Anyone have any experience with CBD oil for Dogs for Arthritis?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any experience with CBD oil for Dogs for Arthritis?

Default Anyone have any experience with CBD oil for Dogs for Arthritis?

I have a 10 year old dog that can't take any NSAIDS. She had CCL surgery a few years ago and I have her on extra-strength Glucosamine which had been working well, but now she is limping a little more. Tramadol helps but I would like to try CBD oil. Anyone have recommendations for certain products? They are not cheap and I want to make sure I am not getting scammed and they are as pure as possible.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Doc E has a bunch of information linked on the Gun Dog Forum (Duck Hunter's Refuge forums)...
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I give my male CBD to help control his itching, it takes a while to build up in the dogs system but his itching has gone away. I'm happy with the results. I but it from Amazon it's called serenity hemp oil. Get the larger bottle it will go fast. It says it works on pain so should work for you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

If you buy CBD specifically for dogs you will overpay dramatically. (I'm talking about you, Cannapet)
    If you buy CBD tinctures from a hemp purveyor formulated for people you will overpay but a little less dramatically.
    If you buy CBD tinctures for people from a dispensary you will over pay a little less dramatically still.
    If you buy CBD isolate and make your own tinctures with MCT or another oil you will pay about 20% of what you would pay buying formulas for pets...

We've been buying 500mg in an MCT tincture from the dispensary and paying $45 per 500 mg, sometimes it goes on sale.

I bought 2 grams of CBD isolate yesterday for $60 (missed the sale when it was at $20/gram) and made tinctures up last night - takes about 15 minutes...so i got 4 dropper bottles worth of tincture for $60 versus the $180 I would have paid at the dispensary and the much much higher price for a tincture that says 'pet' on it.

Seems to be very helpful, especially helps my 14 year old warrior sleep at night.

You want CBD, not hemp oil.
    Last edited by spaightlabs; 06-15-2018 at 10:38 AM.
    Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Higly recommend your read the threads mentioned above in the duck hunter refuge.
    Here is a link
    http://www.refugeforums.com/threads/...#post-10976077
    I need to see some studies before I jump on board.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

Quote Originally Posted by spaightlabs View Post
    I bought 2 grams of CBD isolate yesterday for $60 (missed the sale when it was at $20/gram) and made tinctures up last night - takes about 15 minutes...so i got 4 dropper bottles worth of tincture for $60 versus the $180 I would have paid at the dispensary and the much much higher price for a tincture that says 'pet' on it.
    Where did you buy the isolate?? Important it is in the correct oil like you mention MCT, or Krill oil was mentioned.
    Human CBD products are not well absorbed by dogs from my reading, but there is still alot of conjecture and mis-information out there. (in supplements?? surely not-VBG)
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

Hi Doc Baxter.

I don't think the isolate is any different for humans or dogs, just the base oils.

I used non-GMO MCT oil to make my tinctures.

Colorado has a pretty good supply of hemp producers and there are several outfits producing the CBD isolate which is derived from CO2 extraction versus chemical extraction.

The manufacturer of the product I purchased is called CB Distillery and they ship nationwide.

Thank you for the help in posts and pms. I have discovered there are many pet CBD and hemp oils of various grades and prices. I contacted the one on the Refuge and their "support" is just a computer constantly emailing to buy so I am not impressed since they offered a coupon and their website does not honor it when you order. Thank you Spaightlabs for your advice. First I want to see if it works. No dispensary here (I wish) but I may have a contact. Very helpful. Looking for the purist CBD to try.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Nancy - the folks at CB Distillery have the lab certifications (get it , HA!) of purity online and will ship to WI. - they are 99% and higher for CBD.

Their CBD has no THC or other psychoactive ingredients, so legal. I will be back in East Troy, WI sometime this summer otherwise and could 'mule' some your direction.

Otherwise, we can buy retail here easily and I'd be happy to ship some your way. a 1 gram container is about the diameter of quarter and 1 inch high. They sell .5 gram containers as well so the investment is small to give it a try. I don't think there is any possible harm from CBD, but I don't know for 100% certain on that and leave that answer for the DVM and MDs to answer.

Instructions on how to make tinctures or lotions below.

https://discovercbd.com/pages/cbd-re...nd-suggestions

Most of the 'results' folks report are subjective - there just isn't peer-reviewed and controlled studies out there.
    Last edited by spaightlabs; 06-15-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Funny thing. I just came from my grand-daughter's graduation party. A couple there have a 15 year old lab they were going to put down because she couldn't get up to a standing position after laying down. She was unable to really get around much at all. After starting her on the CBD oil, she's mobile and can actually get up on their couch on her own.

Just an anecdote. Hardly scientific.
    Magister venator aliquando si deus vult