Short Wipeout marks in Training
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Short Wipeout marks in Training

Default Short Wipeout marks in Training

yesterday we started teaching a concept of short (less than 10 yds) wipe out marks. We threw a long single maybe 150-200 and then two wipe out marks in the decoys 10-20ft from the line. Dogs handled it pretty well, a few wanted to pick up the first wipe out and then run long. had to whistle stop and pick up 2nd wipeout and then pick up long bird. They all pinned the long single. Plan is to incorporate this over the next few days to where we are throwing doubles and triples in the field and having 2-3 or even 4 wipeout birds up close to the line. teaching them to count. I feel like this is a classic scenario in most hunts when you have a group of ducks come in. 2-3 fall right in front of the blind and one or two further out. Also in SRS events a lot. Thoughts?
    Last edited by jroberts; 05-22-2018 at 07:39 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jroberts View Post
    I feel like this is a classic scenario in most hunts when you have a group of ducks come in. 2-3 fall right in front of the blind and one or two further out. Also in SRS events a lot. Thoughts?
    In the "classic scenario" I generally find the 2-3 short birds fall first and the longest bird falls last. So the short birds do not wipe out the long mark. The dog needs to be able to look off the short birds and watch the long bird fall and in many cases retrieve long birds first since they are probably not hit as hard.

Many years ago there was a FT judge that was known for throwing the short bird first in triples because that was what happened more often in a true "hunting situation".

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!