Looking for a chocolate hunting lab
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Looking for a chocolate hunting lab

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    3

    Default Looking for a chocolate hunting lab

    First off, thanks to everyone here who answers questions for new guys like me. I've been reading a good bit here rexwn5and I appreciate the information.

    I currently have a black lab. She doesn't hunt - just a house pet.

    I'm considering another lab. It will be trained for hunting (ducks). As I've been looking at some of the most well known breeders, I've noticed that they don't offer chocolate labs. Is there some reason for this that I should be aware of? I understand that dogs should be bred for other traits above their color.

    Anyone have any advice for finding a chocolate female? The broad things I'm looking for are a good hunter, smaller body, and more of a calm disposition.

    My current lab is very big for a female. I'll admit she's out of shape due to her age and lack of exercise, but her frame is much larger than most females I've been around. I want a smaller one this time around and I'm trying to do my homework.

    I am in middle TN, but am willing to travel.

    Also - last question. My current lab has needed a TPLO surgery on both knees (well before she was out of shape). I hate the thought of having to fork out another 7500-10,000 bucks for two of those again. Is this less likely to occur with reputable breeders?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member duxbac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Look in the classifieds...several nice litters advertised.
    UH HRCH Oakridgertvr Tynan Express "Ty" 2005-2012 RIP GOOD Buddy
    HR Castile Creek Cinnamon Tia "Tia" 2010
    Duxbac Double Expresso "Levi" 2013
    Bryon Samis

  4. #3
    Senior Member Troy Tilleraas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Waverly Iowa
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Private Message sent.
    TNT One of The Boys MH QA2 "Willie"
    MHR TNT Light Up The Sky MH " Haley"
    MHR-1 TNT Firestorm Grace's Isabelle SH "Izzy"
    HR TNT Another Day In Paradise MH "Eden"
    TNT Candlewoods Blonde Bombshell SH "Brinkley"
    TNT Pirate Flag and an Island Girl MH "Ahni"
    TNT Fords Northland Edition MH "Chilli"
    Gone but not forgotten
    HRCH MHR TNT Pirate Lit The Fuse MH QA2 "Cannon"
    GMHR-1 TNT Drifter's Blast of Kyanne " Ky"
    MHR TNT Vermillion Struk it Rich MH "Nugget"

  5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Tilleraas View Post
    Private Message sent.
    Not sure if you've had time to send it, but I didn't receive anything.

    Thanks

  7. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Cody, WY
    Posts
    42

    Default

    I believe you need 10 posts to receive/send PM.

  8. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taeicher View Post
    I believe you need 10 posts to receive/send PM.
    Fair enough! Thanks.

  9. #7
    Senior Member Bryan Parks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Plenty of good chocolate breedings. If you are looking for a field trial bred pup it'll be a bit harder but still out there. There are lots of well bred hunt test pedigree pups.

    If you are in FB join "Everything Retrievers"

    Check the classifieds here.
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

  10. #8
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NW WI
    Posts
    4,684

    Default

    Lots of good chocolate litters out there, with HT and FT titles, health clearances. The classifieds here and on Facebook, Entryexpress.net, Gundogsonline.com, gundogbreeders.com. If you want to stay somewhat local so you can maybe visit, then go on EE and look for HT/FT in your general area, contact people in those clubs, contact reputable pros in your area, get some references and leads on breeders.
    For the financial aspect of CCL repair, I suggest vet insurance as soon as you get pup and make sure it is one that covers CCL repairs, and that you follow the requirements, such as a vet/ortho exam. Like HD and ED, no breeder can 100% avoid producing "affecteds" simply because we don't have the testing ability to do so like we do for some things, like EIC, CNM, PRA, etc. We can screen for things like hip and elbow dysplasia via radiographs but it isn't as simple as a DNA test. Ask the breeder if either sire or dam have had CCL issues, if either have had pups with CCL ruptures, the veracity of the answers will depend on the breeder/stud owner. www.petinsurancereview.com
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs
    Rainmaker's Bella Luna, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Southern Gamble, MH/QA2
    Port Bay's TNT Dynamite, MH/QA2
    Rainmaker's Working Class Payday, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Redhead, MH
    Rainmaker's Early Bird Special, MH
    Rainmaker's Pink Is The New Red, MH

  11. #9
    Senior Member Hunt'EmUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyJ05 View Post
    I'm considering another lab. It will be trained for hunting (ducks). As I've been looking at some of the most well known breeders, I've noticed that they don't offer chocolate labs. Is there some reason for this that I should be aware of? I understand that dogs should be bred for other traits above their color. ?
    I guess I would have to ask who these well known breeders are, if they are of the FT set, most likely the dogs will be black. If your looking for Chocolate there's usually a different set of breeders. UKC HRC dogs seem to have a bunch of chocolate breeders. In you neck of the woods, might look into Gator Points, FC AFC Lousiana Wingmagic (Roux) offspring. FC AFC WBF Man on the Stand. The HRC has another ROUX (don't know his registered name); but he has a bunch of titled offspring as well. Or try https://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/H...uppyfinder.asp Just search your area and chocolate; I looked up chocolate there are many litters listed.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 12-10-2018 at 12:33 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

    GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

  12. #10
    Senior Member Bryan Parks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyJ05 View Post
    I'm considering another lab. It will be trained for hunting (ducks). As I've been looking at some of the most well known breeders, I've noticed that they don't offer chocolate labs. Is there some reason for this that I should be aware of? I understand that dogs should be bred for other traits above their color. ?
    I guess I would have to ask who these well known breeders are, if they are of the FT set, most likely the dogs will be black. If your looking for Chocolate there's usually a different set of breeders. UKC HRC dogs seem to have a bunch of chocolate breeders. In you neck of the woods, might look into Gator Points, FC AFC Lousiana Wingmagic (Roux) offspring. FC AFC WBF Man on the Stand. The HRC has another ROUX (don't know his registered name); but he has a bunch of titled offspring as well. Or try https://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/H...uppyfinder.asp Just search your area and chocolate; I looked up chocolate there are many litters listed.
    3x GRHRCH UH Dakota Cajun Roux MH
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •