Why does America hate HOUNDS so much?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does America hate HOUNDS so much?

Member jonmyrlebailey@yahoo.com's Avatar

Question Why does America hate HOUNDS so much?

I am very disheartened about hounds in America today.

American Foxhounds are almost virtually extinct. At least my Google search would have me believe that. Finding a pup anywhere in the Lower 48 will be something of the Holy Grail. Walker pups also seem hard to find. Bloodhounds are unattractive. Black and tan coonhounds aren't that pretty. I don't especially like beagles or dachshunds. And Basset hounds are flat-out lazy and homely.

I like the looks of the tall and leggy American Foxhounds and the Treeing Walkers but where in the devil does one find a pup of such breeds anywhere in America? Google searches have not revealed much. They must be a top secret.

Nobody seems to want hounds anymore. Not many people are dedicated to breeding them it seems.

I feel that I would most likely have to travel to the former Confederate States from Idaho out West to find either a foxhound or a Walker puppy. Getting AKC-registerable pups will even be more of an uphill battle. Tricolor is my favorite hound color.

"Let Hercules himself do what he may, the cat will mew and dog will have his day." - William Shakespeare

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

You do know that this is a "RETRIEVER" training forum, right? LOL
    Vicky
    ADMIN

http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

I'm thinking this guy has to much free time and to much happy cabbage to smoke.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Yes, but I see a lot of general HUNTING stuff posted here as well so I felt that to be an invitation to post "whatever hunting" here.

At least I narrowed my thread down to "hunting dogs".

But I will seek out a good HOUND-dedicated forum in the future.
    "Let Hercules himself do what he may, the cat will mew and dog will have his day." - William Shakespeare

That's what you get for thinking.

Easy answer, they trespass private property when released. A free hound knows no boundries.
    AND.... hound runners don't care. At least in this area!

Kind of a big leap to go from a breed being rare to being hated. The fact that certain breeds are uncommon doesn’t mean anybody “hates” them.

I agree with John. Hounds are not that common, that`s all. You can try to find hound owners and ask them where had they buy a puppy.

I love to hear hounds on a trail. But, as has been noted, they have a tendency to run across property lines and disrupt people who are trying to enjoy their land. This creates tension as well as hassle for the hound men. In the south where I live it's a serious issue, some unethical hound hunters have ruined the sport for everyone.

Methinks we got ourselves a fake newshound in the rtf kennel.

Of course, he could always offer incontrovertible evidence to the contrary by asking why Italian truffle hunters hate Lagotto Romagnolos. (Fake news answer: 'Cause they used to be retrievers and are hardmouthed on the precious goods!)

MG