Farm bankruptcies
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farm bankruptcies

Default Farm bankruptcies

A couple of months ago, I posted about American farmers whose backs were against the wall and in danger of going under. MANY on here pooh-poohed it even though I provided data to the contrary. Some even said I had no knowledge or understanding of farming. At the time, I bit my tongue and let it go.

I do have first hand knowledge of farming, having worked on farms in my youth and having spent all my adult life in close association with many Dairy and grain farmers who were generous and gracious enough to let me hunt their properties in 4 states and 2 Canadian provinces over those 45+ years. They were, without exception, the most humble, kindest and proud people I have ever met. None were looking for handouts, Heck, they didn't even want money from me for the privilege I was asking for. In fact, most invited me into their homes for conversation and a meal.

And now this. https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...ing/ar-BBTfj7M
    This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Many on here lament the growth of Agribusiness and what it means to the hunters, fishermen and environment. As these small farms go under, who do you think gains more control of agriculture?

Food for thought and a topic to discuss. -Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    A couple of months ago, I posted about American farmers whose backs were against the wall and in danger of going under. MANY on here pooh-poohed it even though I provided data to the contrary. Some even said I had no knowledge or understanding of farming. At the time, I bit my tongue and let it go.

I do have first hand knowledge of farming, having worked on farms in my youth and having spent all my adult life in close association with many Dairy and grain farmers who were generous and gracious enough to let me hunt their properties in 4 states and 2 Canadian provinces over those 45+ years. They were, without exception, the most humble, kindest and proud people I have ever met. None were looking for handouts, Heck, they didn't even want money from me for the privilege I was asking for. In fact, most invited me into their homes for conversation and a meal.

Many on here lament the growth of Agribusiness and what it means to the hunters, fishermen and environment. As these small farms go under, who do you think gains more control of agriculture?

Welcome to Calli.

Vary few independents left. There are some but they are vary small, family run and operated.

My suggestion is that they take the lease. They can live there, but have no control.

Sorry.

I grew up on a farm. It's much of what I knew when I ventured into the outside world.
    My grandfather & grandmother, legal immigrants from Belgium were here because as
    the 2nd son he stood to inherit nothing when his parents died. He got off the boat at
    Ellis island with a 2nd grade education & $3.87 in his pocket. He talked of picking celery
    in NY. When his gloves wore out in front he put them on the opposite hands & wore the
    back side out also. He told me that if he had known he was going to live so long he
    would have owned 1/2 the county because people were willing to sell their farms for
    travelling money during the Dust Bowl. He had the foresight when banks started going
    under to place the money he had saved in government bonds. We had a huge garden
    & canned everything using egg money to buy those things deemed necessary to eat.
    He also paid cash for everything & he knew more about animal husbandry than most
    of todays vets.

But I'll ask you, what can be done to eliminate bankruptcies? Remember a farm is a
    business & like any other business should be allowed to go under if not properly run.
    & I do not believe having to borrow money to put in your next crop when you have been
    at it for years is any indication of astute management, especially after you have been
    doing it for years.

Rules of thumb - 1) a garden set up to supplement year around, 2) have sidelines, milk
    check or chickens to pay the regular bills, 3) save your major income source to cover
    the expenses of raising same & for future investment.

Staying ahead in the farming business is not a plant the crop & harvest it with everyone
    living happily thereafter. It's hard work & requires thought!

Let's hear from you Paul!

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Skills can be taught. Character is either there or it's not!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

It's sad family farms are failing. Lots of reasons.
    One thing I wish was never allowed to happen is big agra business like Monsanto taking over "seeds" and claiming them as their own.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- 2016)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Eliminating farm bankruptcies is not possible. There have always been farm bankruptcies.

The fact that they are increasing at an increasing rate due to an ill conceived Governmental policy is unacceptable. The people championing this policy have no skin in the game.

"Let them eat cake" is not an acceptable response when so many farms are failing.

Did you even read the link I provided?

"More than half of U.S. farm households lost money farming in recent years, according to the USDA, which estimated that median farm income for U.S. farm households was negative $1,548 in 2018. Farm incomes have slid despite record productivity on American farms, because oversupply drives down commodity prices."
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Eliminating farm bankruptcies is not possible. There have always been farm bankruptcies.

The fact that they are increasing at an increasing rate due to an ill conceived Governmental policy is unacceptable. The people championing this policy have no skin in the game.

"Let them eat cake" is not an acceptable response when so many farms are failing.

Did you even read the link I provided?

"More than half of U.S. farm households lost money farming in recent years, according to the USDA, which estimated that median farm income for U.S. farm households was negative $1,548 in 2018. Farm incomes have slid despite record productivity on American farms, because oversupply drives down commodity prices."
    I did read the link!

I also subscribe to 2 farm magazines & 2 farm newspapers, have a son/GS in the value added dairy business.
    We went to look at a working dairy farm last Sunday, they need more room. I'm not brought along as window
    dressing.

But if you'd like to argue, I can sure do that, the big difference is I'll probably have more facts than you do!
    & a lot less sympathy. Sympathy don't feed the livestock, sound management does. They are the employees!

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Skills can be taught. Character is either there or it's not!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post

But if you'd like to argue, I can sure do that, the big difference is I'll probably have more facts than you do! s!
    Haha!!
    No JD, it shows how little interest I have in what happens in NM to do the courtesy*
    of fact checking. Johnson got what, 2% of the vote

Yeah your grasp and respect for facts is something else

Having Hutterite Colonies as major customers it is amazing to me how self sufficient they are. They do so many different things on their farms/properties, from having their own schools, fire department, church, AG, livestock (hogs, beef and a lot of Turkey) then add on they Fab and Mfg. product for the consumer. They truly are remarkable. Can't hardly understand a word that comes out of their mouth on the phone, LOL, but get in front of them and all is good. They have, even the youngest, the thickest Bavarian/German accent. Very stingy but also very loyal.
    ROCK CHALK

nogie1717 #15 X 2. I can back you up on Monsanto'a predatory farming practices, Seen it. Farmers also have a "herd" tendency when it comes to marketing and markets that leads to over-supply duplication. Marvin's mixed farm prescription is old as the hills but prevents rampant duplication...soy/corn/etc..For instance European drought this year has elevated US prices for potatoes and grains. Smart farmers took advantage. African swine flu has crashed European hog production. The Chinese do NOT own it all.Smart farmers belong to NFOs and diversify their offerings, Many other non-farming firms learned that the hard way. A good/great single customer can come to own you.

I have a many friends that farm and many more that used to. Some went broke, some rent out their ground and the ones that still farm got bigger and are business minded. A few decades ago there were many more small farms, most run by good, hard working people with little or no business sense.
    Of course the government helped with countless programs to save the small farmer, all of which helped those best at farming the system.
    "Tigerfan is more victim than villain....but then, you already knew that." blind ambition