Military Members of RTF as well as Pro Trainers? - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Military Members of RTF as well as Pro Trainers?

Kelley if you have USAA or Navy Fed (I imagine all banks would do it) you can set up automatic bill pay and then have the bank mail a check for free every month to their address.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I don't want to steal the thread, but I have a very similar question. I will be deploying in May and have a 4-yr that I trained myself (lab and son, but I'm talking about the lab here). She's a senior level dog and I've run her in a few hunt tests, but I never intended her to be a FTer, just a hunting buddy. I also don't like the idea of her sitting around for 7-8 months, but am curious as to if a pro would take such an old dog?

Quote Originally Posted by usmcellis View Post
    I don't want to steal the thread, but I have a very similar question. I will be deploying in May and have a 4-yr that I trained myself (lab and son, but I'm talking about the lab here). She's a senior level dog and I've run her in a few hunt tests, but I never intended her to be a FTer, just a hunting buddy. I also don't like the idea of her sitting around for 7-8 months, but am curious as to if a pro would take such an old dog?
    I can't imagine any pro having a problem with a dog that is 4 years old, In fact that would be a younger than normal dog for some pros
    Where are you located
    Thanks for your service

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Shelton View Post
    Kelley if you have USAA or Navy Fed (I imagine all banks would do it) you can set up automatic bill pay and then have the bank mail a check for free every month to their address.
    Almost any bank or credit union offers this service. They will just send a check to the payee on the interval you specify. It's probably the best option for a consistent payment. The only issue would be some of the variable expenses, like birds, handling fees, and travel/fuel to and from trials. I would think that you could incorporate an approximate expected value into your automatic payment and the pro would hopefully be flexible and understanding enough to allow you to reconcile the difference upon your return. There are some pros that don't even charge handling/transport fees. Find the right trainer for your dog and budget, then ask them if you can come up with a plan that makes sense. Since you're expecting to be gone close to a year, I wouldn't even necessarily restrict your search to local pros, unless that's where you feel comfortable.

Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey SH ***
    Soon to be the next big thing.

Andrew's Baby Saint 4/20/01-9/10/15
    The queen bee. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world. Forever my baby girl

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan View Post
    I can't imagine any pro having a problem with a dog that is 4 years old, In fact that would be a younger than normal dog for some pros
    Where are you located
    Thanks for your service
    Thank you. I alway assumed they wanted the dogs at about a year old. I'm in Central CA right now, but will be moving down to San Diego in the fall.

I used to train in SoCal. I can provide some input and contacts if you would like. Feel free to call or text. I’ll PM you my phone number
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by usmcellis View Post
    Thank you. I alway assumed they wanted the dogs at about a year old. I'm in Central CA right now, but will be moving down to San Diego in the fall.
    Just for clarification I did say that some pros trucks a four year old would be on the younger side.
    However I can see where a pro May reject a 4 year old dog who's not at the level of a dog that's had four years of training.
    Dog such as that may not fit in their program and can be a little harder to train than a younger dog.
    If I were you the situation I would want to avoid is putting the dog with a pro while you're overseas and the pro cashes your checks for year but doesn't do much with the dog
    If I were you I would accept Matt's generous offer.
    He used to be a pro trainer and is familiar with the Southern California dog community so he may be able to steer you in the right direction in regards to who would be a good choice for your dog and more importantly who to avoid.
    Another consideration is that in your situation where you're going to be overseas you don't necessarily need to limit yourself to California trainers since the ability to be close by has to be able to train with and monitor the well being and progress of your dog is not an issue.
    Good luck and thanks again for your service

Thanks Matt. Text sent.

Tiger. That was more of my concern with an older dog. I wouldn't say I'm a novice at this, but I am by no means a pro trainer in occupation nor skill and I'm sure I've made mistakes with her. I wasn't sure if a trainer would even want to fool with it. Thanks for the advice.

I've had to deal with this on many separate occasions. Talk to the pro and let them know your situation. It's not like we haven't been doing this for the last 2 decades, so they understand our situations and potential time for them to have the dog. As for payments, places like USAA or Navy Fed allow online banking. All I do is go in there through the Bill Pay feature and set up the times and amounts of when I want the checks to be sent. Then you never have to worry about internet. That said, in the last 15 years, I've yet to go to a place that doesn't have access to internet, even out in the desolate shitholes. Now it might be about as fast as dial up but you'll still have access. Hope this helps and good luck. See you over there.
    HR UH JND Gander Landin Ten Gauge CGC SH - "Gauge"

Kelley,
    Echo what all are saying. Been over and back numerous times myself. If your pup loves to retrieve he will love being with a pro training daily. Also, if he’s gonna be a family dog as well, using a pro nearby allows the family to go visit and see the skill level improvements in your pup. And they can take video and send/post it for you. Just my 2 cents.
    Stay frosty,

Zman