Which black lab studs whould you most want a pup from? - Page 10
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Which black lab studs whould you most want a pup from?

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1gunner View Post
    I’ve heard this before actually. So if you picked out the perfect dam and could pair her with any sire who would be your top 2-3 choices?
    In no particular order
    Lanes Let’s Get Ready to Rumble
    Road Warriors Dieter Brock
    Seaside’s Gorgeous George
    Curious why Deets?
    HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Parks View Post
    Curious why Deets?
    He is a talented dog from a productive pedigree. I knew and liked him when he was young. He adds oomph to the equation, perhaps a little too much to Trumarc’s Number 12 who is always fun to train and the most dangerous place in the field is between Roger and a bird. Deets puppies, at least this litter, are not for the faint of heart nor or they appropriate for novice trainers.

the most dangerous place in the field is between Roger and a bird.

I can relate to this pretty well. My girlfriend at the time was throwing marks for my 14 or 15 month old BLF. There was a bad throw, and the dog broke on the re-throw. She walked over to pick up the mark so the dog wouldn't be rewarded for the break but didn't realize how fast the dog was closing. As she bent over to pick up the bumper the dog hit her at full speed right in the jaw. It spun her around and dropped her to her knees. By time I got over there she was bleeding pretty good and had no idea what had happened. The result was a really bad concussion that affected her for months afterwards. She ended up missing a lot of work had to spend most of her time in a dark quiet room. It took so long for her to get better I started to worry she was going to have lasting damage from it. Oh, and it was a pretty awkward trip the emergency room that morning, bringing a girl in with that kind of swelling and cut to her face and telling them my dog hit her on a retrieve. She jokes about it now and will be the first to tell you "that dog will knock a b*tch out"

chris

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTannery View Post
    My eye is on an up and comer, Hockley Creek Switch Hitter. "Mickey"
    I just got my Mickey pup. At 7 1/2 weeks and WOW is all I can say. Already swimming like a fish in deep water, absolutely crazy to retrieve a paint roller, boisterous, bold, and fearless. Trainer friend of mine has 2 of her littermates and he says they are the best puppies he's ever seen. I know that doesn't mean anything in regards to how they can mark and will turn out, but I absolutely LOVE what I see so far.
    HRCH Laney's Chocolate Roux MH QAA
    HRCH Full Steam Coaltrain RIP

Quote Originally Posted by bamajeff View Post
    Trainer friend of mine has 2 of her littermates and he says they are the best puppies he's ever seen.
    Mickey is a wonderfully talented dog with a plus pedigree who has the genotype and phenotype to be a good or great sire. That being said I have heard this at least one hundred times in my years with dogs which always leads me to speculate that the person who proclaims this either has not seen many puppies or hasn’t seen many good ones.

I am quite impressed with Tubb. Not only is he a winner himself, I believe I read he has three offspring in this National. That tells me what I want to know! Best of luck with your new pup Dr. Ed.
    Carol Howey
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    (6/2/05 - 6/12/17) The finest animal I'll ever know.
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, SH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com/Carol/_carolBlog/

Mickey is a wonderfully talented dog with a plus pedigree who has the genotype and phenotype to be a good or great sire. That being said I have heard this at least one hundred times in my years with dogs which always leads me to speculate that the person who proclaims this either has not seen many puppies or hasn’t seen many good ones.
    He's seen quite a few. How many 'good ones'? That's debatable. Here's the sire of some of the pups he's seen over the last few years besides these Mickey pups.

Chavez
    Grady
    Clooney
    Slider
    Boo
    Juice
    Foxx
    Punch
    Last edited by bamajeff; 06-21-2019 at 08:50 AM.
    HRCH Laney's Chocolate Roux MH QAA
    HRCH Full Steam Coaltrain RIP

I'll also chime in on Ali...

When you judge, there are certain dogs who, when they come to the line, that you notice and say "who the hell is that"? Ali is the one that comes first to my mind...he is a big boy, 90 lbs +, but put together perfectly. You would think it's Mufasa coming to the line, with the ground shaking under his feet. The dog kicked back gravel when he was sent for his blind...a blind!

Amazing to me how a dog of his size & strength, and one that ran that hard never had any significant injuries. Speaks to how structurally sound he was/is. A spectacular specimen.

Tiger McBunn

Super Chief
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW http://www.sagaciouskennel.com/