knockout punch II
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: knockout punch II

Default knockout punch II

Getting a new pup bred by Joe, curious if anyone has experience with Joe pups. Or if anyone has any input on Joe himself. Just putting some feelers out, more out of curiosity, than anything.

I have made contact with Mr and Mrs Cope and am awaiting a response from them.
    Last edited by Tobias; 02-01-2019 at 07:12 AM.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Joe is very well balanced, highly trainable, very honest in the water, plenty of momentum, and runs straight naturally. He is a very nice dog who does not require excessive maintenance.

thank you Ed!
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I have watched Joe run a lot. He is a very nice dog!
    David Zalunardo

FC AFC Parriette's Abby Gale - 2014 NARC Finalist
    Parriette's Maxi Mag - up and comer (I hope)

"If you think you can or you think you can't, you are right"

Did you get that Joe pup?

Anyone else have experience with Joe pups?
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Parks View Post
    Did you get that Joe pup?

Anyone else have experience with Joe pups?

Yep - She is really a fun pup and love her physical structure. Just 5 months old. Started formal ob a couple of weeks ago and hold as well. Doing quite well. I would not classify her as soft (at all) Has just enough of an 'independent' streak to make me think she will have some toughness about her when we get into more serious training .. Have not done a lot of marking with her yet (all short under 50 yd, most hand thrown), but she has plenty of 'go'. She did do 2 water marks at 100 yd the other day. Never hesitated at getting in 'big water'.

PM sent

I just bred my female MH to Joe. I’m hoping for some good pups. Hopefully the breeding took. Very excited.
    Heath

Just wanted to update on Keena - near 7mo old Joe pup......

flew through hold training - flew through FF in 2 (10 days) weeks - probably could have been done in 7, but I am not a fan of rushing through and don't think a week is a enough time to develop the momentum required..., and what a pleasure to work with her. She has all the bottom I could hope for and the attitude to match. When I put my dogs through FF there is a day or two at the end when I restrain them 2 or 3 times in a session from being able to get the bumper immediately - I want them to work through that restraint.. get the bumper no matter what is happening to them. I do the same in walking fetch.....Keena's attitude was phenomenal. Actually, as I was telling someone else - sometimes the ff sessions were more about proofing sit than 'fetch'. LOL

CCing started after FF - working on the 'here' command using Evan Graham's method (which I haven't used for a long time, but felt it would fit Keena's temperament well). Again - working through the pressure with a phenomenal attitude. Just really works hard and always happy happy happy.

As far as drive goes - well... it isn't going to be an issue, that is for sure. LOL..... Marking well to 125 yd and smart about hunts, if she has them. Ran a 150 yd water mark a few days ago - all swimming.... needed help getting there as she got distracted by a fish that jumped just off line, LOL....

Of course, there is all the possibility some (or even all) of this comes from her bitch lines... so who knows... sire and dam together made a fine pup, in this case. Don't know how her siblings are doing, but I don't think I would trade her, at this time. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Just wanted to update on Keena - near 7mo old Joe pup......

flew through hold training - flew through FF in 2 (10 days) weeks - probably could have been done in 7, but I am not a fan of rushing through and don't think a week is a enough time to develop the momentum required..., and what a pleasure to work with her. She has all the bottom I could hope for and the attitude to match. When I put my dogs through FF there is a day or two at the end when I restrain them 2 or 3 times in a session from being able to get the bumper immediately - I want them to work through that restraint.. get the bumper no matter what is happening to them. I do the same in walking fetch.....Keena's attitude was phenomenal. Actually, as I was telling someone else - sometimes the ff sessions were more about proofing sit than 'fetch'. LOL

CCing started after FF - working on the 'here' command using Evan Graham's method (which I haven't used for a long time, but felt it would fit Keena's temperament well). Again - working through the pressure with a phenomenal attitude. Just really works hard and always happy happy happy.

As far as drive goes - well... it isn't going to be an issue, that is for sure. LOL..... Marking well to 125 yd and smart about hunts, if she has them. Ran a 150 yd water mark a few days ago - all swimming.... needed help getting there as she got distracted by a fish that jumped just off line, LOL....

Of course, there is all the possibility some (or even all) of this comes from her bitch lines... so who knows... sire and dam together made a fine pup, in this case. Don't know how her siblings are doing, but I don't think I would trade her, at this time. LOL
    How would you compare Keena to your older British pup?

Quote Originally Posted by birddogn_tc View Post
    How would you compare Keena to your older British pup?
    different... I don't think I can really compare the two in a way that would say - this is a UK dog and this is a US dog.... I think Toby has a more team player attitude overall - from a training perspective he was kind of like pushing the 'easy button' during basics, but when it comes to yard work he would have rather been somewhere else and it showed.. he did the work..but it wasn't with the enthusiasm that Keena has .... still, he handled pressure of collar and US training regimen well... Was running upper level hunt test setups by the time he was 2 yrs old...Where he lacks drive for what he considers boring training he makes up in hunt desire - Toby is an insanely driven dog when it comes to hunting or birds and I suspect would make a phenomenal pheasant guide dog... A few weeks ago we put young chickens in the yard - in a chicken wire pen... when he saw them, he literally ran through the chicken wire to get to them... (where it was seamed with two levels of wire). He was so surprised by the 'sudden' stop and roll over after going through the wire that he has never since tried to get to the chickens and I can leave them out in the yard with him loose... I would not do that with either Keena or Smarty (also US FT line). LOL... Esp not Keena, hahahaha.

I think if I continued training him, he could compete in Q's no problem.. He would never be able to run an am or open as he does not have the memory for 4 marks at those distances.. nor is he that good of a marking dog... (more area marker) and while he is very honest on water, he has a hard time with water triples that involve tight marks.... But then that might just be a training thing.... He can swim under water too LOL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T7MkIrEbbk

Would I get another UK dog... yep...the right lines/breeding, absolutely...