Trial Dogs With Grass Allergy
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trial Dogs With Grass Allergy

Default Trial Dogs With Grass Allergy

Does anyone have any experience in campaigning a dog that has a grass allergy? Or hunting them?

I am suspect that I have a young puppy (4 months old) with a grass allergy and I am wanting to know how manageable it is, and what you may do to ensure the dog is not miserable?

Please, help me, I feel terrible for my young man.

NOTE: Please be aware that the dog is being treated and monitored by a Veterinarian so please no stupid comments like 'you need to ask your vet'. I am looking for personal experiences from people with a confirmed allergy tested dog and their management.
    HRCH Stonewalls Odin Seeking Wisdom (Odin)
    Red Squad's Day Off (Bueller)

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

That's very early for an environmental allergy diagnosis. What are you feeding him?
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    That's very early for an environmental allergy diagnosis. What are you feeding him?
    He is on Royal Canine Adult HP, which is veterinarian prescribed for a food trial to rule out any food allergies. Its not working. Also after having him in the grass all day on saturday he broke out like I've never seen him before. there is hard evidence that what we are seeing is in fact a grass allergy. we have treated for dermal parasites, and found nothing on a skin scrape or a fungal culture. The antihistamine/low dose steroid subdued the symptoms and alleviated the itching, however he's too young to be maintained on a steroid long term as it will be harmful to his liver. I understand it seems rare, but I dont see any other cause. We have been in and out of the vet for over a month with this totaling like 4-5 visits. He's had a rough time, and im nearing the end of my savings account to pay for it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

You didn't say what part of his body is showing symptoms. Try working some Corn Huskers hand lotion on his face and feet to put a barrier between grass exposer and coat. Maybe some Benadryl before heading out.
    Lady Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hunter View Post
    You didn't say what part of his body is showing symptoms. Try working some Corn Huskers hand lotion on his face and feet to put a barrier between grass exposer and coat. Maybe some Benadryl before heading out.
    Its over his entire body, he has scabs on his belly from scratching, on his front legs from biting himself, on his hocks from them beating the floor scratching, back legs from biting, on his side, and has dandruff on the back of his shoulder blades.

My experience has led me to believe that mites can be deep seated and not always found in a skin scrapings. I had a client go through years and 3 vets to find that out. How did you treat for mites? I have found that topical Revolution works and you can also add a Preventik collar. I don't know about a Seresto collar but you can use the other two together if necessary. I assume you are using Temaril P. Sometimes it's only necessary in the hot summer months. For a future field dog it would be best to find out what it is. Mites are a lot more common in a young dog as eventually their immunity gets stronger and suppresses them. It can be managed, but getting in and out of water will exaggerate the problem because it's best to shampoo them after they swim with a Ketoconizole based shampoo.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

People almost always ask about the food first because a lot of times it is food that causes allergy issues. However if your certain it’s not food
    There is a shot that many dogs get for allergy type issues
    Ask your vet about “cider point” the shot will last 30-45 days and generally long enough to get by the season
    Last year for example : the one in Wisconsin in the summer got 2 shot , the one in Alabama got 2 shots and the dogs are on different foods.
    This year “ knock on wood” no shots . The dogs were 3 and 5 years old at the time The one in Wisconsin had shots for 2 summers. The one in bama was just the one year
    Ask about Cider Point ( sp)
    Good luck
    Dk

My experience has led me to believe that mites can be deep seated and not always found in a skin scrapings. I had a client go through years and 3 vets to find that out. How did you treat for mites? I have found that topical Revolution works and you can also add a Preventik collar. I don't know about a Seresto collar but you can use the other two together if necessary. I assume you are using Temaril P. Sometimes it's only necessary in the hot summer months. For a future field dog it would be best to find out what it is. Mites are a lot more common in a young dog as eventually their immunity gets stronger and suppresses them. It can be managed, but getting in and out of water will exaggerate the problem because it's best to shampoo them after they swim with a Ketoconizole based shampoo.
    We were on temaril P for quite some time, we have treated for both sarcoptic and demodex mange. we did a regiment of ivermectin for a month and a half, in addition to an initial bathing 3 days in a row and every third subsequent day with a 2% chlorohexadine shampoo. in addition to that we are also on an oral flea and tick, I forget the name, if you said it I would remember but not now off the top of my head.

She did about 6 -8 scrapes and actually took some skin when looking for them and couldn't find anything. the doc hit them hard with the ivermectin but I dont remember the dose. it was once a week for 4 weeks and we just finished that like a week or two ago. none of my other dogs have mites, and neither do any of the litter mates. Any further suggestions or recommendations or ideas that I could present her with?

The Revolution treatment I got from a friends' vet and it worked. I would try 3 months. Otherwise go to a Veterinary Dermatologist. They can break out from bacteria on the skin in this hot weather too hence keep up the baths. The dog that had them had files a foot high and was on about 10 different supplements and antibiotics and it ended up deep seated mites. I took him in as a rescue and got him off everything except 1mg of prednisone a week kept him from itching himself raw.
    Last edited by ErinsEdge; 07-03-2018 at 12:31 PM.
    Nancy P

The Revolution treatment I got from a friends' vet and it worked. I would try 3 months. Otherwise go to a Veterinary Dermatologist. They can break out from bacteria on the skin in this hot weather too hence keep up the baths. The dog that had them had files a foot high and was on about 10 different supplements and antibiotics and it ended up deep seated mites. I took him in as a rescue and got him off everything except 1mg of prednisone a week kept him from itching himself raw.

Are you aware of any ivermectin resistant mites?