RTF Environment
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RTF Environment

Default RTF Environment

I haven't been on here much in many years, most of that due to the clicks and attitudes and bashing that developed in certain circles. I miss reading some good discussions in here, but it wasn't worth the counter productive and often rude banter that occurred when people disagreed. The dog game environment is one of needed thick skin, but it shouldn't be hurtful or a popularity contest.

I've been creeping here and there since Chris Atkinson called me a few months ago and we caught up about the old days. Chris judged the first NAHRA test I ever ran, and it was great to speak to him! Made me think of the evolution of this forum and the great info it produced for new and old alike, but it also made me think of the attitudes people had based on what organization they were a part of and the pedigree of their dog. (generalizing there were a lot more reasons for attitudes)

I know i have 2 strikes against me going in LOL.... I run NAHRA and I have UK bred dogs. (meant to be a joke)

I suppose I'm looking to test the waters and see if things have changed, really hoping they have....
    Castle Heights Gundogs
    www.castleheightsgundogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/chgundogs/

Mossy Oak Pro-Staff
    Sportdog Field Staff

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Combs View Post
    I haven't been on here much in many years, most of that due to the clicks and attitudes and bashing that developed in certain circles. I miss reading some good discussions in here, but it wasn't worth the counter productive and often rude banter that occurred when people disagreed. The dog game environment is one of needed thick skin, but it shouldn't be hurtful or a popularity contest.

I've been creeping here and there since Chris Atkinson called me a few months ago and we caught up about the old days. Chris judged the first NAHRA test I ever ran, and it was great to speak to him! Made me think of the evolution of this forum and the great info it produced for new and old alike, but it also made me think of the attitudes people had based on what organization they were a part of and the pedigree of their dog. (generalizing there were a lot more reasons for attitudes)

I know i have 2 strikes against me going in LOL.... I run NAHRA and I have UK bred dogs. (meant to be a joke)

I suppose I'm looking to test the waters and see if things have changed, really hoping they have....
    It has changed to become a predominantly hunt test and rookie crowd. Very few veterans and few field trial people remain but people are people and combativeness is still alive and well. Civility isn’t dead but it is chronically ill.

Nice to see you back, even if your dog is a funny color . Nothing stays the same, but you can still find a few peanuts.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

There are some very knowledgeable people here, many of them don't post much. I have received interesting and helpful PM's from some of them.
    A noisy few like to parse every post to find something to argue, take offense to or simply have a fit about. My posts rarely disappoint them.
    If you are offended by what is said, ask yourself, is it because it was true?

Agree with Dr Ed. Rookie crowd hasn't done much but they like to think they have, and will be happy to answer questions and google them if they have to, thinking they are impressing others.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

There is also the "Experienced" crowd who think their opinion is the only one that matters. They are stuck in their ways and closed minded to anything contrary to their own way of doing things.

They believe that unless you've put a FC on a dog you should stay out of the way and shut your mouth.

It is a pretty sad way to be and detrimental to new people wanting to come here and just talk dogs because they have passion for it.

Every "rookie" I've seen post here seem to be humble and willing to learn. They may offer up an opinion or even advise at times. If its wrong let them know but if it's valid why tell them to be quiet?
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Combs View Post
    ... suppose I'm looking to test the waters and see if things have changed, really hoping they have....
    Sure has changed for me since we last trained/communicated - all Labs now and even got a black dog in the queue.

Of course, I could have 1,000 of 'em - black, yellow and chocolate - and probably never run across a Lab as striking and structurally sound as your Tucker.

All best, Dave, and please give the good burghers at Ameriland a rousing "Cheers!" from their old Sussex bloke next time you're through there,

MG

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Parks View Post
    There is also the "Experienced" crowd who think their opinion is the only one that matters. They are stuck in their ways and closed minded to anything contrary to their own way of doing things.

They believe that unless you've put a FC on a dog you should stay out of the way and shut your mouth.

It is a pretty sad way to be and detrimental to new people wanting to come here and just talk dogs because they have passion for it.

Every "rookie" I've seen post here seem to be humble and willing to learn. They may offer up an opinion or even advise at times. If its wrong let them know but if it's valid why tell them to be quiet?
    Humble, willing to learn? Yea some but most these days come on here ask a question and if its not what they want to hear they get very defensive. And give me the "Experienced" crowd any day over the new trainer that thinks he/she has reinvented the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Parks View Post

Humble, willing to learn? Yea some but most these days come on here ask a question and if its not what they want to hear they get very defensive. And give me the "Experienced" crowd any day over the new trainer that thinks he/she has reinvented the wheel.
    No doubt, I don't defend those with thin skin just looking for a pat on the back.

I'm not talking about them. There are definitely some of those but I feel the majority are the ones who just want to learn.

Hard to quantify really which is more prevalent.

I've seen newbies get butt hurt at HTs when they fail. Recently saw a guy get fighting mad because a judge suggested he attend a handlers seminar.

I've been on the failing side myself but my reaction has always been to get out and train harder. I've never been one to place blame.

I just get tired of this mentality that unless you've achieved a certain level in competition you have no right to offer advice or give an opinion.

This is a free, open, dog training internet forum.
    Last edited by Bryan Parks; 04-04-2019 at 01:25 PM.
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

I don't find generalizations very useful. Find a thread where "experienced" people picked on a newbie and we can look at it.

Is everyone entitled to an opinion? Sure
    Does each opinion have equal merit? Doubtful

Ted
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)
    FC/AFC Freeridin Miss Kitty (2017 High Point Yellow Lab Bitch)

www.freeridinretrievers.com