Dogtra 3500 VS Dogtra Edge RT?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogtra 3500 VS Dogtra Edge RT?

Default Dogtra 3500 VS Dogtra Edge RT?

Looking at buying a new collar and trying to decide between these two. I have run the 3500 in the past. Few people have suggested the RT. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by c.j. View Post
    Looking at buying a new collar and trying to decide between these two. I have run the 3500 in the past. Few people have suggested the RT. Thoughts?
    RT is an excellent piece of equipment. I purchased mine as soon as they became available, abusing it in the duck blind, dog box, 4 wheeler rack....no issues. Durable, Extremely Long battery life, consistent corrections, and friendly in the hand.

I got an RT recently and am not fond of it. The battery life is terrible and the corrections are not consistent. I end up with it on 8 half of the time for a dog that needs a 4. Then out of the blue one day it’s hotter than hades. I think I talked mysself into getting up with Pete lol. FWIW the trainer I have used got a newer one before I did and complains of the same issues. Pretty sure he sent his back and got a different one.
    HRCH Twin Rivers Rowdy Roddy Piper
    FC GRHRCH Franchises Performance Enhancing Drug

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

My RT was complete junk. Wouldn't correct in water.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Allen View Post
    I got an RT recently and am not fond of it. The battery life is terrible and the corrections are not consistent. I end up with it on 8 half of the time for a dog that needs a 4. Then out of the blue one day it’s hotter than hades. I think I talked mysself into getting up with Pete lol. FWIW the trainer I have used got a newer one before I did and complains of the same issues. Pretty sure he sent his back and got a different one.
    I've talked to others who've had the same experience. Inconsistent stim levels especially in the water. I'm guessing Dogtra may have corrected some/most of those issues, but they acknowledge it exists on some units and will send you replacement contact points to supposedly fix the issue. The people who don't have inconsistent stim issues seem to love them, but there are several who've had problems.
    Last edited by bamajeff; 05-21-2018 at 02:33 PM.
    HRCH Laney's Chocolate Roux MH QAA
    HRCH Full Steam Coaltrain RIP

Its pretty frustrating--Ive yet to collar condition with it and I can only imagine it would be a pain. Pete is supposed to call me shortly about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bamajeff View Post
    I've talked to others who've had the same experience. Inconsistent stim levels especially in the water. I'm guessing Dogtra may have corrected some/most of those issues, but they acknowledge it exists on some units and will send you replacement contact points to supposedly fix the issue. The people who don't have inconsistent stim issues seem to love them, but there are several who've had problems.

I had inconsistent stimulation issues in water at first too, but called Dogtra Customer Service and they sent a pair of insulated contact points. Since then, it's been the best collar I've ever owned and I used to be a dyed-in-the-wool TT guy. The Dogtra Edge RT is the way to go. Just make sure you get the insulated contacts.
    FCR "Legend" - Ryvertowns More Than A Memory CD SH QA2
    LAB "Traitor" - AFC All Out Gone to The Dark Side
    LAB "Teaser" - All Out Wizzard's Little Flirt QAA
    FCR "Kenai" - Kaotic's Allout Brother Bear

Forever in my heart:
    FCR "Ransom" - Coastalight Toodoggone Much CDX MH *** (2012 MN Qualifier and All-Age pointed!)

Quote Originally Posted by bamajeff View Post
    I sent my RT unit to Dogtra and asked for a replacement unit or my money back. They sent me the same unit back with the contact points changed out. It didn't change a damn thing and the collar was still useless.

Unfortunately, I left the transmitter on the tailgate of my truck and it fell off and got crushed the first day I tried it out after getting it back.

Shi**y product compounded with shi**y service. Very disappointing considering I've used their collars and releases for about 20 years.

I went back to my old TT 500. At least I KNOW it is correcting.
    Last edited by KNorman; 05-21-2018 at 02:58 PM.

I’d pay a pile of money for another pro 500

I switched from a pro200 to an rt and love it. I loved my pro200 had it for a while with no issues but when farming bought them out I sold all my TT stuff. I, thankfully, have had no issues with my unit. I hate to hear some have had problems with theirs. I don’t like the 3500 rheostat dial, too hard to use for me.
    "Proud Member of Black Labs Matter Movement"