26 Days & Counting - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 26 Days & Counting

Hi Dana, Welcome to the RTF!

One of the RTF sponsors is Dr Tim's dog food---it is very good. There is a link to his website in the Dr Tims ad, top righthand side of the RTF pages. I think it rotates with ads from another sponsor, so if you don't see it try refreshing the page.

A lot of people like Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20.

I am currently feeding my dogs SportDog Elite grain free beef 30/18.

If I were feeding a baby puppy I would feed one of the tried and true feeds, such as Dr. Tims or the Purina 30/20. Proper nutrition when they are so little and growing rapidly is critical.

It looks as if you are in Utah. I hope we will see you at some of our club events. The calendar isn't set yet but things will likely get going in February.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

From the sounds of it, the pup will be better off with you at six weeks anyway. Get the pup. She will be safer, less likely to get some weird injury and you can get her on a quality feed. Another week or two in the current environment isn’t going to be productive anyway.

Besides, she’s already weaned off the mom and many folks won’t even have the mom around the pups at that age...

Good luck with your pup...
    Bill Davis

7-8 weeks is preferable but probably the best dog temperament wise I've ever had I brought Home at 6 weeks.

Dr. Tim's Kinesis

Why?

From the web site

Needed
    As a veterinarian and accomplished musher, Dr. Tim Hunt understood his dogs’ need for a food that promoted stamina, endurance and performance through proper digestion; a food that just made them feel good.

Created
    Armed with a cement mixer, a cache of ideas, and an aversion for other kibbled diets on the market, Tim took to his garage in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. It was there that he set out to formulate a food that replicated a natural, wild diet for his Alaskan Huskies.

Shared
    Dr. Tim’s focus has since expanded from his original backyard setup to bring an honest, nutritionally sound food – sourced only from North America’s highest quality ingredients – to every dog.

Why Dr. Tim’s?
    Our chicken meal is antibiotic free with no added hormones.
    Dogs and cats flourish on meat based proteins; our proteins are 87% animal derived.
    Our Omega 3 fatty acids are mainly of ocean fish origin; ocean-derived Omega 3 fatty acids are more effective with dogs and cats than plant-derived Omega 3 fatty acids.
    Dr. Tim’s protein, fat and carbohydrate ingredients are of North American origin – always.
    Our starch digestibility is 95%.
    Low ash proteins assure the highest grade of protein is used to benefit your pet.
    Externally applied probiotics and prebiotics in the diet help your pet’s gastro-intestinal tract healthy – the start of your pet’s immune system.
    Kinesis All Life Stages Dog Formula is appropriate for large breed puppies.
    To ensure safety, each batch is tested for salmonella and not released until a confirmed, negative result.

Buy Both of Bill Hillmann's puppy DVDs you will not regret it I promise!!
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I would not let my puppies go until they are 8 weeks old.

Quote Originally Posted by Renee P. View Post
    Hi Dana, Welcome to the RTF!

One of the RTF sponsors is Dr Tim's dog food---it is very good. There is a link to his website in the Dr Tims ad, top righthand side of the RTF pages. I think it rotates with ads from another sponsor, so if you don't see it try refreshing the page.

A lot of people like Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20.

I am currently feeding my dogs SportDog Elite grain free beef 30/18.

If I were feeding a baby puppy I would feed one of the tried and true feeds, such as Dr. Tims or the Purina 30/20. Proper nutrition when they are so little and growing rapidly is critical.

It looks as if you are in Utah. I hope we will see you at some of our club events. The calendar isn't set yet but things will likely get going in February.

Hello Renee!

First, thank you for the tips on the dog food. I will look into it. I have also been looking into Propac. Any thoughts on it? I have heard that Propac and Sportdog are made my the same company.

I am in SLC and would really like to find out more about the club events. If possible, can you maybe pass me some info?

To everyone else. I know that everyone thinks that 6 weeks is too young. I normally would like to take a dog closer to 8 weeks, but under the circumstances and as I monitor the health of the puppy, 6 weeks is where we are at right now. I have family that have been long time breeders for other breeds and they have even said as long as we monitor the puppy that she will be fine. She is going to have a very cozy place and will be well taken care of.

Again, thank you Renee for answering my questions. I really appreciate your time.

Thanks Bryan. I will look into the DVD's.

All puppies are being weaned off the mom this week. She is already starting to spend some time outside with her partner.

3 weeks old now?

Something is not right you work with a vet so you know better about the 7 weeks ?
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH, QAA2 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH, QAA2 8/5/05-3/20/18
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE, WDQ, QAA2, MH (SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY QAA, MH (Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Welcome Dana! Congratulations on the new addition! Don't worry about these guys and the 7 week thing. They're right but you have whatever circumstance you have to work with and it's not the end of the world.

dogfoodadvisor.com has ratings on literally every brand of food on the market. Dr. Tims normal and grain free both get a 5 star rating but if cost or availability is an issue, there are many comparable brands out there to check out. You may find pup does best on one thing or the other at random.

I might buy 5 lb and transition slowly over a week or so then see how pup was doing before committing to a large quantity of any one brand.

Also - all of my veterinary contacts (there are several) tell me that quality, adult kibble is fine for puppies. No need for "puppy food".

Oh and don't believe the amount on the bag - the people who wrote it are selling dog food after all. Start with 1 cup/day/20lb body weight and see how things go. Some dogs need more some less.
    Darrin Greene