Read the Rule Book
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Read the Rule Book

Default Read the Rule Book

If you're going to play in a sport, it is important that you read the Rules for that sport.

I am amazed - and disappointed - at how many times seasoned competitors (and judges) ask me what the Rule Book says.

Is an honor required in the Qualifying? (Yes)
    Can you honor a dog running a blind? (No)

Please read the Rule Book. Here is a link, you can download the Rule Book to your phone and have it with you when you need it

http://images.akc.org/pdf/rulebooks/RFTRET.pdf
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)
    FC/AFC Freeridin Miss Kitty (2017 High Point Yellow Lab Bitch)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Well said! I've got the rules on my phone.
    HRCH Meglyn's Maramaxx Daisycutter MH-30 (Daisy)
    SHR Meglyn's Eye on the Prize JH (Molly)
    Meglyn's Timbrhuntn ValleyGirl (Lilly)
    Meglyn's Prime Time to Leave Me Lucille SH (Lucy)
    Meglyn's Lionheart MH (Little Guy)
    Meglyn-Firemark's I am NOT a Lab SH (Goldie)
    Meglyn's Lil Miss Sureshot SH CGCA(Annie)
    In memory of Chevy, HR Meglyn's Silverado Slim SH, July 20, 2006, HR Meglyn's Blue Ridge Belle MH, July 19, 2008 and HRCH Meglyn's Honest Abe MH, Aug 9, 2014.

www.meglynretrievers.com

Read the letter to the editor in Retriever News latest edition by Ken Thorson. Do you think he hits the nail on the head? The one thing he does not mention is the number of owners competing with more and more dogs in both the Amateur and Open. Recently an owner had 16 dogs entered in an open. Opinions?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Running View Post
    Recently an owner had 16 dogs entered in an open. Opinions?
    I am glad I don’t have to write a check for those entries every week. That is close to my one dog (for now) budget for one year.

Was guilty of this last weekend in an upland hunt. Passed day 1 but failed day 2 due to not knowing the rules. MY BAD!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    If you're going to play in a sport, it is important that you read the Rules for that sport.

I am amazed - and disappointed - at how many times seasoned competitors (and judges) ask me what the Rule Book says.

Is an honor required in the Qualifying? (Yes)
    Can you honor a dog running a blind? (No)

Please read the Rule Book. Here is a link, you can download the Rule Book to your phone and have it with you when you need it

http://images.akc.org/pdf/rulebooks/RFTRET.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Running View Post
    Read the letter to the editor in Retriever News latest edition by Ken Thorson. Do you think he hits the nail on the head? The one thing he does not mention is the number of owners competing with more and more dogs in both the Amateur and Open. Recently an owner had 16 dogs entered in an open. Opinions?

I was in favor of a limit on the number of dogs a handler could run in the Amateur - but, very few others were and so proposed limits on dogs in the Amateur were rejected several years ago.

Home of:

I was in favor of a limit on the number of dogs a handler could run in the Amateur - but, very few others were and so proposed limits on dogs in the Amateur were rejected several years ago.
    There are legitimate arguments on both sides of this issue and can present specific problems for the hosting club and requires cooperation from the handler with multiple dogs especially involving no bird situations, honoring and by dog flyers and there has been some improvement noticed lately in that regard personally. And I’m referring to mainly the Amateur.
    Last edited by Ken Barton; 06-06-2019 at 06:27 AM.

I am personally opposed to someone running more than three dogs in the Amateur. I don’t care about limits in the Open. I would like to have a mechanism for clubs that wanted to establish limits to do so. If a club didn’t care, no limits. If a club did care,limits.

There was a recent trial where a handler with 5 dogs, ran one then left for the Open. ALL the dogs except this handlers dogs had run. The judges waited an hour. The judges wanted to put the handler on the clock. The club refused saying they made accommodations because of the entry fees they received from the handler.

Home of:

I am personally opposed to someone running more than three dogs in the Amateur. I don’t care about limits in the Open. I would like to have a mechanism for clubs that wanted to establish limits to do so. If a club didn’t care, no limits. If a club did care,limits.

There was a recent trial where a handler with 5 dogs, ran one then left for the Open. ALL the dogs except this handlers dogs had run. The judges waited an hour. The judges wanted to put the handler on the clock. The club refused saying they made accommodations because of the entry fees they received from the handler.
    Total crap and shame on the club. EVERY person entered must be treated the same.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Was that handler from Mississippi