Suggestions for improving whistle sit...
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for improving whistle sit...

Default Suggestions for improving whistle sit...

Hi everyone. I have a 15 month old, high drive male out of Deets. Everything he does is at top speed except for putting his arse on the ground when he hears the whistle. We are in the midst of T work. I am very happy with his casting and left/right backs, but not happy with his whistle sits. He takes his sweet time. I have gone back to doing work on a leash and a rope which he does just fine, but when he is off the lead there is a lot of room for improvement. I should also add that I am using pressure, and he knows damn well what he is supposed to do when he hears that whistle.

I am working with my first pup so my ears are wide open for strategies / drills/ suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Last edited by Big Chief; 05-28-2019 at 04:20 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Is it just slow, or is it loopy?
    HRCH Laney's Chocolate Roux MH QAA
    HRCH Full Steam Coaltrain RIP

To be quite honest with you, I am not certain what you mean by "loopy". I would say slow.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

A lupus it means that he is not sitting straight and sitting on the line that he was running on he Loops either to the right or the left as he's sitting.

If he understands what the whistle means as you say he does then you're not using a sufficient amount of pressure.
    At 15 months old I'd be very sure that you know he understands.
    If he does and if he understands pressure raise the ante until you get the desired response you're seeking.
    Don't be bashful about ladling on a lot of Praise when he does give you a quick crisp sit

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    To be quite honest with you, I am not certain what you mean by "loopy". I would say slow.
    Then purchase Mike Lardy’s TRT program and follow that. Will tell you everything you need to know either way.
    Glen Guider, GA
    HRCH UH Candlewoods Captain Jack Sparrow MH QA2
    HR UH Candlewoods Small Town Southern Man "AJ" MH QA2
    GRHRCH UH Gandy's Ready for a Hurricane "Maggie" MH QA2
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QA2
    SML's Burn Notice "Fiona" QA2
    Red Squad's Randall Raines "Memphis"

If you can find a copy of Kappes and Curtis tapes from years ago (6 volume set) they will demonstrate in great details rope handling....crisp and clean fast sits...best basics program to watch...Randy
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohn View Post
    If you can find a copy of Kappes and Curtis tapes from years ago (6 volume set) they will demonstrate in great details rope handling....crisp and clean fast sits...best basics program to watch...Randy
    never saw that one... but I always thought the Farmer/Aycock Basics did a good job of showing the 'rope' method. Only thing I do differently is use a flat buckle collar... works much better than a choke chain, as they use in the video (for my own exp, anyway)
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

I have always started my pups out on a pinch collar. I use one that my trainer recommends that has no prongs in the throat area. Using a 30' lead I work on setting and can correct easily both timing and position, with the collar. Once the dog gets this 100% then I transition to the ecollar... My training for sit is also done when not formally training. We just go out for a walk around our property, I have her on lead, 30', but just let he wonder and smell around, then out of knowwhere I give her a whistle followed by sit, if she hesitates or sits off to one side, I say no, then jerk the roap, and say sit again...if she is still out of position, I drop the rope, walk to her and place her exactly how I want her to sit. The tell her again, 'sit'

This is the same routine I have used on teaching all commands once I know she knows what to do on any command, she gets the "no" jerk "say command again"

I follow that same routine once we have made the jump to the e collar.

Good luck

Swampcollielover You mentioned a pinch collar that has no prongs on the throat area. Can you tell me what make this is and where one might be able to purchase one?

Quote Originally Posted by rrbcsask View Post
    Swampcollielover You mentioned a pinch collar that has no prongs on the throat area. Can you tell me what make this is and where one might be able to purchase one?
    This is the one I use. I get the smallest size and add extra links as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Sprenger-Chro...s%2C166&sr=8-5