What type of hunting for a pup who will only be 7 months at start of season?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of hunting for a pup who will only be 7 months at start of season?

Default What type of hunting for a pup who will only be 7 months at start of season?

Hey fellas. I'm a newbie to retrievers. Will have a pup that will be 7 months old at start of hunting season. I am in Alberta, Canada, so the hunting options for me are pheasant and waterfowl. I have had pointing dogs my whole life, and the first season with a pup was a free for all to just have fun, create excitement, no expectations, and generally bond with the dog. I can see it is much different. I am eager to hunt obviously, but do not want to create problems for myself that are going to be difficult to overcome later, as I hope to give doggie games a whirl also.

So, my question is under what scenarios that I have available to me would you take a pup this age hunting?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I personally would be very hesitant to hunt a 7 month old retriever. It really depends a lot on the nature of the dog and Your willingness to possibly just work with the dog and not shoot.

I have had dogs that were fine to take at 7 months and others that could not handle the excitement.

If you feel you can control your dog at 7 months and he won't break or be noisy you are probably fine. If at anytime you start to see creeping, breaking or noise it's time to head back to the truck.

What I like to do is take my young pups and have them out while we are setting up decoys and blinds but put them up while hunting. Then get them out when we are picking up. They get exposed to new people, places and dogs. They get to run around, explore and check out everything and sniff the birds we shot

I have a pup that will be 1 in September and I doubt she'll hunt this year. Maybe late season or into January of 2019.
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

One question: Does the potential gain from this hunting experience outweigh the potential detriment?

This is the only question needing answered.
    4xGMPR HRCH UH Blackjack's Gen. Stonewall Jackson MH - at stud

https://www.retrievertraining.net/for...MH-Yellow-Male

Originally Posted by FOM "you're welcome....unicorns, skittles and rainbow farts...."

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

if you plan on teaching the dogs to run blinds I would not pheasant hunt the dog until it is proficient at blinds.
    Daren Galloway

FTCH AFTCH HRCH Hank's Settin' The Marsh On Fire

Make a list of the "valuable" conditioned responses your pup will acquire as a seven month old in the field.

Then make a list of the possible "you don't want to go there" conditioned responses most likely to happen.

Then "balance" your analysis.

Jim Boyer KwickLabsii.com

To me, it's not about the age of the dog...but what skills does the dog have? I personally don't hunt my dogs until they will go, stop and come back. They also need to deliver to hand. My current young dog had a couple mock hunts her first year. Her birthday was in October, so she was just under a year when we went out. However, I bought 6 rooster pheasants, and controlled the environment. I knew where the birds were planted, she did not. I worked the dog while I had two helpers shoot the birds. She was able to retrieve 6 birds and couldn't tell the difference between a training day and a live hunt.

You need to find what your standard is and stick to it. We teach dogs by shaping behavior (both good and bad). If your dog is not good at recall, then you will shape a bad behavior which will take more time and practice to fix. To me, it's not worth the risk. I have a friend who has a 10 month old male. He hunted A LOT last fall. Sent me videos of how proud he was of the pup. The video showed the dog running out to the duck, playing with it, picking it up and running away. Now he's very sloppy on recall (won't listen because he is untrained) and if he has a bird, he is very possessive and good luck getting him to come back. Not. Worth. It. If you take your time, you can enjoy hunting with a well trained retriever for the rest of his life. Good luck!
    ~Willie Alderson

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi MH QA2

"Molly" Alder Creeks Molybdenum QAA

Seen it. Not good.
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    LAURELWOOD'S GOT GEESE ON THE RADAR BB
    CHESAGROVE'S RED SKY AT NIGHT
    CHEROKEE FOOTHILLS HRC
    FALL LINE RETRIEVER CLUB AKC

What part of Alberta are you in?

There are a couple retriever clubs you might want to check out:
    Wild Rose Hunting Retriever Club in Calgary.
    Alberta Clipper Hunting Retriever Association in Edmonton.
    Last edited by Newf; 03-02-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Hunting for sticks...balls...food bowl...etc...Randy
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohn View Post
    Hunting for sticks...balls...food bowl...etc...Randy
    This^^^^^^^^^
    David Cuthbertson

G-Man's Spy Keeper "Rahab"
    HR G-Man's Texas Trick Shot QA2 "Annie"
    HRCH Trumarc's Super Splash SH "Splash" (1994-2009)

"Brother, a trial is not to see what your dog would do in a day's hunt, but what he will do under extraordinary conditions, judged by unusual people, and watched by an unusual gallery." (Charles Morgan on Retrievers)