Spinning
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Spinning

Default Spinning

A recent post about problems with spinning and popping on TT caught my attention as i remember experiencing spinning with a dog years back. I remember getting a reaction similar to this one from Dr. Aycock, (I hope you dont mind me copying).

“Spinning is a horrible mess that requires understanding the genesis of the problem and skill and perfect timing to correct. If the timing is off it can make the spinning much worse. I would strongly urge you to seek a qualified experienced trainer to help you solve the problem before you launch yourself into uncharted territory trying to fix it yourself.“

Why is spinning considered so much worse and harder to deal with than other issues? I have read about unwinding the spin, but it seems this problem often shows up as the dog is learning elementary handling skills and i don’t see how you would have the tools at this stage to stop and cast the right direction quickly enough to be effective if the dog hasn’t learned this yet.

I did get through the problem before, but largely by ignoring it and simplifying. I would really appreciate a serious discussion of the causes and solutions. Is it an inheritable trait, or always handler caused? Is the use of a Pro the only answer?
    Carol Howey
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    (6/2/05 - 6/12/17) The finest animal I'll ever know.
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, SH
    New kid: Howey Do Dat? July 14, 2019 Prize x Katie
    http://newhoperetrievers.com/Carol/_carolBlog/

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

When I first started learning to handle , I watched the dogs head , shoulder or looked for a dip or slowing down at that point hand went up and commanded "back" if the dog got half way on the spin you got beat. Timing is very important !

The position, spot or action a dog is engaged in immediately preceding an adversive stimulus is what the dog thinks caused the adversive stimulus.

Conversely, the dog thinks that whatever it is doing when the adverse stimulus stops is what caused it to stop.

Some people may argue that a dog is smarter than that.

I say sometimes I over estimate the dog and sometimes I under estimate the dog. But .... to whatever degree it is true or not .... it is true to a degree and it can not be ignored because it is true. I know that it is true even though I don’t believe it all of the time.

I guess one could argue that an individual dog is jumpy and has an innate desire to spin. One could also argue that innateness could be used to either an advantage or detriment.

I guess one has to wonder how behaviors begin. Perhaps, a high energy dog that is couped up in a crate develops different peculiar behaviors than one with a more diverse stimulating environment with all other things being equal. Nature or nurture? I wonder why more dog’s aren’t wacky not less.

It is all a lot of speculation, but I believe in the stimulus thing. Really, what else is there to consider other than blaming a dog? I ask no one in particular because I would like to know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I thought of something else to consider. Perhaps if the dog is spinning, it has learned to do it the wrong way and you never get get a second chance to get it right the first time if it is not the first time.

Perhaps it is hard to fix solely for that reason. Really, what else could it be other than the dog could be wacky and doesn’t have a foundation.

Maybe it is a panic response and purely fight or flight. Some dogs I have heard even do the fight thing where they come back and attack someone.

It could be as simple as bad collar conditioning.