AI breeding questions/concerns
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AI breeding questions/concerns

Default AI breeding questions/concerns

We’ve been waiting for 2 yrs for this upcoming breeding and go figure she comes in while I’m out of the country for 4 wks. I believe all things have been taken care of as getting her to the vet (lee Payne in Oxford) and straw has been taken care what else do I need to take care of?
    Also, the only other time I’ve done ai was with my other cosmo bitch and we tried twice with no luck. This will be zee’s 3rd litter other 2 natural breedings what should I expect with this one compared to the others?

Thanks
    "Proud Member of Black Labs Matter Movement"

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like you're experienced, so forgive me if you already know this, but in addition to progesterone testing, we've also started doing LH surge.
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH-30 (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille SH (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart MH (Little Guy)
    Meglyn-Firemark's I am NOT a Lab SH (Goldie)
    Meglyn's Lil Miss Sureshot SH CGCA(Annie)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2014.

www.meglynretrievers.com

Curious as to why you do an LH surge as my Repro vets don't? We are more interested in reaching a certain range of progesterone numbers. I like 20-24 on frozen. I've done many and only 1 miss and I think she reabsorbed.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    Curious as to why you do an LH surge as my Repro vets don't? We are more interested in reaching a certain range of progesterone numbers. I like 20-24 on frozen. I've done many and only 1 miss and I think she reabsorbed.
    Because what we have been told, LH surge is a more accurate prediction of ovulation. I can tell you this: My wife raises very high quality Golden retrievers (she's had her line since 1978. One of her males is a Bronze Grand Champion and was the #1 Owner Handled Golden retriever in the country. - he hasn't been shown as much recently and is now #6, I think). She tried to breed that dog's sister 3 times (different studs), all side-by-side AI and every breeding failed. Finally, she did LH surge in addition to progesterone and the LH surge indicated that she ovulates much earlier than normal (she ovulates at 1.5 progesterone). She got pregnant that time (this past spring) and whelped a lovely litter. Now, having said that, I've bred my Annie (Meglyn's Lil Miss Sureshot SH), twice in the last year. First was two transcervicals, 2 days apart (breed, skip a day, breed) with fresh-chilled, to Tubb. Progesterone only. Breeding failed. In October, I bred her to Flex, surgical, frozen. Progesterone and LH surge. Breeding still failed. I'm at my wits end. Don't know why it failed. Her uterus and ovaries are healthy. I'm going to try again. I'm also going to do a consult with Hutch (Robert Hutchinson D.V.M.) and may switch to him (I used to use him as a repro vet. He's the gold standard. I switched to my wife's repro vet, but I've been disappointed. I'm not saying it's his fault. All I know at this point is I had our animal communicator "talk" to Annie a couple of weeks ago after I learned of the failed breeding and she said that Annie told her she wants puppies, but the communicator, who is also a Reike Master, said her second chakra is too narrow and she needs accupuncture. Hey, any harbor in a storm.
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH-30 (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille SH (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart MH (Little Guy)
    Meglyn-Firemark's I am NOT a Lab SH (Goldie)
    Meglyn's Lil Miss Sureshot SH CGCA(Annie)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2014.

www.meglynretrievers.com

I know they’re doing progesterone not sure what else.

Switch to Hutch and leave them there. My Repro follows what Hutch does. I never do AI side by side anymore. I had someone come here and did it with my stud and I haven't heard if it took but I bet not. They do fresh semen TUI 2 days in a row and frozen day 3 or 4 depending on the progesterone. If I don't believe the inhouse progesterone I have them send the sample to a reference lab. It is not impossible for the machine to be off. As a Med Tech we ran more controls than they are told to do, at least daily. They are told only to do it on the kit when the box is opened.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Brett, you are in good hands with Lee. I have never missed. He does the progesterone in house now.
    Good luck.
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

Lee has taken care of Several of my dogs I just haven’t done an ai since the double fail I had trying about 7 years ago. I’ve put off doing this breeding until now so I’m super pumped.

I just do progesterone. Test every couple days until numbers start to climb. She should ovulate 36 hours after reaching 2.2, have to have a test below 5 and a test above 5 to confirm ovulation, and then you're done. No point in continuing to spend money after you know she's ovulated although there are still some vets who like to test. Eggs take 2 days to be ready to fertilize so breed with fresh or chilled 48 hours after ovulation and frozen 48-72 hours after. Because progesterone doubles daily, 48 hours is about a 20...but again, not really any point to testing once you know ovulation happened.
    ​~Your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Claire DVM
    Lijah UDX OM1 GO VER RE OA NAJ ACT2 TDI CGC ASCA-CD (15 OTCH pts, 2/3 OAJ, 10 T2B pts)
    Tara UD GO VER RA SH MX AXJ ACT1 TKI CGC (4/10 MXJ, 3 QQ, 25 T2B pts, 114 MACH pts)
    Holly CD SH OJP OAP CGC
    Delta (in training)
    Rush TKN CGC (puppy)

Brie CD CGC
    Chivas CD TKN (2/3 NAP, 2/3 NJP)
    Boaz JH CD CGC (2003-2012)
    Zen UD GO VER JH (2 SH passes) (2011-2016)
    http://clairedvm.com
    www.facebook.com/kolfyre

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Perry View Post
    Brett, you are in good hands with Lee. I have never missed. He does the progesterone in house now.
    Good luck.
    MP
    AGREED!
    Just leave it to Lee!
    Among others, he did a surgical AI for our Jake x Lucy breeding and we ended up with great results.
    Andy