How to get crazy to retrieve
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get crazy to retrieve

Question How to get crazy to retrieve

I'm following the Hillman puppy DVD and struggling a bit with getting my 1yr old golden crazy to retrieve on land. She'll chase anything that blows in the wind and return a bumper or two, but she's just not that keen and always seems to be looking for something else to do. She's better with sticks than with balls or bumpers. No strings on bumpers as she'll always grab them by the string. She likes weighted canvas bag bumpers but tends to destroy them by shaking while returning. With these complaints out of the way, she's a keen water dog and will enter the water and retrieve quickly from a lake/stream. I've not attempted to improve handling for water yet so she drops the object and shakes but at least she's keen to get it!

- I train 2x/day for 5-10 minutes on retrieving. I always try and quit with her wanting another throw.
    - She gets 2x 30 min walks/day and usually another 45-1.5hr walk.
    - I try to train after she's been crated and before eating.
    - She's very good with ring obedience (2 rally novice qualifications and 2 novice A obedience qualifications). Trained with positive/food and markers.
    - She is always on a 30' check cord during field work and I've not introduced an e-collar

I've tried running around, I've tried making noise (pup-pup-pup, doh-doh-doh, dee-dee-dee, etc), but she looses interest in land-based retrieving very, very quickly. We've trained daily for a month now and I'm still not getting much excitement or more than 2-5 bumpers per session. I cannot throw beyond my 30' check cord as if I drop the cord, she won't even bother picking up the object thrown. She'll run to it, but will usually find a blade of grass or smell that is more enjoyable. The only two things that get her drive up are me running and her chasing (note she quickly becomes more interested in me than the bumper I'm holding) or playing 'tug' either with a specific tug toy or a stick that I subsequently throw. I've not moved on to doing much/any field obedience as it seems to really kill her drive. So far, no 'fetch', no 'hold' and no 'heel' work in the field and certainly no 'traffic-cop' on land. I can get her to sit at the edge of water and retrieve an object.

Unfortunately, I have not found any clubs that regularly train locally (Kawartha Lakes, Ontario).

Hillmann repeatedly emphasizes the need for your dog to be excited and enthusiastic to retrieve before proceeding beyond the puppy video. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to build her drive?

I'm also at the point where I need to consider what training approach (i.e. Hilmann, Lardy, Farmer, Graham, Carr) to use going forward. Given the dog's disposition, does anyone have a suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Re: clubs .... although there may not be a club in your immediate area, there is the Georgian Bay HRC (Elmvale), Lake Ontario HRC (Peterborough) and Muskoka District CKC (Gravenhurst). Any of the clubs may have members living closer to you, so you may discover a training partner / mentor. The HRC clubs run regular hunt tests and training days. Not sure as to the field training that the CKC does.

As to retrieving drive ..... get her on birds ..... and the clubs can help you with that.
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (HRC & NAHRA 500 PT Club)
    HRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc SH
    SHR Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI (2003-2017)

Lake Ontario Hunting Retriever Club Trains in the Peterborough and kawartha lakes area. I believe the train ever other Sunday. If you want more info they are on Facebook.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

IMHO the dog is bored. I think you are training too much. Did you read the part of Hillman where he only trains 2-3 times per week? I would also cut back on the walks.
    The highlight of the dogs day should be when you train together. Sounds like there are lots of other highlights.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 05-09-2019 at 08:30 AM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack" RIP
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson" RIP (5/26/01-6/18/15)
    Castile Creeks Rawhide, MH "Rowdy"

I have a 10 week old puppy and also following Hillmann.

Question for Wayne-

So keep the training sessions to 2-3 times a week. What was your routine like during downtime? Lots of time in the kennel and short walks? Thanks for any further advice.

This topic has been on my mind as well.

Hillman addresses this somewhere in the dvd but: fun walks, exploring, experiencing new scents, jumping over logs, learning to get in dog box on truck and mule, riding on mule and going out with me when I set up for older dogs, learning to be on stakeout, etc.
    https://youtu.be/WP2B5604k0Y
    https://youtu.be/M5Ngg2oefC4
    https://youtu.be/Ah0KzDZI_Wk
    https://youtu.be/9g8eqkCmoD4
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 05-09-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack" RIP
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson" RIP (5/26/01-6/18/15)
    Castile Creeks Rawhide, MH "Rowdy"

Thanks Wayne. Those are great videos.

We have been utilizing the back yard and we went on a road trip to SE Texas to my parents place out in the country. He loved that.

I guess I just feel a little handcuffed right now because of his age and parvo around Dallas. Thanks for sharing.

I too started my current dogs on Hillmann. When I got my dog at nearly two years old, he came to me with very little desire for retrieving. Most toys bumpers didn’t interest him. But the one thing that got him going was a rubber duck that quacks. Bought it at grocery store. It’s still one of his favorite things to retrieve as a 6 year old MH. Here’s the link https://www.meijer.com/shop/en/dogs/.../p/71373329838

If a toy doesn’t get her excited, time to get your pup on birds and feathers. Let her chase a live shackled pigeon, then introduce her to ducks. Might be enough to pull out her desire. Then go back to bumpers and see if you get more desire to play the game.

Thanks everyone! I agree that she seems bored with retrieving. Sniffing and chewing are much, much more interesting than chasing and retrieving at this point.

Our fenced property is quite small. Suitable for teaching the basics of Hillman-style fetch with short throws but I cannot send her long in our yard. We do, however, live next to a nature area and there are 2-3 abandoned farm fields, a creek and a small lake all within a 45 minute walk.

We started doing 2-3 walks/day in order to keep tired with the adage that a tired dog is a good dog. Can anyone share their typical weekly/daily schedule for teaching retrieving and building drive to retrieve? One of the shortcomings of the Hillman Puppy video (IMHO) is that the program really doesn't present a schedule (or even an idealized schedule) for what one should do. I notice that he recently put up a youtube video explaining the ordering of training with his DVDs.

I would:

take her on fewer or shorter walks through fields and such. When she was a puppy and learning about the world, these type of walks were good... now that she is 15 months old, she doesn't need to 'explore', except to satisfy her own desires ..... When you take her on walks, are you letting her free roam or is she at heel?

work on obedience in association with positive rewards that put the focus on you, rather than her surroundings. This is why the Hillmann method is very good. The dog learns the fun is with the human, not all the other things going on around it....

also - at 15 mo you may be seeing 'what you have' in terms of a dog that likes to retrieve. I had one about 30 yrs ago (crap I am old) that just never amounted to much in the way of being a wild and crazy to retrieve dog. She was a golden and bred for being a companion dog, not a working dog.

just some thoughts
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.