Kennel set up thoughts
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kennel set up thoughts

Default Kennel set up thoughts

Ok, I have grown my kennels over the last few years, using the local feed store chain link panels. I started out with 2 and have expanded to 8 over time. When I started I really didn't appreciate the quality of good kennels, but honestly wouldn't have spent the money at the time on them. But now I am looking to upgrade and get mine nicer. Mine are currently in the barn under cover, but I have an old concrete slab on my place, and I am in the process of getting a pole barn built over it. It will be partially for covered storage, but my kennels will fit under it as well. I have gone over every option to make them better, and know that I will have to spend a few thousand dollars to really upgrade them. I have looked at the really nice kennels, and to replace my 8 kennels, it will cost me $8000. I just cannot do that. I have thought about building kennels with wood frame and heavy duty welded wire. I have also thought about options of putting better wire on the frames that I currently have, but I don't know a good way to attach the wire to be extra sturdy. I am still very open to purchasing new, higher quality kennels, but I just can't do the top of the line. If anyone has any suggestions for building my own, making changes to what I currently have, or ones to purchase that won't completely break the bank, I appreciate it. I have 8 kennels and would like to keep at 8, but I am open to dropping to 6 for the time being, until I could pay for an additional 2 kennels. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Tractor Supply has a new brand of kennel that is wire and coated. $300 to $400 per kennel if I remember correctly for 5*10.

Can't speak for all of them but I purchased the welded wire and powder coated retriever brand kennels from tractor supply less than a year ago, they are under a lean to cover and get sprayed out 3 to 4 times a week, so far the powder coating is coming off and the panels are already rusting. I will look elsewhere on my next kennels

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member championretrievers's Avatar

What about whole or partial cinder block walls?
    Tina Perron
    GRHRCH UH DAKOTA'S BIG MAMOU SH "BUD"
    6xGRHRCH UH BARRACUDA BROWN FROM BIG MAMOU TOWN MH MNH **"CUDA"
    6x GRHRCH UH BIG MAMOU'S RUN FOREST RUN MH MNH7**"GUMP"
    HRCH Cuda's Scooby Doo From Big Mamou MH "Scooby"(One Grand pass)
    HRCH Big Mamou's I Yam What I Yam MH"Popeye"
    HRCH Big Mamou's One Eyed Willie MH “Willie"

I’m looking into Tarter welded wire kennels. Anyone have experience with them? I know they make quality cattle fencing and gates.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This QA2
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg NDL, QA2
    This Beer Is Making Me Awesome

Hey Guys and Gals, I would go with Mason, they are the last kennels you will ever buy!!!
    Even if I could only afford 2 right now, I would use the other old panels until you can afford more Mason's.

Just my 2 cents, Good luck
    Gregg Leonard

FC Tremblin Earth's Touch Of Chocolate Reese FC/AFC Land Ahoy X Baypoints Dream QA2
    Hostess City's Seaside Tornado Warning Windy NDL QAA FC Clooney X Seasides Chrome
    Red Squads Fifty Caliber Sniper QA2 NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squads Bad Girlfriend Tinker NDL QA2 FC/AFC Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QA2
    Red Squads Lethal Weapon Riggs ​FC Clooney X FC Reese

Behlen out of columbia , ne. bUY THE WE;DED FENCE PANELS AND THEY ARE HOT-DIPPED GALVANIZED. Accept NO substitutes. 15 years exposed to four seasons. No cover. NO ruat or problems. Do NOT buy powder coatings. Buy once and buy smart. A bargain is no bargain.

If you decide to go with chain link kennels, I highly recommend 9 gauge chain link. You won't get 9 gauge at Tractor Supply or any of the big box stores. I bought some of my kennels, all 9 gauge, in 1971 and they are still in good shape and being used constantly.
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH-30 (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille SH (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart MH (Little Guy)
    Meglyn-Firemark's I am NOT a Lab SH (Goldie)
    Meglyn's Lil Miss Sureshot SH CGCA(Annie)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2014.

www.meglynretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mlassiter View Post
    Can't speak for all of them but I purchased the welded wire and powder coated retriever brand kennels from tractor supply less than a year ago, they are under a lean to cover and get sprayed out 3 to 4 times a week, so far the powder coating is coming off and the panels are already rusting. I will look elsewhere on my next kennels
    Dang I hate to hear that. I have had the Galvanized ones that have done well for about 5 years, which was acceptable for the price. Was sure hoping these new ones were even better.

Quote Originally Posted by golfandhunter View Post
    Hey Guys and Gals, I would go with Mason, they are the last kennels you will ever buy!!!
    Even if I could only afford 2 right now, I would use the other old panels until you can afford more Mason's.

Just my 2 cents, Good luck
    I couldn't agree more. I bought 4 Mason kennels used about 6 years ago for $900. Recently got the opportunity to buy 4 more used ones for $1,000. 1 set is probably 15 years old and the other is about 12 years old. Both sets look like new. No rust. Much better than the TSC ones I used to have. Keep your eye on the classifieds and you can score a great deal on the best kennels out there.