Water hemlock, spotted water hemlock poisoning
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Water hemlock, spotted water hemlock poisoning

  1. #1
    Senior Member Jo Ann Reynolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    184

    Default Water hemlock, spotted water hemlock poisoning

    Would you throw marks for your dogs if they ran through or landed in an area thick with spotted water hemlock? If ingested, fresh or dried, Spotted water hemlock is extremely toxic to humans, dogs and livestock. If ingested, death is a frequent outcome. Most human poisoning result from children trying to use the hollow stems as whistles or from adults who mistake the plant for an edible one. Dog poisonings are generally accidental while doing what dogs do, grabbing things with their mouths.

    Here's the back story.

    There is a state owned dog training area near me with a large patch of spotted water hemlock (Cicuta maculata). The density is around 6-8 stems per meter square. It is in a area popular for training due to the strategic location of bushes and other factors which make for good marks.

    I asked the state to spray the plants as I felt it was a hazard for the dogs who might grab a bite of it while picking up the bird or absorb juice from crushed stems through their paws. And also possibly for the throwers if they if they got the juice on their hands and then touched their mouths or bodies. The toxin can also be absorbed through the skin. Keep in mind that most people have never heard of this plant much less know what it looks like.

    The state has agreed to spray to control, but not eradicate these plants. None of the dog trainers I have spoken with or that the state has spoken with have ever heard of a dog dying from this plant while working or training. None have even heard of this plant. The state has asked me to provide cases of dogs being poisoned by this plant. They want to respond appropriately but not overreact and cause panic. After conducting a moderate web search I have found three reports of dogs dying. One, a border collie mix in Colorado, another a Cocker Spaniel in the U.K., and a third, an English Springer Spaniel in Salmon Arm British Columbia. All the dogs were hiking with their owners when ingestion occurred.

    So, I am putting this out to the larger community to glean your collected wisdom and report back to my helpful state biologist. Has anyone heard of this being a hazard to dogs training or hunting in it?

    Do you know of any dogs who have sickened or died from ingesting spotted water hemlock whether training in it or otherwise recreating with their owners?

    What would you want the state to do under the circumstances described in the first and second paragraphs above?

    Do do you know what this plant looks like and what habitat it favors (wet Meadows, stream and Pond banks)?

    Finally, I'll repeat my opening question, would you throw marks from within or to a patch of spotted water hemlock?

    Many thanks!
    Jo Ann
    Connecticut

  2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Bill Stoune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Short answer, NO!

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    3,827

    Default

    I am surrounded by poison hemlock and train lots of dogs in it everyday. They tend not to eat it. I did have a puppy eat a little of the greens ,so I rushed him to the vet and the vet said a little of the greens won't bother him. She was right. But it would have killed a human in 20 minutes and a violent death at that. I would keep a dog that gulps grass when its not feeling right away from it,, because they tend to devour lots anything green when their like that. But over all the dogs don't mess with it at all.

    Pete
    The eye can not see what the mind does not know

  5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Jo Ann Reynolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Hi Pete, thanks for your reply. Although, I must admit that it doesn't make sense to me that it would kill a human but the same amount wouldn't bother a puppy. It is toxic to livestock, as well.
    Jo Ann
    Connecticut

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    3,827

    Default

    Hi Jo Anne
    I just don't know how all that works. I just googled hemlock and have found out that people have died from eating game birds that were eating hemlock seeds although it doesn't seem to bother the birds around here. When I First moved here I shot a limit of valley quail and was curious what they were eating .I was surprised to find out their entire crop was filled with hemlock seeds and a little green stuff. I thought to myself that if these were poisonous to people there would be dead people everywhere since they are in great abundance around here and so is hemlock so I took the plunge. My wife and I ate quite a few and were not affected at all. May be there is a biblical application to it, I don't know but I eat quail from time to time and they taste great. Any way I think certain animals tolerate certain things that are poisonous to us but doesn't harm them in certain amounts and vise versa,, but I would still caution people around hemlock because it is extremely poisonous to humans,, They make a lot of different medicines from it.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 05-19-2019 at 08:46 AM.
    The eye can not see what the mind does not know

Similar Threads

  1. Cheating in the water & Poor water re-entries - HELP!
    By Ryaneder1 in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 12:30 AM
  2. Water walk ups and lining on water (video)
    By fredhassen in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2011, 10:07 PM
  3. out/fetch in water - also beginning treading water
    By fredhassen in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 07:05 AM
  4. Water well
    By Jay Dufour in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 06:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •