) doesn't seem an issue with the 3" version - though that may just be because so few 3"ers have passed through my commercial blinds.

If you go with the SBE, be advised that far and away the greatest cause of their malfunctioning has been operator error. The Benelli's inertia operated bolt must close with enough force to twist it's face into the "locked" position in order for it to fire. Folks who ease the bolt shut, instead of just releasing it, after loading or ease it back for a peek to see if it's loaded or can't resist fidgeting with the operating handle are begging for malfunction unless they also insure that the bolt face is locked. (The extractor claw will be above an extended mid line of the barrel if the bolt's locked and below it if not.)

The only other "malfunction" one might expect from a Benelli with even minimum maintenance (or a Beretta) may result from the Italians cutting tighter chambers than most others, because some types of ammunition may be too wide to feed well into them. Remington 3 1/2" steel Nito Magnums, for instance, have proven a bad match with the SBE, with some shells out of a box not wanting to feed.

Other than that, Benellis like oil and a shot of Rem Oil on each bolt race will keep them rolling long, long past mandatory cleaning time for most semi-autos.

As for barrel length, I'd go with whatever feels the most alive (not lightest) in your hands - but avoid the 24" on the grounds that it would be hard on your blind mates' ears.
    I have found that Federal ammo works best in Benelli products. I have two and couldn't be happier!!!

I had a Browning and it wouldn' t cycle in very cold weather. Sold it!

MB

Good Luck
    "You can have any color you want, so long as its black". Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Cut em_Jack View Post
    I have had buddies hunting the same salt water hunts that own a SBE and yes they do take the punishment that the SBE II does. Go ahead and take your SBE but take the 870 for back up. I always take a back up gun just incase. I have seen berettas malfunction before when the temps get too cold. They are gas operated just like the Browning and Ive seen em have the same issues. Ive even seen the extremas have problems. Dont get me wrong the beretta and the browning are great guns. They just seem to need to be babied more than the SBE II. If you are gonna hunt cold salt water with either you better clean the heck out of it every night and keep a small cleaning kit with you while hunting.
    I will be hunting in cold saltwater marshes. Sounds to me like I'm considering the right gun...SBE II.
    Les