Best Compact car? Must have room for dog crate and car seat.
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Compact car? Must have room for dog crate and car seat.

Default Best Compact car? Must have room for dog crate and car seat.

I have a 2500 diesel that is my daily driver but I am about to buy a compact car or something that gets 40-50mpg and has a hatchback to put a dog kennel in. I drive an hour to work and drive a good bit around the country with a dog crate in the back and dont need a truck at all times for this. Also needs room for a carseat as well for a 2yr old. I hate to drive around in a prius but it might make the most sense. I am sure people on here have looked into this. Last thread i found was from 2012.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I have experience with a Mazda3 hatchback and a Subaru Forester. I can't see you getting a kennel AND a car seat(in the rear) into a compact car unless you have a small dog. With the Forester I could fit a large Ruff Tough side entry placed sideways in the rear hatch area without folding the seats down. It is a tight fit and the Subaru has much more space than a compact car. If you plan to fold the seats down and place the kennel on the larger portion of the folded seat with the car seat in the other, that may work. However, make sure it fits before buying the car.

VW tdi Jetta sportwagen or the Golf sportwagen. TDi averaged 42mpgs. I think the gassers averaged high 30s.

I put 160K on the Jetta wagen TDI in under 5 years and sold it back during the buyback recall and bought a new Tacoma. My wife as I loved the wagen.

We just bought a used focus hatchback as a daily runner, with a seat folded down, you can easily fit a kennel in the focus.
    Brett Shaffer

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Check the National Highway Safety website for any an all vehicles for safety issues, recalls, problems BEFORE you buy.

My wife has a Subaru outback and it's not a 40 mpg car closer to 30mpg. It can handle a big kennel and we love it and everybody I know that has one loves theirs. They are great on snow and ice, very dependable.

The Subaru Outback seems to be the Montana State car. That plus every commercial on tv shows some happy person or family with their dog getter out of an Outback.

I burn too much fossil fuel to be allowed in a Subaru dealership.

I drive a 3500 Sierra Quad Cab for dogs, but recently bought a VW Tiguan as a commuter car. Very nice and inexpensive. Can get AWD too. Seems like would be good for what you describe. VW dealership has only slightly less tree hugging going on than Subaru, but it only takes an hour or so to buy one, then you never have to go back.
    Glen Guider, GA
    HRCH UH Candlewoods Captain Jack Sparrow MH QA2
    HR UH Candlewoods Small Town Southern Man "AJ" MH QA2
    GRHRCH UH Gandy's Ready for a Hurricane "Maggie" MH QA2
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QA2
    SML's Burn Notice "Fiona" QA2
    Red Squad's Randall Raines "Memphis"

We went car shopping to replace my wife's Honda Pilot 4 years ago. She test drove Ford Edge, Toyota Highlander, and RAV4. When she said let's look at the Subaru I was incredulous but went with her and drove the Outback with the 4 cylinder engine, decent performance and enough acceleration to get on the freeway without getting rear ended. She decided on the 6 cylinder and I'm glad she did, decent mileage and plenty of power for passing. She choose the high end model with leather, sunroof, Sirius Satellite radio etc., the Outback has the most front seat leg room in it's class and I love it! Would buy another one in a heartbeat and I am a truck guy.

My friend has a Subaru that is 7 years old and I heard the transmission in some of those arent the best. Instead of a recall they extended the warranty to 100,000. He had 96,000 miles on his and the transmission went out. He was out of town and Subaru paid for a rental car for a week and the tow truck and gave him a new transmission. He was out nothing. I think that is a pretty good company, I will buy another one.

Remember the Subaru "Brat"? Subaru have been running a recent ad describing the Subaru as the Massachusetts State Vehicle. They really push it for female buyers, the little AWD "girlie" car. Not politics but smart niche marketing. You remember "Herbie" and the other touch bud vases? Like Silver Labs.