Derby Question?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Derby Question?

Default Derby Question?

I have a 9 month old BLF that I have been training , she is doing outstanding according to a few different people that has seen her train. question is, how does some one learn how to run a Derby? or for that matter any trials? Is there any resources out there ? I train 99% of the time alone.
    thanks for any information .

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

First thing to do is get a rule book and study it,then go and watch several trials .Learn what is expected ,entering a young dog before you and the dog are ready can lead to bad habits.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotchocolate View Post
    First thing to do is get a rule book and study it,then go and watch several trials .Learn what is expected ,entering a young dog before you and the dog are ready can lead to bad habits.
    Thank you, where can I find a rule book?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Where are you located?

Need to try and find a training group that runs/trains for FT's, if possible. Hopefully there maybe some clubs close that hold training days as well.
    Mike Boles

Is there a retriever club near you? Look on Entry Express for the retriever field trials closest to your location and contact the event secretary or chair person. They may be able to refer you to a training group in your area.
    Your dog has to be steady, a good marker and comfortable with doubles that may be pretty tight.
    A typical derby will be four series of land and water doubles, all marks. There will be a shot flier, probably in the first series. It will be very tempting for the young dogs to return to the flier when sent for the second bird, especially if they have never seen one before.
    The marks may be quite long with compounding factors to influence the dogs, wind, cover changes, obstacles, angled entries, terrain, etc.
    I don't think it is a rule but probably no retired guns. It is likely however that cover and terrain will be used to cause the dog to lose sight of the gun in route.
    I would be good to train with a group at least once or twice a week if possible. The level of excitement is always elevated with more dogs and people around and young dogs need to get used to that. Lots of other advantages too, like throwers helping young dogs stick to the fall area.
    I only had a chance to run a couple derbies last year. Wish I had been able to enter more, they are a lot of fun.
    Last edited by drunkenpoacher; 06-04-2019 at 12:51 PM.
    "I'm thankful someone stood up to him, even if it was a woman." Franco 10/18/19

Quote Originally Posted by saltgrass View Post
    Where are you located?

Need to try and find a training group that runs/trains for FT's, if possible. Hopefully there maybe some clubs close that hold training days as well.
    I am near wilmington nc, I just hate to be a bother to an established group by asking a bunch of dumb questions.

Quote Originally Posted by K Rocha View Post
    Thank you, where can I find a rule book?
    https://images.akc.org/pdf/rulebooks/RFTRET.pdf

I am near wilmington nc, I just hate to be a bother to an established group by asking a bunch of dumb questions.
    If there is one thing most clubs need it's more members.

I can assure you wont be a bother to any group.. Look up Ashly Kite Mossbend retrievers.. He is not to far from you and can point you to a group. and will also lend a helping hand great guy and trainer
    Mike Boles

If you got a good arm they'll answer every question you got