First Look
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: First Look

Default First Look

I was talking with a friend about a "First Look" thread that occurred in 2015. It was an exchange between Ted Shih and Dave Zalanardo. I've tried multiple ways of find it. Anyone out there have it marked or better at search than me?

Thanks

John Buesgens
    H2O Control Guy

Something I learned in the barn growing up. "Never walk behind a cow that is coughing."

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Hey John, I am not sure where that thread is either. I learned that concept at a Pat Burns Seminar, so I have not seen it written up either. The concept is not complicated, Pat just suggested that on multiple retrieves, when you dog returns with a bird, there is a high likelihood that the dog will go where it first looks on the next mark. The point of this was to do your part in making sure the dog is tractable at the line and will heel well. Then you must be in a position that when the dog heels it will be lined up for the next mark and will look that way first. We have all seen the handler that takes the bird first, then you hear "heel, heel, heel" as they try to line up for the next bird. Pat is suggesting that you avoid that scenario and that you will be more successful with a dog that come promptly to heel, settles in on the next bird before you take the bird from the dog and then let the dog re-settle (including breathing rate lowering) before you send for the next bird. Hope that helps.
    David Zalunardo

FC AFC Parriette's Abby Gale - 2014 NARC Finalist
    Parriette's Maxi Mag - up and comer (I hope)

"If you think you can or you think you can't, you are right"

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Thanks Mark not the exact one - But covers the same ground. Appreciated it!
    H2O Control Guy

Something I learned in the barn growing up. "Never walk behind a cow that is coughing."