The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RNT-V Featuring Lou and Gator

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Barton View Post
    Karl With A K
    I guess Entry Express must have the pile of entries for Carl With a K wrong, and Shawn must not know his dog's name...

I think RNT-V is the cream of the crop of hunting shows. Jimmy and Stahl both have great presence on camera and you can tell they are both dog guys. I appreciate how calm they are and that they take the time to line their dogs on EVERY retrieve. Jimbo and Shawn obviously form a team with their dogs, not so on a lot of shows.

If you ever watch The Grind, Bill Willroth throws his arm like he is having a seizure to send his dog 'Max' and that really grinds my gears.
    Last edited by spaightlabs; 08-20-2018 at 07:11 PM.
    Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn S. View Post
    Thanks Chris. Found my login and I appreciate you pointing this out.

Joel as stated that was the outfitters dogs and this was filmed before Karl...aka Carl with a K. We had flown in for the hunt and not intended to use a dog. The situation arose that we could hunt water and we needed dogs. I don't ever advocate a breaking dog, in fact anyone that knows or follows me will attest that the THEME is I promote the use of a steady well trained retriever.

All dogs will break at some point in thier career. Mine included. But I will say it's only once every couple of years and the correction is swift and to the point. Breaking dogs are not only dangerous but affect the quality of a hunt for those participating.

Back to the clip you mentioned. These were actually 2 dogs trained to a fairly high level by a couple well known retriever trainers. Due to the style of hunting and the need to get cripples before they got out of range they were allowed to break. Again, not what I'd do but it was an invitation hunt.

You stated that breaking was a general "theme" of my hunts....it just simply isn't. My dogs are sent on name, not on the shot call. In some situations what could be perceived as breaking is actually our editor speeding up the hunt...birds go down, see dog pick up bird....etc...again...I don't let my dogs break, sometimes the edit may be perceived as such.

Thanks for your concerns. I hope that helps change your assumptions.

Shawn Stahl
    Shawn, thanks for the clarification. I like watching your segments on RNT-V, and I knew that you trained a lot. And the fact that you cared enough about what was being said to get on here and offer a well worded, non argumentative explanation speaks well of you. And I hope my words below come across in a similar fashion.

I can't find the episode online of the breaking incident that sticks out so vividly in my mind, but it was an early hunt in Canada. You all were in layouts in a cut field hunting greater, 747 sized honkers, and the dog was behind you. He came racing out mid volley. And to be honest, it was a while ago that I watched it. Probably last year or before. Hell it probably wasn't Carl with a K either. So theme maybe a stronger word than necessary. But the episode obviously left an impression on me to think that way.

I know full well all dogs break. I promise. It was an issue I had to deal with a good bit last year in the blind with my young dog working next to another fresh hunter. And as stated, correction is swift and appropriate. To my point, I hold you, and anyone else lucky enough to make a living hunting in front of a camera for others to view, to a higher standard. Mostly because of the influence that you hold over the young hunters now days that are looking for role models. So demonstrating good, ethical hunts, and safe practices is paramount in my eye. So allowing a dog to break into a volley for God and all to see isn't the type of example I think that should be perpetuated. We all know stuff happens. Poor decisions are made in the heat of the moment. But I just think they shouldn't be shown, unless to point out to the correction that is needed.

All in all, I am probably making to much out of it. So I apologize for that.

Joel
    Last edited by jwilliams38930; 08-23-2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: spelling
    Joel Williams

HRCH Halloween Honey's Axle Rose JH

I watched the show and thought it was pretty cool that that little jack Russell could handle birds bigger than him. Trainer did a good job with him. Thought it was funny though that he did not want any part of getting in the water. They had a lab with them so it did all the water work.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Ok forego the humor -Karl or Carl With A K -extremely
    well bred - Derby List -several Open placements-running the retriever game at it’s Highest level gets criticism from ? gallery-I’ve seen the dog run -judged him in an Open-quality dog, doesn’t break or to my knowledge-even move and making assumptions off a video “breaks with a B” is that elitist hunt test or gun dog hubris?(if there is such a thing)

It cracked me up that Gator has tons of Heart for retrieving ! Jimbo went on a Low Carb Diet which is known as Keto diet .

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn S. View Post
    Thanks Chris. Found my login and I appreciate you pointing this out.

Joel as stated that was the outfitters dogs and this was filmed before Karl...aka Carl with a K. We had flown in for the hunt and not intended to use a dog. The situation arose that we could hunt water and we needed dogs. I don't ever advocate a breaking dog, in fact anyone that knows or follows me will attest that the THEME is I promote the use of a steady well trained retriever.

All dogs will break at some point in thier career. Mine included. But I will say it's only once every couple of years and the correction is swift and to the point. Breaking dogs are not only dangerous but affect the quality of a hunt for those participating.

Back to the clip you mentioned. These were actually 2 dogs trained to a fairly high level by a couple well known retriever trainers. Due to the style of hunting and the need to get cripples before they got out of range they were allowed to break. Again, not what I'd do but it was an invitation hunt.

You stated that breaking was a general "theme" of my hunts....it just simply isn't. My dogs are sent on name, not on the shot call. In some situations what could be perceived as breaking is actually our editor speeding up the hunt...birds go down, see dog pick up bird....etc...again...I don't let my dogs break, sometimes the edit may be perceived as such.

Thanks for your concerns. I hope that helps change your assumptions.

Shawn Stahl
    HAHA I love this response. Carl with a K has several open placements, including a whole slough of JAMs. I wouldn't exactly be worried about a dog like that breaking. Seems some folks need to pay more attention to training their own dog and less watching tv. lol

I didnt get to see the episode on tv because I dont get that channel, and quite frankly wasn't home. but I do enjoy following Alex and Gator on Instagram. That little dude has HEART and he can run some sho nuff MARKS! Alex has done a hell of a job with that pooch!
    HRCH Stonewalls Odin Seeking Wisdom (Odin)
    Red Squad's Day Off (Bueller)

I just now saw this thread, so I apologize for the late response. Just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone who commented. Gator is so much fun to work with and has so much heart, I love that little dog! On the topic of breaking, he has been the hardest dog to steady. Don’t typically have issues at tests or in training, but I carry a stake and leash with me on every hunt! Other than that, he really is a helluva dog.