Anyone have any experience with CBD oil for Dogs for Arthritis? - Page 4
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any experience with CBD oil for Dogs for Arthritis?

A subject Franco has expert knowledge of and he probably won't share.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenpoacher View Post
    A subject Franco has expert knowledge of and he probably won't share.
    That is just a dumb post.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Sarah, what do we know about interaction between cbd products and other drugs dogs might be taking? Is that or should that be a concern?
    Thanks!
    Great question, I'd like to know that too. Glad to see some "real research" being done, is there a way to see some of the research reports?
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I have been using the Hemp Chews made for dogs on my old girl and it helps. I wasn't sure how much until I ran out and it took a week to get it in and the turn around with her was very noticeable. I use it to keep her comfortable. Not helping with the hind legs giving out , but she does sleep better and seems to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by NateB View Post
    Great question, I'd like to know that too. Glad to see some "real research" being done, is there a way to see some of the research reports?
    i attended a seminar one year ago presented by Dr. Dawn Booth a Diplomate of The American College of Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology, professor at Auburn University, and highly respected veterinary pharmacologist. She cautioned veterinarians about dispensing CBD products, one concern being potential interaction with other drugs. I am hoping more information exists today. Could we be inactivating heartworm preventatives or drugs given for epilepsy, thyroid disease, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    i attended a seminar one year ago presented by Dr. Dawn Booth a Diplomate of The American College of Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology, professor at Auburn University, and highly respected veterinary pharmacologist. She cautioned veterinarians about dispensing CBD products, one concern being potential interaction with other drugs. I am hoping more information exists today. Could we be inactivating heartworm preventatives or drugs given for epilepsy, thyroid disease, etc?
    When Dr. Booth speaks, I listen. Would be nice to understand the pharmacology and physiologic response to the newest "wonder drug".
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

I had a 10.5-year-old who underwent Chemo Treatment, during the treatment I had to discontinue any type of anti-inflammatory- so I tried Canna-Pet. Worked like a charm. Right now I have an 8-year-old with a bum shoulder- he is also on Cana-Pet with the help of Dasuquin with MSM... Still working like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by MKaty Gutermuth View Post
    I had a 10.5-year-old who underwent Chemo Treatment, during the treatment I had to discontinue any type of anti-inflammatory- so I tried Canna-Pet. Worked like a charm. Right now I have an 8-year-old with a bum shoulder- he is also on Cana-Pet with the help of Dasuquin with MSM... Still working like a charm.
    when you say works like a charm what do you mean? Is the dog able to run and compete or does it just help with comfort? Can i ask what is wrong with his shoulder?

Quote Originally Posted by younggun86 View Post
    when you say works like a charm what do you mean? Is the dog able to run and compete or does it just help with comfort? Can i ask what is wrong with his shoulder?
    Worked like a Charm as in the 8-year-old with Arthritis in his shoulder is able to train 4 days a week and run Trials and is very comfortable. I started with the CBD Oil from Canna-Pet it worked okay, but I didn't see a big improvement, maybe that was me administering it. I switched to the CBD Capsils - and I saw a really really big improvement. My 8-year-old went from being lame by the end of the week to not being lame at all.

I have no direct experience with CBD products for dogs but this is what I have recently learned during discussion this month with my vet regarding arthritis care for 11.5yr female Lab, who is post TPLO just over 1 year ago. CBD product may be in her future. She has been given dasuquin, a glucosamine chondritin supplement for past 3-4yrs. Had been recently started on daily carprofen for "stiffness" and intermittent lameness. On exam she was tender when vet assessed her back or spine. Added gabapentin for that with excellent response. We are also participating in a canine fitness and conditioning program that concentrates on stretching and strengthening moves which seems to be helpful. She is doing very well now, no longer struggling in the deep snow, no limping after exercise and overall has regained her puppy like enthusiasm about getting out and about. Vet and I discussed the chronic nature of arthritis plus aging process. If the gabapentin had not been as successful as it worked out, her next step was to add CBD, which we may still need to do in future as she continues to age. As RN I am leery of CBD products as there are no manufacturing standards and concentrations can vary greatly even between different samples of same product. Marijuana is legal here in Maine, but since THC is toxic to dogs... proper sourcing and quality control of cannabinoids is imperative. My vet group was part of a Cornell study of CBD for dogs with OA(osteo arthritis). My vet was impressed with both the quality control of product and results of the study. The product is a glucosamine chew with CBD oil from hemp. It is made by ElleVet a local company here in Portland Maine. Their products are now available to the public from your veterinarian or directly from the manufacturer. https://www.ellevetsciences.com/shop/
    Here is link to Cornell study
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...018.00165/full