Winger review
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winger review

Default Winger review

I seldom post comments about training equipment or supplies. The last time was a couple of years ago when I learned about AirFlow bumpers and was so excited about them that I became AirFlow's first distributor. A few weeks ago, there was a discussion on this forum about wingers and someone mentioned SlingerWingers. I'd never heard of them before, so I went to the website, www.slingerwinger.com or www.cedarspringsretrievers.com/ , looked at them and began communicating with the owner of the company. I train almost exclusively with wingers; seldom use bumper launchers. I prefer to use ducks for marks. I was so impressed with what I saw online and the information that the owner gave me that despite the fact that I already own 6 wingers and 3 box launchers (for training on walk-ups, e.g.), I decided to buy one. I bought the "Realistic" model, $10 cheaper than the "Original" model, based upon the owner's assurances that the Realistic's throw was every bit as good as the other model's. I found it interesting that the owner recommended the less expensive model. Speaking of expense, one of the other things that convinced me was that these wingers are more than $100 cheaper than the two most popular wingers. My other 6 wingers are made by both of those manufacturers. The winger arrived in just a couple of days. I began using it shortly after it arrived. The first thing I noticed is that it is very well made with quality materials, has a very good design and very good welds. Setup is a snap; much quicker than my other wingers. My understanding is that the owner will modify the design if you want. The release is a positive one that locks in place before the pouch ring is put into the release. Iíve had others accidentally launch a few times while loading them and itís dangerous when it happens; jerking my arm and wrenching my shoulder. No way it can happen with the SlingerWinger design. I really like the design for the holding the 209 primer. Iíve had primers not fire on some wingers because they donít get hit hard enough. That doesnít happen with the SlingerWinger design and because the primer base is exposed, it seems much louder. In addition, sometimes the spent primer gets stuck in some of my other wingers and itís a pain to remove them. No such problem with the SlingerWinger design. I was surprised that both bands on the same side are on a single ring, but the throw is plenty long, as long as my other wingers. I suppose that I could put all the bands on separate rings to increase the flexibility by using both the upper hooks and the lower hooks, but I donít really see the need right now with the long throw Iím getting. I can also tell just from the design that replacing the servo or wiring will be quick and easy. This is not an advertisement. I'm not selling them and I'm receiving nothing for posting this; nor do I want anything. I just want to let people know that I've very impressed with this product. By the way, he also makes stickmen and retired gunner releases that look very good and are reasonably priced. I'm planning on trying them too.
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH-30 (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille SH (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart MH (Little Guy)
    Meglyn-Firemark's I am NOT a Lab SH (Goldie)
    Meglyn's Lil Miss Sureshot SH CGCA(Annie)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2014.

www.meglynretrievers.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Don
    Any videos out there of how they load, launch etc?
    Tom Dorroh
    Boston, GA

Nice review Don,
    One question I have about these wingers is about arc. It appears the angle of the winger is fixed, the reason is sets up so fast, but if you are working on a side hill versus flat ground do you foresee a possible issue with not being able to adjust the arc of the throw?
    Appreciate your insight.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    Don
    Any videos out there of how they load, launch etc?
    Not that I know of, Tom. I'll see what I can find. If nothing else, I'll take some iPhone videos of: 1. Overview, 2. Set up, 3. Release and latch, 4. Primer location, 5. Launch w/ mallard. Then, I'll have to figure out how to post them.
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2014.

www.meglynretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by NateB View Post
    Nice review Don,
    One question I have about these wingers is about arc. It appears the angle of the winger is fixed, the reason is sets up so fast, but if you are working on a side hill versus flat ground do you foresee a possible issue with not being able to adjust the arc of the throw?
    Appreciate your insight.
    Nate - One of the videos that I plan to make is an actual launch, so you can see the arc. I've heard that Scott will do a custom build. I've seen a photo of one that is made so the angle can be changed, but I don't recall where I saw it. I'll look for it and post it if I find it. BTW - I want to stress again the quality build -- with reference to the rectangular cross piece of metal that connects left and right legs in the front near the bottom, e.g., that metal is at least twice as thick as the same part on my other wingers. I've had some of the others bend slightly. In fairness, it doesn't affect operation one bit. But there is no way that this cross piece will bend -- unless you run over it, I suppose.

www.meglynretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by NateB View Post
    Nice review Don,
    Appreciate your insight.
    Here's a video of one that's a custom build. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMvC...ature=youtu.be

www.meglynretrievers.com

Funny to read this as I also purchased a SlingerWinger last week. Your review pretty much describes it. I like the release mechanism and also the single ring design will make replacing the rubbers very easy and use less material than other brands. Some of the hardware is not stainless and I'm watching closely to see if thats an issue going forward. The throw with bumpers is excellent and with ducks is a little more than you get with a good strong young person throwing. Not needing pins for the elbows is a big plus. For an extra small fee he will make the front legs adjustable but so far using the Realistic model like you got I haven't found issue with that. I did have to take a file to knock off a few aluminum burrs at the end of the legs and where the release is mounted but other than that just pulled it out of the box and started using it. It seems lighter than the competition but I haven't weighed to be sure. Being able to haul it strung and just grabbing and loading is nice. Having reworked, rewired, restrung and replaced elbows on wingers many times this looks like a good simple design and quality build.slinger.jpg

For an extra small fee he will make the front legs adjustable
    I was thinking about this. I haven't seen the adjustable front legs that Scott puts on them, but what what would be really neat would be front legs that can extend or contract independent of one another to compensate for slopes or irregular terrain.
    Last edited by Don Smith; 11-03-2018 at 03:16 PM.

www.meglynretrievers.com

Well, I shot a couple of videos but they are in MOV format so I can't post them. Suggestions?

www.meglynretrievers.com

Will try to post a couple on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lrrOoevwVA