Advice on preparing for Qual - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on preparing for Qual

You're getting some good advice; follow it.
    I will reiterate what others have said by emphasizing looking out past the short guns particular put the flyer and finding that long gun and watching the bird to the ground.

On blinds I would agree with Paul's advice but I would also say that's a double-edged sword for hunt testers moving up
    I've seen hunt testers try to win the trial in the blind be too precise but I've also seen them let em roll offline through an area where a hazard is and in the judges eyes not really challenge their blind. Then they wonder why they got dropped when they only use two whistles and somebody else got carried using 6 or 7 whistles
    If the true line to the blind goes past an old fall or the flyer crates used in the first series you better be pretty close to that line at that point.
    This is a generalization but I would see the hazard that Paul put in on being too precise and losing momentum is more applicable to water blinds, whereas the hazard I pointed out as more applicable on land blind.

I would also re emphasize SLOW DOWN!!
    Not only as has been pointed out to ID gunners and on the send, but I also often see em move too quickly to the next gun station as the birds are being shot. That only reinforces the dogs tendency to head swing Make the dog see the bird all the way to the ground and then some.
    If you're not running as one of the first dogs study the judge that's calling for birds and get his Cadence down. If the judge has a slower Cadence use that extra time to make that dog really focus on the bird thrown before moving to next bird.
    Lastly relax as best you canand enjoy

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I'd also expect to have much longer water entries.

In training I like to do plenty of long retired guns as singles with multiple short guns / stick men in the field. Sometimes run a blind before the long retired.
    Of course maintain a balance, don't overdo any one concept. Ensure plenty of success to maintain and build confidence.
    If you are offended by what is said, ask yourself, is it because it was true?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

The last couple I put into= Big ole Flyer station out in the middle with 2 long retired guns, several cover changes. Also they seem to run a blind in conjunction with the initial marking series usually right off the flyer station to some where a dog doesn't really want to go. Latest one was just short of a piece of technical water, and you guessed it many young dogs just had to hit that water, or had to go re-visit the flyer station. Taking them well away from the planted bird. Flyer tends to be first or second mark, challenging to get a dog to focus out past it for the others. Judges seem to like to hide the stations behind hay bales, usually there are several out there so the dog has to really focus on which one the mark came out of so that they don't run inbtw the wrong one. Also as a handler make sure you know which slot is the right one. Otherwise you can send you dog to the wrong hay bale.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 05-08-2019 at 12:32 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

Puts the mark to land right in front of water? I've seen that in HT with a bad judge but a qual?
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    Puts the mark to land right in front of water? I've seen that in HT with a bad judge but a qual?
    It was the land blind, which was ran right after the initial land marks; to the back side of the flyer station; just short of the water. A bunch of different challenges to be sure. My horrible drawing, this was a rolling hills pasture, in a sort of valley. One of the big problems dogs were having is they'd be heading out to the 2 long marks, go down in a valley losing site of the mark then get confused, they had to be able to push a hill to be able to see where the #1 landed, then push a second smaller valley-hill to get to where #2 actually landed. It ate a bunch of dogs up, those that did get out there could be confused by all the different hay bails. Pretty much a just survive series Qual land & blind.jpg
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 05-08-2019 at 03:09 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

All I know is if the mark or blind is placed in front of water, dogs were being good as in when you see water in front of you , get in. I totally don't understand with the drawing.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

A lot of my hunt test buddies have learned recently that FT flyer stations are way more tempting than HT flyer stations.

Shackled duck on the long gun is interesting. I will remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    It was the land blind, which was ran right after the initial land marks; to the back side of the flyer station; just short of the water.
    Do you know if dogs were dropped for over running and hitting the hitting the water or just for going back to the flier?
    If you are offended by what is said, ask yourself, is it because it was true?

Zack, Why is that? My one exposure to FT flyer station was in a derby but I didn't see anything unusual or unique about the flyer station.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack" RIP
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson" RIP (5/26/01-6/18/15)
    Castile Creeks Rawhide, MH "Rowdy"