Trial Dogs With Grass Allergy - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trial Dogs With Grass Allergy

I don't think once a week for 4 weeks is enough because you still have to deal with the reason and that is the individual has a weak immunity.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

To the OP,
    My Lab has severe grass and mite allergies. Send me a PM, and I can email you his bloodwork report, which quantifies things a bit. Your description sounds like what we went through when he was young. We previously used aproquel, but have recently switched to an injectable anti-histamine that lasts about six weeks. He is on that medicine about 8-9 months out of the year.

In addition, our Vet recommended we supplement his food with fish oil, aiming for 1,500 MG of EPA per day. The combination of everything I have mentioned has essentially suppressed 90% of his issues.

I've run him in FTs, HTs, and is now going into his 7th year as a duck dog.
    Last edited by Windjammer; 07-08-2018 at 02:22 PM.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    I don't think once a week for 4 weeks is enough because you still have to deal with the reason and that is the individual has a weak immunity.
    By chance is this Dr. Keller from UWM?

Regardless I have a couple more questions for you. If the root cause was mites, sarcoptes scabiei?, why would the antihistamine/corticosteriod suppress they clinical signs?
    Additionally, what would you be suspect of for the flare up after being in the grass all day on saturday?
    Im curious on your thoughts related to these.
    HRCH Stonewalls Odin Seeking Wisdom (Odin)
    Red Squad's Day Off (Bueller)

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kress View Post
    People almost always ask about the food first because a lot of times it is food that causes allergy issues. However if your certain it’s not food
    There is a shot that many dogs get for allergy type issues
    Ask your vet about “cider point” the shot will last 30-45 days and generally long enough to get by the season
    Last year for example : the one in Wisconsin in the summer got 2 shot , the one in Alabama got 2 shots and the dogs are on different foods.
    This year “ knock on wood” no shots . The dogs were 3 and 5 years old at the time The one in Wisconsin had shots for 2 summers. The one in bama was just the one year
    Ask about Cider Point ( sp)
    Good luck
    Dk
    Cytopoint really worked well for my one allergy dog after trying multiple other medications.
    https://www.zoetisus.com/products/dogs/cytopoint/
    Terrie Tomlinson

HR Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Rummy, Jewels, Pepper, Chip, Wager, Windy, Harley, Cajun

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH (4-16-2006 to 9-11-2016)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Apoquel and lotradine everyday has done wonders for us.
    HRCH Bear Branch Simply Amazing Grace MH (FC AFC Espirits Power Play x Viking Calamity Kate MH)-Retired

Bullet's Hit The Mark-Shooter QA2 (NFC Robbers Stray Bullet x Princeton's Katy Did It QAA)

SLR's Big Green Smash-Hulk (FC/AFC Good Ideas Have It Your Way x Five Stars Making the Grade QAA)

To improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often- Winston Churchill

Cytopoint!!! We have had great results with Cytopoint. It usually lasts 6-8 weeks. I have a dog that is allergic to dust mites and some grasses. He was on allergy shots for over 2 years without the results of Cytopoint.
    Last edited by Mark Sehon; 07-03-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Dogs being breed with genetic drawbacks. Profit/ego over biology. Seen it and the breeders continue.

Quote Originally Posted by swliszka View Post
    Dogs being breed with genetic drawbacks. Profit/ego over biology. Seen it and the breeders continue.
    You wanna try that again?!

Since your so biologically inclined please explain the mechanism of an immune response to an allergen. And further explain how that’s related to genetics. Otherwise carry on with your rude uncalled for comment.

Kick rocks.

Could he have run through thistle or nettle? Been bitten by mosquitos? Biting flies? Swimming in water with a lot of goose or duck poop? So many things out there that could cause itching this time of year. How did you narrow it down to grass?
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

SR Pinyon Cassidy UD RM JH (golden retriever, 3/28/2016; avatar)
    My best bad decision

HR Maple Cassidy UDX OM1 JH RM RAE (golden retriever, 6/24/2009)
    Up for anything, as long as she doesn't have to leave home to do it

And all the others forever in my heart

"There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness." Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by PalouseDogs View Post
    Could he have run through thistle or nettle? Been bitten by mosquitos? Biting flies? Swimming in water with a lot of goose or duck poop? So many things out there that could cause itching this time of year. How did you narrow it down to grass?
    the specific location was ventrally located from the beginning. specific behavior of the animal. he avoids grasses, like the plague, he's even resorted to airing on the sidewalk as opposed to the grass and if he does use the grass he gets half in, pees, and jumps back out. that in combination with all the treatment we have already been through ruling things out as we go.