House Breaking
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: House Breaking

Default House Breaking

Hello, my wife and I just brought home a 10 week black lab puppy on Saturday 8/18. While we've both grown up with labs, this is the first puppy we will be raising together, so some things are a little new to us. Initial housebreaking had been going well, we can tell when Beau needs to use the potty, and we take him outside. In the past week or so that we've had him, he's only had 1 poop accident on the carpet. His normal #2 schedule is first thing in the morning, 15-20 mins after breakfast, around 2pm, 15-20 minutes after dinner, and then again right before bed. We have been really proud of him, and have gone almost 3 days without any type of accident. However, yesterday was the first day that my wife worked from home, and we didn't need to crate him at all through the day. She would take him outside very consistently, but would not potty. As soon as she brought him inside, he would pee on the carpet - this happened 3 times throughout the day. Then after I got home from work, he had dinner and we went outside and pottied. But then later that night he had a #2 accident on the carpet, and then another one this morning. Even though we take him outside every 10-15 minutes after a meal, he still messes inside. This seems like a huge setback considering how well he was doing. My wife is growing very frustrated because she is the one left to clean up most messes since I'm gone 5am - 6pm every day. We don't use any negative reinforcement when he potties inside, just a lot of praise when he goes outside. Looking forward to hear everyone's advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

3 days of no accidents does not mean your pup is housebroken. I would go back to the crate. Keep things simple and clear. Give him playtime, of course, but he can tolerate a couple hours at a time in the crate. Then, as soon as he is taken out of the crate, immediately take him outside and give him plenty of time to air. Puppies can get easily sidetracked. Every time he goes to the bathroom (during the act itself) give the command 'go potty' or whatever you want to use. Eventually he will go to the bathroom when he hears the command.

also - if the behavior continues or worsens, if he has accidents (pees) in the crate or tries to pee with very little urine, etc - he may have a UTI.... just something to keep in mind.
    Last edited by Tobias; 08-29-2018 at 06:30 AM.

Thanks Tobias, i think you're definitely right about the crate training. It gives him some sort of structure and expectations from us if we're consistent about it. you mention giving him plenty of time when outside because of getting sidetracked, and that could also be part of the problem. Often times he'll look like he needs to go outside, we'll take him out and he will play with dandelions - might just need some time to remember he has to go.

Also thanks for the heads up on the UTI, we're going to the vet on Friday and i'll mention something and see if they have any concerns

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Yeah, I think routine is key.

We have three dogs that live in the house with us. All are housebroken now. They were all liable to have accidents up to about six months. It became more rare after that (only if we left it too long to leave them out for example). There is no easy way around it. Don't forget to 'check' them if they do have an accident in the house.

After a while, in the early stages, the dogs will try go to quiet places in the house to potty, because they are trying to stay out of trouble, so keep all your indoor doors closed so they have no where to hide, and increase your chance of catching him in the act. And of course praise him when he takes his dumps outside

When you leave the dog out and he does not go potty, I found it beneficial to out wait him, until he goes. It's a pain in the a$$, but he'll get the idea.

One of our dogs is a black lab -> when they have accidents from 3-6 months they tend to be big pee's, I'm sorry to say. I hope you have wooden floors. It may be best to keep the dog off the couch until he is potty trained too - speaking from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by paodwyer View Post
    Yeah, I think routine is key.

We have three dogs that live in the house with us. All are housebroken now. They were all liable to have accidents up to about six months. It became more rare after that (only if we left it too long to leave them out for example). There is no easy way around it. Don't forget to 'check' them if they do have an accident in the house.

After a while, in the early stages, the dogs will try go to quiet places in the house to potty, because they are trying to stay out of trouble, so keep all your indoor doors closed so they have no where to hide, and increase your chance of catching him in the act. And of course praise him when he takes his dumps outside

When you leave the dog out and he does not go potty, I found it beneficial to out wait him, until he goes. It's a pain in the a$$, but he'll get the idea.

One of our dogs is a black lab -> when they have accidents from 3-6 months they tend to be big pee's, I'm sorry to say. I hope you have wooden floors. It may be best to keep the dog off the couch until he is potty trained too - speaking from experience.
    What do you mean by "check" them if they have an accident in the house?

I don't encourage people to punish/physically correct their puppy for going in the house. That is ALL on the human in charge for not watching them closely enough. Making a puppy afraid to go, to the point they seek a quiet place to hide to do it to avoid staying out of trouble is not what I advocate to my buyers at all. Do your diligence, take pup out frequently, use a command word when you go out if you want, praise pup when they go outside, be consistent, watch pup like a hawk when loose, crate when you can't. It takes some time and consistency and little puppies cannot be held accountable for "accidents" after just a week or two of training, not to the point of punishment. Humans tend to be lazy/distracted in watching pups, letting them run around without nearly the supervision they think they are doing, and expect too much from puppies too soon. One must also take into account bladder/UTI issues, particularly in female pups.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs
    Rainmaker's Bella Luna, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Southern Gamble, MH/QA2
    Port Bay's TNT Dynamite, MH/QA2
    Rainmaker's Working Class Payday, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Redhead, MH
    Rainmaker's Early Bird Special, MH
    Rainmaker's Pink Is The New Red, MH

I'm not sure that is the most realistic advice, as we all have jobs to go to, and obviously they are puppies so take them out on their routine, and as I said, they are liable to have accidents sometimes - so expect that and work with them.

Work with your environment to minimize the risk. 'Check' is as simple as saying 'no'. I responded to this as I work from home, which comes with some realistic constraints, such as the environment has to be fairly quiet for the most part, and you can take care of puppies doing this, but you need to set yourself and the dog up for success. We have three very well house broken dogs, three different breeds, all of whom now mostly sleep while I work, and let me know if they need to go out, which is rare as they are outside on a regular routine anyway. None of them ever had any issues with UTI's/bladder infections.

It takes some time, but we have been extremely happy with the results.

After a quick search, this might also help: http://thehousebreakingbible.com/wp/...-commandments/
    Last edited by paodwyer; 08-30-2018 at 08:39 AM.

If puppy doesn't go when taken out put it back in crate for 20min then try again.
    Also, baby puppy isn't ready for free run of house. When loose they should be in same room as you. If not, crate. Make crate a happy place.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- 2016)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie