Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winger review

Quote Originally Posted by tabascoT View Post
    Will try to post a couple on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lrrOoevwVA
    That works. In the videos I shot, I used a mallard. Got a throw on the higher hook setting (shortest throw) of 17 paces.

BTW - If you'd used an AirFlow bumper in that video, pup would have had a center hold rather than cigaring it. Did I mention that I'm an AirFlow distributor?
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH-30 (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille SH (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart MH (Little Guy)
    Meglyn-Firemark's I am NOT a Lab SH (Goldie)
    Meglyn's Lil Miss Sureshot SH CGCA(Annie)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2014.

www.meglynretrievers.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Here are a couple of videos of the Realistic model Slinger Winger that I made:
    https://youtu.be/qWKoRB7_XY0
    https://youtu.be/nLUIQzt3NQ0

Sorry about the sound quality.
    Last edited by Don Smith; 11-04-2018 at 08:33 AM.
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2014.

www.meglynretrievers.com

Thanks for the videos guys, When I am in the market for a new winger I will strongly think about this one. It is 10 inches longer than the Mini Zinger I currently use but that is not a huge deal. I bet you could get a longer throw by tightening the tubes. I cannot re-set the pouch on my Mini Zinger without removing 2 of the straps. I don't like huge throws anyway, just need enough to simulate a well thrown hand mark. The huge throws fly so fast I am not sure the dog tracks them as well.
    I did email the guy who makes them and asked about a double winger. Would be very nice to have two throws in the field from one winger. Unfortunately would be tough to ship as it likely be "oversized and they charge a fortune for over size.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Don Smith View Post
    That works. In the videos I shot, I used a mallard. Got a throw on the higher hook setting (shortest throw) of 17 paces.

BTW - If you'd used an AirFlow bumper in that video, pup would have had a center hold rather than cigaring it. Did I mention that I'm an AirFlow distributor?
    I bought some of those for my pup that likes to hold from the end, but alas he will still cigar the Airflow bumper. But if in water he usually grabs the center, at least until he gets to shore then he will literally flip it in the air and catches by the end. He does fine with birds so I decided that is not a battle I am choosing to fight. I do like the bumpers, can throw them further than others for some reason and I like the texture. Its between them and the newer Avery bumpers for my favorite, I like the slightly bigger size of the Airflow.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

Quote Originally Posted by NateB View Post
    I bought some of those for my pup that likes to hold from the end, but alas he will still cigar the Airflow bumper. But if in water he usually grabs the center, at least until he gets to shore then he will literally flip it in the air and catches by the end. He does fine with birds so I decided that is not a battle I am choosing to fight. I do like the bumpers, can throw them further than others for some reason and I like the texture. Its between them and the newer Avery bumpers for my favorite, I like the slightly bigger size of the Airflow.
    Glad you like them. On occasion, a dog will also cigar them, but I've not seen it much. Some, including me, find them really good for force fetch, especially if a dog has a wet mouth. The biggest benefit - due to the shape, 350% more air gets to the dogs lungs than any other bumper. That's significant if you're doing repetitive drills like pile work, TT, etc. See attached. As an aside, I attach a free orange throw rope (so you can find the bumper in high cover. It took me a year to find one of my old bumpers in my back field).
    Attached Images Attached Images

www.meglynretrievers.com

Thanks for the videos guys, When I am in the market for a new winger I will strongly think about this one. It is 10 inches longer than the Mini Zinger I currently use but that is not a huge deal. I bet you could get a longer throw by tightening the tubes. I cannot re-set the pouch on my Mini Zinger without removing 2 of the straps. I don't like huge throws anyway, just need enough to simulate a well thrown hand mark. The huge throws fly so fast I am not sure the dog tracks them as well.
    I did email the guy who makes them and asked about a double winger. Would be very nice to have two throws in the field from one winger. Unfortunately would be tough to ship as it likely be "oversized and they charge a fortune for over size.
    Bear in mind that I have the tubes hooked to the higher hooks. The throw would be significantly longer on the lower hooks.

www.meglynretrievers.com

Nice review Don,
    One question I have about these wingers is about arc. It appears the angle of the winger is fixed, the reason is sets up so fast, but if you are working on a side hill versus flat ground do you foresee a possible issue with not being able to adjust the arc of the throw?
    Appreciate your insight.
    For those who have asked, the winger now comes with adjustable legs to change the trajectory of the throw or maintain a trajectory on a slope and at no additional cost. How often do you see that? Also available as an addition to older Slinger Wingers. https://www.cedarspringsretrievers.com/slinger-features

www.meglynretrievers.com

Mine came today and I was pleasantly surprised that the front legs are now adjustable for height. This will allow you to change the trajectory. They put in a slide out with push button like on aluminum crutches. The build quality is good and I am looking forward to using it tomorrow. I don't think you can call it "set up" getting it ready to use as you simply unfold it. I will be throwing pigeons for the puppy and I'll bet the top hooks will throw them pretty far.

Thank you you for the good info!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Don Smith View Post
    For those who have asked, the winger now comes with adjustable legs to change the trajectory of the throw or maintain a trajectory on a slope and at no additional cost. How often do you see that? Also available as an addition to older Slinger Wingers. https://www.cedarspringsretrievers.com/slinger-features
    Do you know if both the "original" and the "realistic" come this way now? Can't tell from the shop tab which has the telescoping legs.
    Bruce Bachert Bakbay Labradors
    [email protected] www.bakbay.com
    Creedmoor, TX (near Austin)

Quote Originally Posted by bakbay View Post
    Do you know if both the "original" and the "realistic" come this way now? Can't tell from the shop tab which has the telescoping legs.
    Yes, they do. You ccould send a message to Scott just to make sure. I'm really impressed with mine. I've even thought about selling my other 6 wingers and buying all new Slinger Wingers. I will be replacing all my stick men with Cedar Springs stick men and a few retired gunner releases.

www.meglynretrievers.com