Retriever Training Program
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Retriever Training Program

Default Retriever Training Program

I have a 13 year old Lab that I was able to get a Junior Hunter title on prior to turning two and not passing her hip test. She was a family pet, so I spayed her, got my money back and she served us wonderfully both hunting and as a member of our family. Now I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of our new puppy. I believe this one has the ability and I want to take her to the master level. What Training Program would you recommend and why? I often see respondents ask what system you are following to aid in correcting faults, so I would like to follow one. I feel I have above average knowledge and skills of training. Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

See link above to Mike Lardy, Total Retriever Training. A search will yield many comments on the different training programs.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack" RIP
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson" RIP (5/26/01-6/18/15)
    Castile Creeks Rawhide, MH "Rowdy"

I embarked on my first experience last year trying to train a dog to a finished/master level.

My pup just turned 2 years old. I used "Training a Retriever Puppy" by Bill Hillmann and TRT2 by Mike Lardy.

We earned her HR in straight passes at around 16 months old.

She is training at a finished level and will hopefully get her HRCH this spring.

100% trained by myself

I think the majority of your responses will be to take this same approach.
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Parks View Post
    I embarked on my first experience last year trying to train a dog to a finished/master level.

My pup just turned 2 years old. I used "Training a Retriever Puppy" by Bill Hillmann and TRT2 by Mike Lardy.

We earned her HR in straight passes at around 16 months old.

She is training at a finished level and will hopefully get her HRCH this spring.

100% trained by myself

I think the majority of your responses will be to take this same approach.
    This is the path I am following. My pup is 19 months old, has 2 finished passes and 2 senior passes. He's doing master and Q level work in training. I do have a group to train with on most weekends from Feb-Oct. If you can get in a good training group, that can be very helpful also. If you are going to use Lardy's program, I would highly recommend getting his Total Retriever Marking series as well. Very little information on marking in TRT videos. If your goal is to train to master hunter level, you will definitely need to learn how to setup/train technical marking concepts to your dog.
    HRCH Laney's Chocolate Roux MH QAA
    HRCH Full Steam Coaltrain RIP