Breeding my female - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Breeding my female

If you're doing even a loose line breeding on Bubba (or any of the other "old" ones for that matter), I'd strongly urge you to get PRA done on your female.

Stud fee very often has nothing to do with puppy price.

QAA does not double the puppy price. I wish.

What determines puppy price for a particular litter involves about as many factors as there are people with opinions. One may have the market to get 2K while someone else maybe can't sell the same breeding for 1K.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs
    Rainmaker's Bella Luna, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Southern Gamble, MH/QA2
    Port Bay's TNT Dynamite, MH/QA2
    Rainmaker's Working Class Payday, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Redhead, MH
    Rainmaker's Early Bird Special, MH
    Rainmaker's Pink Is The New Red, MH

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenpoacher View Post
    Why would QAA make the price twice as much as MH?
    My Opinion is it won't, titles do help but the lines are more important. Certain pedigrees can sale just as high or higher without titles. This dogs pedigree is quite good; many noteworthy dogs (if you're into yellow); in addition all the females in the pedigree have upper titles including Female FC AFCs. I doubt an additional MH or QAA would add much to puppy price. QAA is a strange distinction, it can be a very wide range of Dog. I don't see QAA alone adding significant $ to breeding prices. Unless the dog out actively campaigning; has upper level placements, upper level points, knocking on the door for AFC-FC. Then it might be more about a dog being out there and people watching her; knowing her rather, and her record rather than the QAA distinction. Heck it could also be more about what her siblings or any of her previous puppies are doing at the time.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

For myself QAA adds plenty of value over a MH as a puppy buyer. However depending the pedigree it can all become irrelevant.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I really like it when the line," I hunt more then I trial that is why I don't have more titles on her!" I wish it was that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post
    How is that a rule of thumb? I assume Bubba straws are at least 3000+. No way a litter from an HRCH SH would sell for 3000 unless the bitch has produced title dogs in a previous litter. Like mentioned above, FC/AFC x HRCH SH first litter is 1000-1200 maybe 1500. Very unlikely you will make money from your first breeding. Would be cheaper to buy the puppy you want.
    As a starting point, yes. Have you paid attention to how many MH bred to titled studs are in the 2-2500 range? It is the biggest reason why FC x FC puppies are in the 4 range or up.

A bitch bred to a deceased producer like Bubba I believe the puppy price certainly can start at the Stud fee.

You breed your MH to Lean Mac you starting at 1500?
    ROCK CHALK

Plenty of MH bred to FC AFC going for way less than 2-2500 too.
    Rainmaker's Redhead, MH

FC x MH can be had all day for $1000-$1500. Last several FC x QAA litters live seen went for $2500-$3000.

Just reporting what I see.
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

Are you saying Bubba is a PRA carrier? Bubbas’s stud fee is way less than what it should be!

Quote Originally Posted by rrwilly View Post
    Are you saying Bubba is a PRA carrier? Bubbas’s stud fee is way less than what it should be!
    I never said Bubba was PRA carrier. But there is PRA popping up in field-bred Labs as more and more are being tested for PRA. It would behoove anyone using semen from dogs pre-testing days to make sure their female is clear of everything they can, before breeding to unknowns at best. Some PRA carriers I know have a common thread going to some very popular FT dogs/bitches, and no, don't bother pm-ing me for names. I won't buy anything from anyone without at least one of the parents of a litter being tested clear of EIC/CNM/PRA/RD/OSD, SD, and maybe CMS if I suspect the pedigree. As cheap and easy as it is to test, no excuses not to.
    Rainmaker's Redhead, MH

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rrwilly View Post
    I never said Bubba was PRA carrier. But there is PRA popping up in field-bred Labs as more and more are being tested for PRA. It would behoove anyone using
    semen from dogs pre-testing days to make sure their female is clear of everything they can, before breeding to unknowns at best.
    Some PRA carriers I know have a common thread going to some very popular FT dogs/bitches, and no, don't bother pm-ing me for names. I won't buy anything from anyone without at least one of the parents of a litter being tested clear of EIC/CNM/PRA/RD/OSD, SD, and maybe CMS if I suspect the pedigree. As cheap and easy as it is to test, no excuses not to.
    Thanks Kim I know you know way more than most and I appreciate any of your advice! There is definitely a lot of secrets in this game and it is understandable, who wants to spend a couple hundred thousand on a dog to get an FC to have it never get bred and make a little money back. I know one of the dogs you are referring to that is a RD/OSD and CMS carrier that had his fair share of breedings. Someday it will all be out in the open but today is not the day!