Seasoned/Senior Hunt Test? - Page 3
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seasoned/Senior Hunt Test?

Quote Originally Posted by pat addis View Post
    senior tests are much harder I have ran blinds where the line to the blind was 20 feet to a flyer station that sucked the dog that way and made it hard to get them off to continue to pick it up . also don't forget don't talk to your dog after calling for the bird. also I wouldn't advise running 2 tests the same week end I did it wit my young dog and he was so amped up the 2nd day when I got him out of the kennel the 2nd day his eyes told me we were toast and we were he was nuts and went out on the 1st series. it took a long time to finish his title. that was after going 4 x4 in junior . my point is don't get too greedy and take your time
    After the bird is called for are you allowed to snap your fingers or make any kind of non intimidating gestures as to keep the dog from breaking? Obviously intimidating gestures are automatic failure. In many judge's opinions is snapping your fingers considered an intimidating gesture...?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Snapping your fingers as the marks go down will be noticed and noted. Personally, I wouldn't call it a controlled break but the scores would reflect poor trainability. Would warn the handler and expect better in the second series.
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    Snapping your fingers as the marks go down will be noticed and noted. Personally, I wouldn't call it a controlled break but the scores would reflect poor trainability. Would warn the handler and expect better in the second series.
    Hes pretty solid on the line but you know how some dogs will do when they dont have their collar on and are in an environment like that. Good to know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

It would be wise of you to have your dog be doing Finished/Master work in training before entering a Seasoned/Senior test. Just saying of course.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Joe Schimpf

HRCH UH River Joes Lil Supa Dupa-Dee.......500pt. club
    River Joes Lil Homeboy
    River Joes On Dee Tiger's Tail

IN Senior most judges will not allow you to snap your fingers when birds are flying. You are not to talk to the dog or make any noise while birds are in the air, why would you be allowed to snap your fingers. Season is a different thing. You can talk to your dog the entire time.

Didn't see this mention, sorry if I missed it....

I think it would be a good idea to attend a couple of tests both AKC & UKC as an observer, reading the rules is good but see them performed might be helpful too.

Alan
    Tarnation of Apache
    Tumblin TurboJet

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Klotthor View Post
    IN Senior most judges will not allow you to snap your fingers when birds are flying. You are not to talk to the dog or make any noise while birds are in the air, why would you be allowed to snap your fingers. Season is a different thing. You can talk to your dog the entire time.
    I didnt know the ends and outs of senior tests thats why i was asking. Good to know. Ill just train as best i can to keep him rock solid on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Repaupo View Post
    Didn't see this mention, sorry if I missed it....

I think it would be a good idea to attend a couple of tests both AKC & UKC as an observer, reading the rules is good but see them performed might be helpful too.

Alan
    Thats a great idea. Ive been to seasoned but never senior. I havent been able to stay long enough either to get a good knowledge on seasoned for that matter. I will attend a few before running for sure

That is the best you can do. BUT remember they are dogs, so the rock solid dog in training can turn into a nut case at a hunt test. The smells, sounds and environment will amp them up. If you can train in a group would be the best at least several times prior to entering a test.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Klotthor View Post
    That is the best you can do. BUT remember they are dogs, so the rock solid dog in training can turn into a nut case at a hunt test. The smells, sounds and environment will amp them up. If you can train in a group would be the best at least several times prior to entering a test.
    I wish i had a group to train with but unfortunately i work out of town a lot. So training alone it normally is for me.