William D Connor- RIP
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: William D Connor- RIP

Default William D Connor- RIP

It is with a heavy heart that I must post that Bill passed away last week at the of 86. in Colorado Springs Co. he was known here on the RTF as cannuckiller

Bill won the 1972 National Open with NFC AFC Royal Moose's Moe and also judged the 1977 National Amateur

He is one of a few amateur handlers to title both a lab and a Golden Retriever ( FC AFC Ripp N Ready)

Bill had judged over 100 trials major/minor stakes

a former Marine lieutenant, he was a tough man who may have had more than his share of disagreements with fellow competitors and even a few fellow judges...

He had just completed a memoir called " 50 Years to Heel and Back"

I will miss our long talks and all the things he taught me about judging and setting up field trial tests

Semper Fi Marine
    Executor of the Alanson C Brown III - Trust

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I'm sad to hear of Bills passing. He truly loved the sport. He had strong opinions, strong passions, and a strong love of the sport. RIP my friend.
    Brooks Gibson

Bad things happen when you ask common dogs to do uncommon things.

Semper Fi Marine. He was a honorable and fair man. Glad to have met and talked with him over the years, We knew many people in common. He will be missed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Sad news, indeed. Although he judged our Utah field trials a couple of times since I started with my first dog in 2012, I don't think I ever had a chance to meet him. He sent me many PMs in response to questions I have posed to the RTF, and most recently mailed me some judge sheets. I will have to double check when I get home, but I think he included some pages from his book with those.
    Last edited by Renee P.; 10-01-2018 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks, Bon. The person that first contacted me was the one helping him with his book. Writing that book has kept him going for a long time, sadly, not long enough to have it published.

Bon tracked down about Bill's death as many people were concerned that they hadn't heard from him in the last two weeks.

Bill was the judge when I won an Amateur which gave Luke (my first field trial dog and a Golden) his AFC title. Luke had his win and I needed a few points, but to get the title with another win was over the top. From that point on, Bill kept an eye on me and my dogs, would bring up questions for me to mull, could be very Marine Corp at times!, and would always answer any questions I might have. He never hesitated to step on toes if he felt they needed stepping on. I hope he went softly into the night.

Glenda

Rest in Peace, Bill. You were a mentor and a friend. I will never forget you or the memories and stories.
    Maximum Intensity's Overwatch QAA, also known as Sniper (AFC Ten Bear's Road Trip X Field of Dreams Destination Anywhere QAA)
    [email protected]
    If you are standing exactly on the South Pole and fart, it can only go up or north.

Bill judged our UT trials a couple times. Don't remember exact circumstance but on one occasion while running the qual Bill thought my dog didn't get a fair shake. I think it was a question of whether my dogs saw a mark or was distracted by some sort of interference. He actually asked me and let me decide whether I got a rerun or not! Dog missed the bird in question but he did see it go down. Told Bill thank you very much but the dog just didn't do the test, no rerun. If Bill was still with us he could tell you exactly what happened. I joked with him one time on a dog I ran in the open under him. He replied with an exact commentary on what my dog did that day and this was about 3 or 4 years after the fact! Bill was a unique individual and VERY dedicated to our sport along with everybody and every dog in it.

I feared this was going to be the outcome when Glenda made the “where is Bill” post. I can’t tell you how much I hate this outcome.

We are losing a Great Generation of Field Trialer’s and Bill was one of them.

I’m going to miss him.
    Bill Davis

Any one have Obituary information. Bill was a member of the Madison Retriever Club and we would like to get this information to our members.
    trog

Fair Winds and Following Seas. RIP
    George Billings
    Bella
    Aurora CO
    In Loving Memory
    "Scout" Amigold Eagle Eyed Scout - He left with my heart.
    "Tess" Amigold Duckus Takem - Miss her greatly