Need help from "Snipe Experts" LOL
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help from "Snipe Experts" LOL

Default Need help from "Snipe Experts" LOL

Had a weird thing happen the other day. My dog has retrieved hundreds of ducks, geese, pigeons, grouse and never ever blinked a bird. Shot a snipe the other day (the first he has ever seen) and it landed in open water about 6 inches deep. Dog ran right to it, kind of rolled it with his muzzle and left it to continue hunting.........I handled him back to it 3 times with him refusing to pick it up......finally after the fourth time and probably hearing my "you better dang well start listening voice LOL ) he picked it up. Threw it a couple of times and he went and picked it up. Does anyone know if A. they have no scent or B. They smell like crap????? Wasn't because it was his first as he loved his first sharptail the day before. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Doug View Post
    Had a weird thing happen the other day. My dog has retrieved hundreds of ducks, geese, pigeons, grouse and never ever blinked a bird. Shot a snipe the other day (the first he has ever seen) and it landed in open water about 6 inches deep. Dog ran right to it, kind of rolled it with his muzzle and left it to continue hunting.........I handled him back to it 3 times with him refusing to pick it up......finally after the fourth time and probably hearing my "you better dang well start listening voice LOL ) he picked it up. Threw it a couple of times and he went and picked it up. Does anyone know if A. they have no scent or B. They smell like crap????? Wasn't because it was his first as he loved his first sharptail the day before. Thoughts?
    hahahahaha yup, Rails and Woodies (Woodcock) dogs do not like picking up. I believe they have a bad smell and taste to the dog. We have come across this more than once where one of our Labs will say " screw you I'm not picking that up" Don't feel bad, you aren't the first nor the last to have this happen
    ROCK CHALK

I believe the phenomenon is related to scent differences between birds of differing taxonomical orders. While some pointing dogs will point most anything that smells like a bird, including turtles, others may only instinctively point birds from the gallinaceous order (ground birds such as grouse, pheasants and quail) and need to learn through formal training or experience to point other bird orders. I've had pointing pups that charged right into training pigeons but pointed the very first grouse or quail they encountered as well as everything else of its order. And if then taught to point pigeons went on to point doves, as well. By the same token once the same pup that initially bumps woodcock learns they're desired and starts pointing them, it's a pretty safe bet he'll point the snipe that share that bird's order.

Re: taste, I have had one setter that spit out its first woodcock and showed little enthusiasm for retrieving subsequent ones, but that's one dog of over a dozen I've had work them, and none of mine have shown that same disdain for snipe.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: 2017-2018 Season Log

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I hunted snipe in Minnesota the month of September. Never had any problem picking up and retrieving.Snipe. American Water Spaniels and Labrador Retrievers. No problems..has to be your dogs.

Nothing more than unfamiliarity with the scent. It happens with coots,crows or whatever. Toss the bird a few times for the dog and your problem will disappear. Some dogs just go in and snatch it up ,but the majority of dogs here do exactly what your dog did and all of them quickly learn to pick them up,

Pete
    The eye can not see what the mind does not know

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Nothing more than unfamiliarity with the scent. It happens with coots,crows or whatever. Toss the bird a few times for the dog and your problem will disappear. Some dogs just go in and snatch it up ,but the majority of dogs here do exactly what your dog did and all of them quickly learn to pick them up,

Pete
    Yep, what Pete said is right and exactly what I did.

Steve #6 my prime snipe area is Sherburne National Wildlife Area (37,000 acres) , north of you and I practiced Jump Shooting. Wore hip boots or chest waders had the dog hunt the shore line in wading water. Snipe would be flushed and by custom would circle back and land about 200-300 feet up the shore. Pumped the dogs up. NEVER had any scent/pu issues Hunted snipe/grouse in a MN state area north of Milaca but the lyme tick infestation was too severe. Used very little.Jump worked any time of day. You have to work the birds. Good luck. Grouse/snipe suck out east. Me.

PS I also made and used "marxh skis." The old has advantages.
    Last edited by swliszka; 10-09-2018 at 07:14 AM.

I always taught that you hunt "snipes" with a bag at night by calling them.
    In fact, I have some great "snipe" calls.

It is mostly technique.

Anyone want to learn how?
    Stan b & Elvis

So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory, the MOMENT." ~ Aldo Leopold

Thanks for the replies....Steve Thorton I private emailed you with a question.........Just thought it was dang weird.....after all he had his first duck,goose, grouse,pigeon,crow, quail,pheasant and coot. Never did anything but picked them right up!!! Oh well, I agree...after tossing it a coupleof times I think he will pick em right up. Road Kill.....duck season is coming up....I will take a rain check on the "YOUR" snipe hunt. LOL

[QUOTE=Dirty Doug;2124940]Thanks for the replies....Steve Thorton I private emailed you with a question.........Just thought it was dang weird.....after all he had his first duck,goose, grouse,pigeon,crow, quail,pheasant and coot. Never did anything but picked them right up!!! Oh well, I agree...after tossing it a coupleof times I think he will pick em right up. Road Kill.....duck season is coming up....I will take a rain check on the "YOUR" snipe hunt. LOL[/QUOTE

I am the only snipe exclusive hunter still alive. Knew a North Dakota hunter (Cheesie) who has been dead for 20 years and a Maine guy who hunted Labs been dead for over ten years. There are few alive who know how tp hunt them today. I know I was the only one who made and used market hunter marsh skis.My 40 year old son knows how to do it. Night snipe hunting is the standard joke.